Search

San Gimignano accommodation

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2008, 09:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Gimignano accommodation

Hello!
Just wondering if anyone has stayed at either Palazzo al Torrione or Casa dei Potenti in San Gimignano. We are looking at these for accommodation in March. Does anybody have other recommendations?

Thanks,
Ozlinz
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 09:42 PM

yes, Oz:

IF you will have a car, I highly recommend you stay at The Hotel Pescille, about three miles south of the town..magnificent views, pool, gorgeous surroundings, own vineyards....then you can do day trips and head back to SG in mid afternoon when the tourists are about to leave. Check out this website...wonderful lodgings...still on our Top Ten list even though we last stayed there in '02.

Stu T.

http://www.pescille.it/pescille/index_en.php

Those are the towers of SG in the background..Pescille is the series of buildings in left corner...
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 01:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Tower,

The photos look beautiful, but I have my heart set on waking up in San Gimignano - on my birthday! Any other suggestions anyone??
Thanks, Ozlinz
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 02:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A few years ago we had 3 nights at this guesthouse in San Gimignano.

http://www.sangiroom.it/indexe.htm

It was a lovely place, run by a very friendly Italian family. They also owned a nice cafe in one of the two squares, where you could have breakfast if you wanted. Breakfast was not included.

The building was 14th century and had been gutted and redone inside, it was lovely, nice furnishings, clean new bathroom and very central. Good for popping back for a siesta or to drop off your shopping. Some very nice shops in San G.

This was not like a hotel with a reception, it was more like a B&B without the breakfast. Our room had a view of one of the towers, I was in heaven.

Kay
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 03:53 AM

How about La Cisterna...you not only can wake up in San G but you can have a wine toast on the balcony soaking in the view!

http://www.hotelcisterna.it/inglese/frameset.html
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 03:55 AM

I stayed at the Palazzo al Torrione in May 2006. The location is great and the owners arranged for private parking in a lots a few minutes walk away. They took us and our luggage from the parking lot to the B&B and back again when we left.

I thought it was very good value for the money. The room was well appointed with a nice bathroom and a terrace. The air conditioning wasn't working but we didn't need it in May.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Kay,
I have actually e-mailed them re availability, but they have not replied. It looked lovely on the web-site.
Travelfan & Crazyfortravel-I have sent requests to both your suggestions, thank you!
Ozlinz
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 07:05 PM

We stayed at Relais Santa Chiara, which was within a 10-minute walk of the walls. Smallish rooms, but lovely views from some of them. I'd recommend it!
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 07:20 PM

Hi ozlinz --

We have reservations for the Torrione in May. You might want to check out the reviews on Tripadvisor.com. They make it sound pretty good.

Good luck!
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 08:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ozlinz - we had a 5 week trip to Italy a few years ago and did find that Italian hotels/B&Bs were a bit lax in replying to emails. I think it's an Italian thing - maybe they think, I'll do it later. Who knows. Anyway, if you find somewhere you are keen on, I'd persist with follow up emails. They may even be away over the winter.
Kay
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Decisions now have to be made!
Ozlinz