Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

11 days in Scotland, advice appreciated: )

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2006, 03:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

we are planning a 11 day trip to Scotland this August/beginning of September. We fly to (Wednesday) and from Edinburgh (next Sunday, early) and wish to visit a few cities during the stay. We are planning on bying a Scotrail pass for four days, that includes ferries. We were told that train tickets might be expensive if bought from the station, but with the pass, that is taken care of. And we were also told that with trains you get to see more compared to buses. Unfortunately car is not an option for us.

We have a preliminary itinery planned and would like to hear comments:

1st day: Train from Edinburgh to Glasgow
2nd day: Glasgow
3rd day: Glasgow (a day trip somewhere, but where?)
4th day: Train + ferry (?) to Skye
5th day: Skye
6th day: Inverness
7th day: Inverness
8th day: Inverness
9th day: Edinburgh
10th day: Edinburgh (a day trip to Sterling?)
11th day: Edinburgh.

Some of the hotels for our trip are booked (with cancellation possibility, so suggestions are welcome).
We thought we don't want to change cities all the time, so three days in Glasgow and Inverness would include day trips somewhere, any suggestions?
Also, we were wondering how to get to Skye with the train form Glasgow without going via Inverness?

Thanks for your help in advance!
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 04:16 AM

Would you not consider hiring a car for part of the time? You would see so much more of the countryside and maybe 1 day in Glasgow could do spending some time on the west coast.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Hi,

we know that a car would be really helpful, but I have never tried the UK traffic and I haven't even driven here in Finland for years, my skills are rusty and I don't want to stress our whole honeymoon about getting behind the wheel. My husband-to-be don't have a driver's license! Train it is!

Where more specifically in the west coast would you recommend?
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 04:49 AM
Pausanias

You don't really say where your interests lie, but giving your itinerary the once over, I'd say you have one too many days in Glasgow and two (or three) too many in Inverness.

You will notice that few Scots or people who have traveled to Scotland rave about Inverness.

If you are more specific about what you're looking for -- castles, hiking, historic sites, whiskey, music etc -- I think you'll get more helpful responses. Also, if you can't drive, I think that bus tours may offer more options than train lines.

Old Jun 13th, 2006, 04:50 AM

Sounds like an exciting trip! It is not as easy to get around Scotland without a car, but it certainly can be done, especially if your interest is the cities.

What are you planning to do in Inverness? I'm not sure the city itself is worth 3 days. I love Glasgow, which is great for the arts, especially the work of Charles Rennie Mackintosh. August in Edinburgh is very busy because its festival season. Have you already booked a hotel for that city? If not, you may need to stay somewhere outside the Edinburgh (Glasgow or Stirling for example) and do a few day trips into the city.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 04:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I can guarantee that once the Scotland experts weigh in you'll be advised not to spend time in Inverness unless you have a compelling reason. Been there, done that!

Upon their advice we shifted to Nairn, nearby and also accessible by train. We also increased the amount of time we are spending on Skye. In fact they completely rewrote our original plans, and for the better. We leave in 12 days.

Have a great trip, however it turms out!
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 04:55 AM

When I left Skye (having taken the train from Inverness to get there) I took a ferry to Maillaig, and then onto Glasgow via Fort William.

Looking at your itinerary, I would steal a day from Inverness to spend more time on Skye or in that area.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 04:57 AM

There are companies that do bus tours from the major cities, so you could train between cities and do some day trips with a tour company. I personally have loved the train trips I have taken in Scotland.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

We originally had planned to stay only one day in Inverness, but thought that with our luggage and all, we were best to stay a few days in each place and to make day trips. One day in Inverness is surely enough, but we wanted to make day trips to Cawdor Castle for example.
On the 9th day, we thought we'd leave Inverness early and travel to Stirling and spend the day there before continuing to Edinburgh for the night.

Old Jun 13th, 2006, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Forgot to say a few words about our interests. We were thinking about renting bikes, in Skye for example. Good idea? Should one book bikes in advance?

Other interests are just seeing different kind of cities, museums, castles, beautiful sceneries. Nothing specific, just enjoy Scotland and find a good pint!
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 05:05 AM

Even from what you describe, I think two nights in compact Inverness is enough -- and I quite like Inverness! Check out the offerings at the Eden Court theater. You might enjoy catching a play or movie there.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 07:08 AM

If youre going to stay in Glasgow then let me recommend the Carlton George hotel - only a few steps from the train station(Queen Street Station).The hotel has a free mini bar in the room and a lounge with free alcoholic and non alc.beverages.Check websites for deals for this hotel.
To the west of Glasgow there are so many nice places to go to. Last weekend we were staying in the city(my daughter lives there) and we took the road to Dunoon and the ferry back to Gourock from Dunoon and motorway back to Glasgow. Loch Lomond is good and the drive to Oban is also interesting. You could take the train to Oban and stay 2 nights there- take the ferry to Mull and Iona. My daughter tells me that Iona was the most romantic place for her and her fiance! So many good places to go.
I agree that theres not a lot in Inverness.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 08:04 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK - no car it is. But some comments: three days in Glasgow but only one on Skye - why did you choose Glasgow? it is a vibrant city but not a place I'd go at the expense of Skye/Edinburgh/Stirling or even Inverness. Plus the train from Edinburgh to Glasgow is so short and cheap you are wasting a day of your pass.

Actually inn your situation, I would stay 2 or 3 nights in Inverness - and I almost NEVER recommend I'ness. Th ereason it works for you is there is a lot to see w/i 40 miles of there and being a tourist center there are frequent public buses and even guided tours to places like Culloden, Ft George, Cawdor, boats on Loch Ness, boat trips to see the dolphins off the Black Isle, etc. So go ahead and stay 3 days in Inverness.

How does this look to you?

Train from Edinburgh to Inverness - stay 3 nights.

Train/bus to Skye - stay 2 or better yet 3 nights.

Ferry/Train to Oban - stay 1 night

Train to Edinburgh - 4 nights
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 08:07 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry about the typos, but I think it is clear . . . .

also meant to add - if you skipped Oban you could spend one day/night in Glasgow.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 11:18 AM

I don't have too much to add, just that one night on Skye is definitely not enough time to appreciate all the beauty there.