Aiguille du Midi

Jun 5th, 2007, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Aiguille du Midi

I am wondering how cold it is in early July at the top of the cable car.I don't want to have to pack heavy clothing if possible. Also, will it save me time if I make a reservation and buy our tickets ahead of time? I would like to avoid lines and allow more time for the trip up and back. Any other tips appreciated. Thanks
Jun 5th, 2007, 08:27 AM

In the sun you can sunbathe, out of it you need to dress warm - windproof coat, gloves & hat at a minimum
Jun 5th, 2007, 08:38 AM

are you sure you can book tickets ahead and avoid lines? when i took it it was FCFS and there were lines so go early in the day as possible.
Jun 5th, 2007, 09:06 AM

The Rickster says you can reserve up to ten days in advance, at the nearby TI booth or by telephone. Here's what he says:

"In peak season, smart travelers reserve the Aiguille du Midi lift in advance, either at the information booth next to the lift (open mid-June-mid-Sept) or by telephone (year-round, tel. 08 92 68 00 67, €0.34/min, automated reservations in English). For €2, you can reserve up to 10 days in advance and must pick up your reservation at the lift station at least 30 minutes before your departure. Reservations are free with a Multipass (see Rick's France guidebook for details). Note that you can't reserve the télécabines to Helbronner."

Here's the link to the whole page:

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/desti...e/chamonix.htm

Jun 5th, 2007, 09:13 AM

We were there in late June a few years ago and it was chilly and windy at the top, but nice and warm if you were out of the wind. So pleasant that I actually sat out for a bit in the sun, forgetting that I wasn't wearing sun screen, and unfortunately ended up with a pretty severe sun burn. So be careful with the sun exposure, as you're at high altitude and there's less atmosphere between you and the sun.
Jun 5th, 2007, 09:14 AM

The only problem in booking ahead might be if you are locked in to using it on one particular day. When we visited Chamonix, the day we planned to take the cable car up was actually very cloudy and it would have been a bit of a waste. We waited until the next day which started out cloudy and then the clouds broke...we hopped on and the adventure was breathtaking! We were there in mid June and didn't have jackets with us when we boarded the cable car...wow was it cold at the top! I would recommend taking a sweatshirt up with you just in case. The view is spectacular!!
Jun 5th, 2007, 09:18 AM

A very good point about the reservations, caroltis. The weather is very unpredictable, and you wouldn't want to be locked in to a cloudy/rainy day. Best strategy is probably to go as early as possible--6 or 7 am.
Jun 5th, 2007, 04:06 PM

When we went in July a few years ago, we definitely needed warm clothing. My husband and I each took a Polartec type of fleece. There were certain points where I was actually quite cold and would have loved some gloves as well (just not enough to pack them). We did not have reservations and did not need them, but we arrived shortly after opening as I recall.
Jun 5th, 2007, 04:12 PM

We were there in early July 2003 and did not book ahead. Like a previous poster stated, if it is cloudy you may want to wait for another day. We did not have to stand in line at all for our tickets and we went mid-morning.

We all wore long pants and had light jackets with us and we were fine. It was a bright, sunny day.

Chamonix is lovely. Have a great trip!
Jun 5th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Unfortunatly, we arrive on a Wednesday late in the day and leave on Friday morning. So whatever weather we have on Thursday will have to do. I hope it will be nice. We will have light jackets along and bring gloves and a hat. Hopefully that will be enough. I can't wait!