Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

5 Days in München - is Salzburg possible?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I'm from the States, but I'll be flying into München from Istanbul for 5 days. Alright, so I know it's possible to visit Salzburg within my time-frame, but that's not important. What's important is whether I'll enjoy the back-to-back excursions and how exhausting, if at all, it might be. If it matters, I'm 21 & drive an hour to work and back everyday. Oh, and I like to take my time with traveling and really don't like rushing at all.

Well, I'm just curious as to whether a 'Day 4' stop in Salzburg will be [a] worth the effort, if there's any involved [b] a hassle, best avoided, and time better spent in München or even [c] a relaxing train ride followed by a nice day in a different city with another relaxing ride back to HQ. Here's my itinerary.

Day 1 - Thursday - Arrive in München at 9:50AM and enjoy the city for the remainder of the day.

Day 2 - Friday - Walk around the city, relax, sightsee, and soak in whatever I can. (Not a big museum or touristy kind of person.)

Day 3 - Saturday - Grab a Bayern-Ticket and head to Füssen around 6-7AM (I'm a real early bird) and be back in München by 7-8PM.

*Day 4 - Sunday - Possibly Salzburg with a Bayern-Ticket also. Leaving for Salzburg around 6-7AM and and then leaving Salzburg around 5-6PM.

Day 5 - Chillax around the city again, see what's up, and then catch my flight which is leaving back to Istanbul around 9PM in the evening.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or tips provided.
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 03:02 PM

Looks good.
Salzburg is an easy day trip. Since you can leave that early with the Bayern ticket on weekends, you will have quite some time to spend. Hard to tell if the sights of Salzburg are exactly your cup of tea. Some 20somethings might find it too "quaint"
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 04:32 PM

It does look good. We did an itinerary very much like yours a few years ago. My sons, at that time, were 14 and 19. They loved Salzburg. We left on an 8:00 a.m. train and had plenty of time for the day. The train ride was relaxing and pretty (take some food). There was no hassle at all. We arrived and walked everywhere; then took the train back in the late afternoon. Upon return, we had rested on the train and were ready for the evening. You have more than enough time in Munich that I think you will enjoy the day in Salzburg.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 03:50 AM
ira

Hi B,

Is anything open in Salzburg on the Sunday you will be there?

Old Aug 11th, 2010, 03:56 AM

It is worth going to Salzburg for the day. There are organized, one-day bus tours or you can get DB (German Rail) which is great! It's a lovely train journey, book in advance on the DB website for good offers! Yes Salzburg is quaint but fab!
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 05:10 AM

ira -
What on earth should be closed on a sunday?!
The cathedral, the fortress, Hellbrunn castle, museums.. sunday is the big day for all the sights and attractions (and restaurants, cafes, etc).
(Non-tourist/non-souvenir) shops will be closed.
But I doubt that the young man plans a shopping trip.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 06:43 AM

We spent four days in Munich, and two of those were day-trips via train to Fussen and to Salzburg. We enjoyed the trains, seeing the countryside, and spending time in each of these nice towns.