HAL Baltic Cruise--Stockholm

Old Mar 12th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HAL Baltic Cruise--Stockholm

I am booked on the Amsterdam for Gems of Baltic cruise in June. The list of ports states regarding Stockholm: "Scenic cruising Stockholm Archipelago." Does this mean that we won't get off the Amsterdam for a Stockholm excursion? We'll be in port from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. (Can't get in touch with TA.) Thanks.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 09:19 PM

I really don't know, but it sounds to me as if you will have port time in Stockholm from 8 am to 6 pm and THEN cruise the "Archipeago" on your way to the next port. We took a night ferry to Helsinki through the Archipelago and back the next day. I think the reason they mention it is that it is an incredibly beautiful sail.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 06:34 AM

strand48: We were on HAL's "Gems of the Baltics" cruise on the old (now retired) Noordam in August 2004. Our itinerary read similarly to your's with regard to Stockholm. On our cruise, the Noordam entered the Stockholm Archipelago as soon as it got light in the morning. We sailed through the Archipelago for about three hours until we reached the dock which, in our case, was very close to the center of Stockholm. Once docked, we had about 8 or 9 hours in Stockholm. Upon our departure later that afternoon from Stockholm, we again sailed through the Stockholm Archipelago out to open waters. The Archipelago was beautiful and fascinating (in each direction!), and Stockholm was a highlight of that trip (one of many, I might add). In fact, if we have but one regret about our Baltics trip, it is that only one day in Stockholm was insufficient.

Once we docked in Stockholm, we immediately got off the ship and took a cab (which, as I recall, seemed to me to be the most expensive cab ride in history!!!! We were in a metered cab and the fare came to nearly $40 (U.S.) for what seemed like a relatively short trip) to the Vasa museum. After the museum, we walked a short distance to the ferry pier and took a commuter ferry to the center of the City. Once in the center, we wandered and observed the sites, then concentrated the remainder of our time on the small, narrow, twisted and incredibly interesting streets of Stockholm's old town. Did some shopping, had a nice lunch, some (too much!) Swedish beer and, finally, walked back to the ship for our late-afternoon departure. It was a great day in a great city. Have a nice trip!
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so very much for this very quick and helpful response. I hope now that our situation will be the same as yours. Helsinki precedes Stockholm in our itinary though, and after Stockholm comes Visby, Gotland, Sweden. Any info on this?
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Since my initial query, I have found out that the Stockholm stop does indeed include excursions into the city. My TA gave me my booking number, which then enabled me to find out what was available at each port. Thanks again for your help.