Sandals in Paris & London in October?

Old Oct 7th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sandals in Paris & London in October?

Am I daft? I feel like an idiot even asking this in public: Do women wear open shoes (particularly, heeled sandals) in the evening in Paris and London this time of year (October)? Or is it way too late for that kind of look?

In San Diego we still do it, even when it's cold outside (because it's always warm inside). Would it look way too out of place in cold, dreary, London? How about in Paris?

Old Oct 7th, 2005, 01:04 PM

In London women will wear strappy sandals in the evening all year round if they're going somewhere smart. It's not the only option but it won't look out of place.

The weather in Britain can be so rubbish at any time of year that we just shiver in the interests of fashion!.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 01:53 PM
ira

Hi C,

Your little toesies are going to get cold and wet.

Old Oct 7th, 2005, 02:15 PM

I was just in Paris and London recently, (mid-late September, and I can't say I saw a soul wearing sandals, even though it was reasonably warm.

It's boot season everywhere near the 48th parallel, Cali.

Jules
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 05:10 PM

Yes - of course you can do this - as long as you're traveling exclusively by cab in the evening.

If you plan on walking more than from the restaurant or theater to the cab - or takng the tube or bus - there's a good chance you will end up with wet, cold, dirty feet.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 05:33 PM

Chris -- I'm glad you asked this question...it's been on my mind too as I'm leaving for Paris next Wednesday and wanted to take the strappy sandals for our special evening at the opera.

Hmm...maybe I'll take some slingbacks or mules -- heels out, toes covered...
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 12:48 PM

Just returned from Paris yesterday. The weather was cool, but everyone is dressing in jackets and scarves already. No open shoes to be seen, even in the stores. I did see plenty of women, even riding motor scooters, with black high heels. Stores are showing some boots, but mostly shoes, still seeing pointy toes but also rounded ones. Shoes in the US are not so far behind in fashion as other clothes items. Women tend not to wear mules or open back shoes. Definately bring a brightly colored scarf or shawl, forget about glamorous shoes- its all about the neck.
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 01:00 PM

Totally agree with keeping the feet covered. If I were going to the opera or a show in NYC right now, I would not have open shoes. I think the same goes for London and Paris.

As a friend of mine said, "our boogers are black in London." Imagine what would happen to your toes.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Since I only pack what I can carry on, every cubic inch will be spoken for anyway. So the sandals are out. Boots and closed toe flats are in, since it seems that even in the event of an unseasonably warm patch, the sandals would be just TOO San Diego for words. (You know how provinical we are.)