Cotswolds Way question

Jan 19th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Cotswolds Way question

I've been trying to plan a walking trip in England for a group of four. We zeroed in on the Cornwall Atlantic coast, only now to be thinking about the Cotswolds Way as a possibility.

The trip will take place in mid-April and, from what I gather, the Cotswolds will be slightly warmer and drier at that time of year.

Are there any other reasons to choose the Cotswolds Way over the Atlantic coast in Cornwall, (Westward Ho! to Padstow) or vice versa, at that time of year? Is the scenery of one place more dependent, for example, on the green and the colors that the warmer weather brings?

Thank you very much!!

Katherine
Jan 19th, 2008, 08:08 AM

the country is green pretty much year round pretty much everywhere. Cornwall is warmer just about year round - but often will seem cool due to the winds off the water.

I would think you are a bit more likely to get good weather in the SW than in the Cotswolds at that time of year - though you can get glorious or nasty weather in both areas.

The Cotswolds are absolutely lovely and a great place to walk -- but it is not an area of dramatic scenery like coastal Cornwall. There are more villages w/i short walks of each other and some great viewpoints from some of the higher hills. But the parts of teh coast are gobsmacking spectacular.

It mostly depends on what you want - dramatic coastal scenery/fishing villages, or more pastoral, gentle scenery w/ really beautiful "biscuit tin" villages.
Jan 19th, 2008, 08:18 AM

Temperature and dryness are non-issues in the Cotswolds. No time of year is significantly or reliably drier than any other - and what's temperature got to do with anything? You're not planning sunbathing, and even in the middle of January you forget it's a bit chilly after the first couple of miles. I can't imagine even thinking of preferring the Cotswolds over Cornwall (or vv) on the grounds of relative temperature, except in midwinter.

These days, the Cotswolds are green practically year-round (like today, for example), unless we've been unfortunate enough to have one of those horrible hot summers, which made the fields arid-looking and brown in 2006 from late July till September.

Given how mild this winter's being, the likelihood spring in the Cotswolds comes early is quite high. It'll be well established by April, with all trees budding, lambs born and gambolling though obviously many flowers won't be out. They're often out earlier in Cornwall, though this isn't really the point of coastal Cornwall.

The real decision point is Cornish coastal grandeur versus Cotswold cuddliness. That's your call: there's no data anyone can give you that'll affect your preference
Jan 19th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Janis and FlannerUK. Yes, I do understand the choice as you've laid it out. I really want to visit both places which is what accounts for the struggle.

Temperature surely has something to do with a pleasant walk, Flanneruk. If it's too cold, it's not a terribly inviting idea, particularly if there's the likelihood of rain.

But you've both answered my question regarding weather and green surroundings. It sounds like neither location edges out the other in that regard.

Thanks a lot!!!
Jan 19th, 2008, 08:50 AM

It's never too cold to walk in the Cotswolds. If we're having a bad summer, it can be uncomfortably hot for walking in July and August.
Jan 19th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

One more question, if you don't mind. Does the Cotswolds Way involve a lot of walking along roads? Clearly there's road walking through villages but outside of the villages does the path follow roads most of the time? Walking through villages and down country paths in fields is very appealing to me but not so much walking along roads.

Thanks!!
Jan 19th, 2008, 09:52 AM

No. There are a couple of link bits (hundred or two yards mostly) on very, very minor roads. There's also a bit of pathway repair going on which is supposed to involve duplication, so you'll still be walking on a footpath even though the other path's being repaired - but who knows whether that'll work 100%?

But if you have a mile of road in 100 of path, I'd be surprised
Jan 19th, 2008, 01:53 PM

someone posted a very nice, long, detailed trip report on walking in the Cotswolds. I would search for and read it.
Jan 20th, 2008, 01:22 AM

I think this is the report mentioned...

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34885006

You could also look at

www.cotswold-way.co.uk

www.nationaltrail.co.uk/Cotswold

http://www.sherpavan.com/trails/cotswold_way.asp

And if you are searching elsewhere, it will help to remember that the region is called The Cotswolds, but the walk is The Cotswold Way.
Jan 20th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Bigtyke, and thank you very much, Julia, for posting those links!!!
Feb 4th, 2008, 02:17 PM

book marking