London in February!

Oct 18th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

London in February!

I am taking my significant other on a surprise trip to the UK from Feb 6-17, 2007, which also means that we will be there for Valentines Day... so with that being said, we could possibly hop to Paris in the morning, have lunch, quick sightseeing and come back to London the same night? What do people think?
Oct 18th, 2006, 03:32 PM

We did London in January last year and it was great. There are no lines and just wear warm clothes and enjoy. As far as going to Paris for the day, it really does Paris an injustice. It's too important a city to just stop in. Stay in London and do the theature. It's the best!
Oct 18th, 2006, 03:35 PM

Well, it could be done, but why? Isn't London in February romantic enough for you?
Oct 18th, 2006, 04:25 PM

If you haven't purchased air yet, why not do an open jaw ticket? Start in London for 1/2 the time, then take Eurostar to Paris for the remaining time, flying home from there. You have a nice amount of time to do both cities. Oh, I see that you said the trip is to the UK, not just London. That changes everything! Never mind
Where else are you planning to visit? Save Paris for another time...
Oct 18th, 2006, 04:43 PM

Just do it. Get the earliest train to Paris and the latest return.
Oct 19th, 2006, 12:39 AM

Don't expect any bargains.

You won't be the only person in London thinking a Eurostar to Paris on Valentin's Day (or over the weekends before and after) is a romantic idea. And Eurostar price accordingly.

If you want dinner when you get back, Feb 14 is the one day of the year reservations are essential just about everywhere in London.
Oct 19th, 2006, 02:27 AM

I'd go for the paris day trip idea - it's a much more romantic setting than london, IMO. [in fact, I'd do the whole holiday in Paris, but that's just me!].
Oct 19th, 2006, 04:50 AM

You have plenty of time to do more than a day trip to Paris so make it a few nights and enjoy yourself.
Oct 19th, 2006, 06:01 AM

I agree with BarbaraR. You won't get the true beauty of Paris by taking possibly the first eurostar out and last back. There is just so much to see. Just really depends what you want to see and if you are both prepared to forfit not seeing all of it. Its possible but the eurostar will be extremely expensive on this day. With 10days in london is it not possible to stay overnight in paris ? Whatever you decided make sure you book resturants etc in advance. I live in london but Paris is definetly MORE romantic!
Oct 19th, 2006, 06:38 AM

Eurostar makes a day trip possible for sure - but quite expensive for the short time you get in Paris. And especially in winter when the weather can put a crimp in things.

(for the folks who are getting ready to jump in yelling the weather will be the same in London - I don't mean bad weather keeps you from having a wonderful visit in either city. But if it is sleeting you won't be taking any open top tour buses, walking in the parks, or climbing to the top of Notre Dame for sure. In winter I just like to take my time and not rush about so much)

You have enough time to spend a week in London and 3 days/2 nights in Paris (assuming Feb 6 and 17 are your travel days) That is what I'd do.
Oct 19th, 2006, 07:15 AM

There are ways to minimize that expense of the Eurostar and those have been discussed extensively here in the past. As I recall it involved booking online but doing so as if you lived in London rather than the US so all of that may end up being important to you.
You could do a search for that information.

It's your trip..don't let anyone else (not) take it for you.
Oct 19th, 2006, 07:28 AM

Last year I took a quick trip to London (5 nights, I think it was). One morning, I left my stuff in the London hotel except for a small overnight bag. I took a morning train to Paris, spent the night and took a late train back to London the following evening.

I hadn't been to Paris and wanted to see a little. Having the afternoon and evening, plus the next morning and afternoon was great. It was a little rushed, but not too much.

I preferred it to going there and back in the same day...
Oct 19th, 2006, 08:28 AM

If doing the day return to Paris via Eurostar you should reserve these special day return fares as far in advance as possible - if you just show up you could pay literally hundreds of bucks more (for two) - start your search at www.eurostar.com for fares in pounds - search for day return fares and then compare them to RailEurope's in U.S., who charges about $97 for a day return plus a $15 booking fee and $15 mailing fee - fees you will not pay on www.eurostar.com i believe - but RailEurope's prices could be better at times - depends on availability - and the two sites do not offer similar prices or availability it seems so check both. www.raileurope.com for U.S. prices - i always recommend calling BETS (800-441-2387) however and talk to someone who is expert in these bookings as Raileurope is notorious for displaying one fare and then when they confirm it later may say it's higher (many Fodorites have complained about this for online RE fares) - BETS works thru RE but will give you the lowest actually bookable fare. Prices currently i think are better on www.eurostar.com but always check - and don't just show up at Waterloo station and buy then or you could pay $200 or more return unless you can stay over at least one night.
Oct 19th, 2006, 10:26 AM

We did a daytrip to Paris in February a few years back for our anniversary. It was well worth it to say "I love you" while viewing the city from the Eiffel Tower.
Oct 19th, 2006, 12:44 PM

Ahhh Paris, city d'amour. What a wonderful idea. Eurostar trains will get you there in 4 hours. So 7am start you will get in for coffee and a croissant at 11am.

A stroll around looking for the right restaurant or cafe to have lunch in then to the wonderful monuments.

A run around Paris on the underground will make it easy for you to see many things in a short time, especially on line (C). This takes you up and down the river. We took in a number of the famous monuments when i was there last. http://www.hotels-paris-france-hotel...ame-cathedral/

and

http://www.hotels-paris-france-hotels.com/la-madeleine/

are just 2 of the stops. Hope you enjoy it I know we did very very much.
Oct 20th, 2006, 12:41 AM

If wanting to get the cheapest tickets for Eurostar the best place to look is the FARES pages of the Eurostar website and then about 60 days before you are due to travel they'll be bookable.

Raileurope will allow you to book further in advance & have it sent to your home but won't offer all the possible fares (including the cheapest ones)

As for which version of the website to look at - it all depends on when Eurostar last changed their prices to reflect exchange rate changes

So the best tactic is to do it for multiple countries which will require you to delete the Eurostar cookies from your cookies, close your browser then open it again & go into the Eurostar website and choose a different country - I normally choose France, UK & US and then compare the prices using www.xe.com
Oct 20th, 2006, 07:37 AM

Book early for Eurostar. Daytrip definitely doable. You're also going one week before half-term holidays so less screaming kiddies to ruin your romantic get-away ;-)

Somerset House has open-air ice skating rink. Just note it gets dark early--by around 4pm so get your photoes earlier in the day.
Oct 20th, 2006, 10:03 AM

Unfortunately, the Somerset House skating rink closes as of Jan 28.