Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

where to stay in Cornwall and the Cotswolds?

Old Mar 5th, 2007, 03:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone!
We are going to be in the UK late May early June. We are planning 2 nights in Cornwall (attending the Minnack Theatre) and 3 nights in the Cotswold. From the base in the Cotswolds we would like to visit Oxford, Stratford-Upon Avon and Warwick castle ... we will have a car.
Can anyone suggest a good location in either area and perhaps B&B's that are good . B&B's are our preferred accommodation.
Thanks to all
Rosie
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 05:23 AM

Lots of good places to stay but some advice for the Minack...
are you going during the day or evening. If evening take sleeping bags/duvet/ski suit or the like to wrap yourselves in. Just 'warm clothing' and a blanket doesn't do it. We were there in a pleasant August and it was absolutely freezing - we just hadn't imagined how very cold sitting on a ledge on a cliff edge facing into the Atlantic ocean would be. We'd taken a blanket but it wasn't enough. The really wised up people were, yes, literally sitting inside sleeping bags/under duvets. With big warm hats on top.
Lots of people had to leave because of the cold. I stuck it out from sheer stubborness but my boyfriend had to go and sit in the car waiting for me as he couldn't stop shaking with cold.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 05:59 AM

Hi Rosie - Really you could choose any of the Cotswold villages as a base. Driving distances aren't great ...

Chipping Campden? Bourton-on-the Water? Lower Slaughter? Stow-on-the Wold?

Really you can't go wrong ...

Steve

Steve
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 06:11 AM

I suspect choosing a place in the Cotswolds as a base probably involves a number of factors.

Last Fall we went through this same decision-making process and ultimately chose to stay in Broadway which ended up working out very well.

We stayed at a place which had ample parking and we found it easy to drive to the various towns, sights, etc. But I suspect you could say this about numerous other places as well.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 07:30 AM

As has been said by other people, anywhere in the North Cotswolds would be OK.

I would suggest Moreton-in-Marsh or Stow-on-the-Wold. They are pretty much in the middle of Oxford/Warwick or Stratford.

Personally I think Broadway or Chipping Campden, although both pretty "villages", would be a litle too North but wouldn't be disasterous if that's where you wanted to go.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 07:45 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Somewhere in the Stow on the Wold/Burford/Northleach triangle would be a good/convenient base.

And for Cornwall - somewhere within the St Ives/Penzance/Helston triangle. Anywhere around Mount's Bay or St Ives Bay would be close enough for the Minnack.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 08:05 AM

If you are attending the Minack Theatre I would recommend the Porthcurno Hotel http://www.porthcurnohotel.co.uk/ which is within walking distance of the theatre. The hotel will put you together a picnic and loan you cushions, blankets etc for your theatre trip. We've stayed there before for a Minack performance and liked it. Its not fancy, but the food is very good, and we love the location in Porthcurno - it is a really beautiful area of Cornwall.