to go to cotswold or not ....

Old Feb 17th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to go to cotswold or not ....

My husband is going on a golf trip to Ireland with buddies and he is suggesting i meet him afterward and drive through Cotswold. I generally do not like to travel in Europe in the summer because of heat and crowds. I REALLY don't do well in the heat. What can I typically expect weather wise in the month of July? Thanks so much.
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 08:36 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"Cotswold" is not a place. The Cotswolds is a region west of Oxford - so I assume your husband is flying in from Ireland and you are flying into London - right?

Neither Ireland nor England will be "hot" - though there can be warm days. But the weather can (and probably will) be anything including warm, cool, sunny, rainy - you name it.
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 11:38 PM

I'm glad you've got a sensible attitude to weather. Hot weather makes practically anything civilised impossible.

Fortunately (further proof that God is English) we're rarely cursed with such bad weather here. Every two or three years, we get a couple of days in July when it's a bit warm for serious walking, so we have to stay close to rivers to let the pooch roll around in them and keep cool. Otherwise heat just isn't an issue.

And we don't like crowds. One of the reasons we don't let hotels get built here is to make sure the few small towns that attract a lot of visitors get them back into their coaches by 5pm.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 05:38 AM

Flanneruk, some years ago a professor at Yale determined that the perfect average temperature for human intellectual activity is 52F. Average temperature in New Haven, CT, home of Yale? 52F
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 07:01 AM

See, isn't that just typical of the superficiality of these johnny come lately universities?

Oddly, says www.worldclimate.com, the average annual temperature in New Haven is identical to that in Oxford.

But common sense says it must be low temperature variation that contributes more to intellect than the annual average (a subtlety they presumably can't quite manage on the wrong side of the Pond). And - predictably - when it's hot in New Haven it's hotter than in Oxford (72 F in July against Oxford's 62). When it's cold it's still colder (a freezing January 29 F, or -2.3 in real money, while here in Oxfordshire we're basking in 39 F, 4 C). Year-round equable temperatures are doubtless part of the explanation for why the Cotswolds are more intellectually productive than Connecticut.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 07:13 AM

Seems to me there is scope for a proper Cotswold theme park somewhere. It could be built far away from all those pesky locals, so could have proper six-lane roads leading to it. There would be plenty of space for proper hotels with air conditioning, decent showers, soft toilet paper, and a 20% tipping rule.

A sort of Disneywold.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 07:37 AM

Too late to patent it.

From the Disneyworld website.
Shudder ;-)

"Travel thee to jolly old England, where you can stroll through an informal area with a 1500s-style thatched-roof cottage and canal or stop to catch the beat of the British Invasion at a formal square with a Hyde Park bandstand. Find a bounty of British toys at The Toy Soldier, unique clothing at the Sportsman Shoppe, English perfumes and soaps at the Queen's Table, and more authentic British goods at other delightful shops. Enjoy fish and chips at the renowned Rose & Crown Pub and Dining Room. And don't miss the one-and-only Pam Brody and the comical World Showcase Players, entertainers sure to tickle your fancy"
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

I love it - thanks so much for your responses as they are informative and equally entertaining! I do know that Cotswold is a region and not a place...I guess I should have said "the Costwold"...sorry.

The weather sounds very do-able for me -- guess I had better start planning!

We have done most of our traveling in Italy and France where crowds can definitely be an issue and that's one reason we like to travel there in the off season - sounds like the crowds may be more tame in the countryside of England.

Again...thanks so much for all of your input. carol
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 07:53 AM

"Seems to me there is scope for a proper Cotswold theme park somewhere."

Florida would be the perfect location, if its weather wasn't so unsuitable for intellectual activity. Or California, though of course everything there's unsuitable.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 07:56 AM

Miss P:

I thought you were taking the piss till I googled it. Bloody Hell!

CW's right. They really are all ments.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 08:28 AM

That's chilling.

It's 25 years since we took our son on the "Small World" ride at Disneyland Anaheim. He still tries to deck us if we talk about it.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 08:53 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
caroltis: you missed the s in my post. It ain't "the Cotswold" -- It is the CotswoldS
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 09:34 AM

Taking the piss?

a sweet little old lady like me?
I had a closer look at that site and the pub menu is worth examination.
http://tinyurl.com/2mnxsg
No wonder they think that British food is horrible.

You can get Fruit and Cheese Plate - Stilton, Stage Derby, and Cheeses from Five Counties (Derby, Leicester, Cheshire, Double Gloucester, and Cheddar)
I can't wait to sample "Stage Derby"
You can also have prawn cocktail.
This must be the last known prawn cocktail in captivity unless the Aberdeen Steak House still does them.

Don't miss the ploughman's lunch
sliced beef, turkey, ham, English cheeses, marinated vegetables, and a boiled egg over mixed greens and Branson pickles with a choice of Stilton cheese dressing or mustard vinaigrette

Then you can sample the delights of
Steak and Fish - Grilled Steak with horseradish aioli, Harry Ramsden's Batter-fried Fish, green beans and mashed potatoes.

That sounds absolutely revolting!

Old Feb 18th, 2008, 09:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Miss P -

don't tell me that you missed G. Ramsey's kitchen nightmares where he tried to up-date one restaurant's take on a prawn cocktail?

what next? - J. oliver doing scampi and chips? M-P White's sausage and mash? [but then again...]

have you spotted the rare black forest gateau recently? not quite an endanagered species - at least, not here in Cornwall. yum yum.

regards, ann
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 09:51 AM

then there's the example of a New Haven resident moving to the Cotswold and thereby raising the collective IQ of each area