Search

Rx in Barcelona

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rx in Barcelona

I have a couple of medications that I will need to bring with me on the trip to Barcelona. I tried to get an advance refill of the rx but my insurance is being obstinent that they will only pay for 30 days at a time. I could pay for it in advance in full but the cost would be nearly $300. Is there anyway I can bring the RX with me and have it filled there?
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 10:15 AM

Just the way not all European medicines are available in the US, not all American medicines are available in Spain.

You may have to pay extra and have your refills sent to you in Barcelona.
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 10:33 AM

An American MD has no prescribing rights in Spain. And there is no guarantee that the same medication is available in the same strengths (most are but by no means all). I would try again with your insurance company - offering to send them copies of your plane tickets and hotel reservations. Or just bite the bullet and pay for the Rx.

Your other choice is to go to an MD in Spain and get the necessary Rxs there - but I'm not sure how much this would cost - since it wouldn't be an emergency.
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 11:26 AM

You'll have to take you prescription into a pharmacy to see what they have, either your prescription or an equal product. Spanish Pharmacists are well trained, so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

If they cannot match your prescription, they will let you know. If they can, you’ll find that it will cost you far less than what you would pay at home, a product of government controls and socialized medicine, something we'll never see in the States.
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 11:31 AM

I had this issue as well when we traveled to Europe last time. I am fairly certain I was able to get advance prescriptions at the reduced price by having my doctor (or pharmacist - can't remember exactly) call the insurance company and explain my situation. It might be worth a try.
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 04:36 PM

Go to your pharmacy and have them call the insurance processor - the people who process your claims - and have them ask for a "vacation override" - I work for Walgreens and we go it all the time. I've never seen an insurance policy that didn't allow for an override - and on ocassion we have been able to get an override for periods as long as 6 months!!. If your pharmacy can't do this then contact your people at work in Human Resources and have them contact the insurance company and approve the override you need. It is a lot easier to take your RXs with you than try to get filled in Europe.