Thanks for Scotland Info

May 22nd, 2005, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for Scotland Info

Thanks to so many of you in helping me plan our trip to Scotland this July. With your help I have planned all but two days in Invernary, Mull, Skye, and Edinburgh. We can't wait!! We are getting married, as well...so that's part of the excitement. We are now thinking about taking a ferry to Northern Ireland for the two days we have not booked. We are flying back to New York from Edinburgh, so that is where we plan to spend our last two nights. We would be coming from the Isle of Skye ( these are already booked) Not sure if there would be enough time... or if there is a ferry that goes to N.I. We have rented a car for the 10 days. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
May 22nd, 2005, 01:45 PM

YOu COULD do it, but I think it not worth the candle.

Go to the Borders.
May 23rd, 2005, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Shelia! After much time reading responses to people's questions I have learned to respect your advice. What borders would you suggest?
May 23rd, 2005, 06:11 AM

"What borders would you suggest?"

Sheila meant the Borders - the area that stretches generally south from Edinburgh to England. It includes places like Melrose, Jedburgh, Dryburgh, the SE Scottish coast, many castles, abbeys, nice scenery. It is a great place to tour for a few days.

Since you are leaving from Edinburgh, the Borders is a perfect area for your extra 2 days (you will wish you had more). The "musts" for me would include Dryburgh and Melrose Abbeys and St Abbs Head (sort of the Big Sur of Scotland) and as many other sites as you can squeeze in.

Other scenic places like SW Scotland and Ayrshire are just not as convenient for getting back to Edinburgh.
May 24th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Opps,didn't know what Shelia meant by "the Borders". Thanks, Janis, sounds like a much better idea then trying to squeeze so much in a short amount of time. Any particular place you would recommend staying for a couple nights? Around 80-90 pounds or so.