Scandinavian Captials

Search

Scandinavian Captials

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2003, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scandinavian Captials

We are cruiseing the Scandinavian Captials and would like to know how easy it is to get from the Port into the center of the Cities and any tips for the best way to see the City in 7 hours.
Old May 30th, 2003, 03:14 PM

The ports of all the Scandinavian capitals are within walking distance from the city centers.
Old May 30th, 2003, 03:37 PM

I will say that when I left Stockholm on the Silja line last June I don't think it was within easy walking distance of the city center. I took a cab and it was more than a mile northwest of downtown. I remember reading that some cruise ships for Stockholm at some times of the year dock clear out on the coast line of Sweden: an hour bus ride and certainly not walkable.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 04:51 AM

The Centre of Helsinki faces right on to the Port. The main square is less than 700 meter from the 3 main terminals.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 06:26 PM

I did a similar cruise two years ago. The only port that was inconvenient to the central sights of the city was St. Petersburg. Copenhagen, Oslo, Stockholm, and Helsinki were all within walking distance of the cruise terminals. There are plenty of options of what to do in each city. In Copenhagen and Stockholm they have several city canal cruises available. The one in Stockholm to the Royal Palace is a good bet. You might consider the double decker hop-on/hop-off tours that will take you around most sights in each city with headphones to boot.

You'll have a blast - this will be a great experience.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 06:03 AM

Depends on where your boat docks as people above have mentioned. We were close enough to walk in Stockholm, Helsinki we were at least a 20 minute walk from the center (cruise line provided shuttle buses) but some boats were docked right in the center, Tallinn was about a 15 minute walk (cruise line also had shuttle buses here) and it appeared that most boats were docked along with ours.

If you are going to St. Petersburg, you will likely either hire a private guide or go with a ship tour, the docking area for most ships is in a commericial port quite a way from the center. I'd highly recommend a private guide, it wasn't much more than the ship tour and we saw a lot more and had a private tour.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 06:12 AM

"Indytravel" is right about the Silja terminal in Stockholm (to reach it, take the T-Bana or metro to Gärdet then walk) but most cruise ships berth nearer the centre of Stockholm. It depends on which ship it is, but I'm sure passengers are told where they are even if it isn't obvious by looking out of a porthole.