salzburg daytrip to berchtesgaden

May 31st, 2003, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

salzburg daytrip to berchtesgaden

We will be in salzburg for 3 days in late June and we're thinking about going to Berchtesgaden one of the days. Is the train the best way to get there? (No car) And is there another day trip that would be better? From what I've read, 2 days in Salzburg will be enough. Thanks
May 31st, 2003, 09:35 PM

Berchtesgaden is a slow train trip. But it is nice. Two days is not enough for Salzburg if you go to concerts, Schloss Heilbrunn, and a performance at the Marionetten Theater.
Otherwise, 2 full days might be enough.
May 31st, 2003, 11:31 PM

There are tourist vans that do daytrips to Berchtesgaden from Salzburg that can be arranged by your hotel.
Jun 1st, 2003, 06:18 AM
jmw

I remember the daytrip in reverse (we were staying in Berchtesgaden) as a delightful train trip. Maybe it was the nice scenery, but it didn't seem long to me. Have you checked a rail site? J.

Jun 1st, 2003, 06:30 AM

The trip by train from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden can be as short as 46 minutes or as long as one hour and 15 minutes. Then you must allow time to reach the train station.
The bus is often quicker.

And it is Schloss Hellbrun.I mistyped it. The trick water fountains are fun, if someone else gets wet.
Jun 5th, 2003, 07:37 AM

I just arrived back 1 week ago from a trip to Europe. We did 2 days in Salzburg and I really wish we had had 1 more day. We took the train from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden and it took exactly 1 hour. You stop at every little village. The bus schedule looks much faster. We just happened to miss the bus and would have had to wait the hour...so we opted for taking off on the train and enjoying the scenery...and it is a pretty ride. I would start early and maybe find out the schedules the day before. I don't know what you plan to do in the village, but there are some nice sightseeing cruises on the Kongisee lake, you can see Hitler's Eagles Nest retreat and there is a salt mine to explore. Hope you have a good time.
Heather
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:18 AM

Wner,

We have been to Salzburg 5 times and finally got to see everything we wanted to the first time we went. Just do what you can and plan on going back again. We did the bus tour from the hotel and for the money you get a pretty good tour. By the time you buy train tickets, tour costs, and wondering around trying to find stuff, a guided tour is a good way to go. Have a good trip.

Greg
Jun 5th, 2003, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.
Heather, Do you remember the approximate cost of the train tickets vs. the bus tickets? I read in one of the guidebooks that it is only 12 miles between the two towns, so I guess they must make a lot of stops.

Greg, Do you remember the cost of the bus tour and what was included?
Thanks, WNer
Jun 5th, 2003, 03:15 PM

Can't help you on the transportation part of your querry but I can reccommend taking the boat tour of the Konigsee. We loved it. On the far end of the lake there is a stop where you can take a brief hike to another beautiful lake.

Enjoy your trip! Cheers, the turnip.
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:57 AM

WNer-
Since we were told to buy a ticket on the bus and then just missed it, I can't tell you the exact price. My guess is that it is around 2 euros cheaper than the train...which we paid 6.40eur for. Yes the train does stop at many little spots....far more than the bus does. We did take the train both ways though due to being a Sunday and the bus stopped far earlier than the train for the return that evening...so 12.80euro roundtrip. I heard someone say that the bus had gotten them there in around 12-15 minutes. Good luck.
Heather
ps. Panorama tours has quite a few tours in the area, including one to Berchtesgaden....I think I remember the price being in the 40euro range in the brochure.
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:30 AM
jor

Hitler's Eagles Nest near Berchtesgaden is a must see. Berchtesgaden itself isn't all that much to see. Used to work there!
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:54 AM

You can get timetable for both train and bus on http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Königsee (walk or take a bus from Berchtesgaden) is the best day trip from Salzburg when it is sunny.

King Ludwig II's palace Herrenchiemsee (train to Prien) is also nice.

The ice cave Eisriesenwelt (train to Werfen) is the best day trip if the weather is gray (www.eisriesenwelt.at).
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:44 PM

WNer,

As I recall the bus tour cost was in the $40-$50 range. The nice thing was that you went to the lake district and the Eagle Nest. You get a pretty complete tour of the area and you don't feel like you aree being rushed. Have fun.

Greg