Best of Spain in 5 days?

Old May 1st, 2005, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Best of Spain in 5 days?

Myself along with 3 other college grads are planning a trip to Europe in June. We will be coming from France and want to get a good taste of Spain. We will be flying out of Barcelona and prefer not to move around every night. What are the highlights and "don't miss" secrets of Spain?
Old May 1st, 2005, 06:05 PM
rex

It seems to me that your question(s) ought to bgin with why it is you think you want to go to Spain in the first place.

If you had five <u>weeks</u>, then you could sample several of the many flavors that make up Spain. But with five days, I'd say you ought to minimize moving around, and focus around Barcelona since that's where you need to end up. Anything else is a &quot;waste&quot; of considerable money and time (which you don't have a lot of), in my view.

You don't say from where in Frace, but if it's from Paris, note that Easyjet can fly you cheap from Paris (Orly) to BCN - - other options are listed on www.whichbudget.com

I'd say that Barcelona can keep you busy for two, if not three days, easily. For nearby appealing destinations, the only place(s) I can list are Seu d'Urgell (on the way towards Andorra) and nearby Montjuic - - liked by many (even though I have never actually been there). You would likely want a car for this outing - - and that might sense best if you wanted to make additional day trips.

Others ought to be able to tell you about the beach scene (mostly) north and south of Barcelona.

Or to the west - - (again I <i>think</i are interesting destinations at Tarragona and/or Lerida (Lleida).

Of course, if you really had a different picture of Spain (Andalucia or Madrid/Toledo/environs or the Basque country) in your head, then this isn't very useful advice.

More info from you would lead to better advice.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old May 1st, 2005, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

ok...we can narrow down the region of interest to the North, from Bilboa to Barcelona, in say...6 days? is it worth it? or would it make more sense to settle down in and around barcelona for such a short time?
Old May 1st, 2005, 07:32 PM
rex

I cannot answer from experience - -but I have seen this question more than once - - and I have virtually never seen anyone advise &quot;connecting the dots&quot; from Galicia to Catalunya, as you describe it. I don't know if the roads (or rail service) are poor, or there just isn't much of interest - - but there never seems to be any enthusiasm for &quot;cutting across&quot; Spain this way. I think you can get to know Catalunya and not lose interest in five days. If you get restless, head to Collioure (France) - - less than 20-30 minutes across the border (I think) - - and beloved by legions here.
Old May 1st, 2005, 08:22 PM

The &quot;Best of Spain&quot; is not to be found in the area around Barcelona, IMHO, and you don't have enough time in any case. That said, make the best of your time in Catalunya where Barcelona is. See Barcelona and a bit of the Costa Brava or maybe fly to Ibiza if you three are into celebrating your graduation. Have a look at Penelope Casas' book, Discovering Spain.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 09:00 AM

My wife and I were in Barceloa for seven days and didn't do everything. Sitges is a great beach town and there are nice beaches along the Costa Brava. Sitges is easy to reach by train from Barcelona. I wouldn't ovr ftom the Barcelona area with only five days.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 09:41 AM

I'm a college student and preferred Madrid to Barcelona, but I'm probably in the minority of people who would say that. I have friends who had visited Galecia, the Basque region and Bilbao and really enjoyed those areas, and of course the South is supposed to be nice as well.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 01:08 PM

dburton- It depends what you want. Do you want to party? Do you want museums? Or do you want to use these 5 days to get a taste of Spain without putting yourself out without regard to any of the other concerns? If it's the latter, then I would recommend staying around Barcelona because you'll be in France and you're flying out of Barcelona. There is plenty to see there. And for a side trip, I recommend Cadaques on the Costa Brava and Figueres (for the Dali Museum), which is about two hours by train from Barcelona. While Cadaques is absolutely gorgeous, artsy, off the beaten path and relaxing, it's a pretty sleepy town. I would say the same for Barcelona in general - it has more of a small city feel.

So you'll have to decide what you want out of Spain and decide accordingly. I suspect you won't find too many people who would tell you that you could hit the highlights of Spain in five days, though.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 01:56 PM

I drive across Spain from Bilbao to Barcelona by way of Burgos, Soria etc. Skip Burgos and you probably can do it in two days, and spend a full day (2 nights) in Bilbao. It's very nice, but not the best of Spain.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 03:02 PM

&quot;drove&quot; is the proper tense.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 04:41 PM

I am an Spaniard from Castell&oacute;n , which is two hours and a half from Barcelona by train. With just 5 five days I wouldn't go much farther.
You can visit Nuria in the Pyrinees, which is really stunning, Figueres and the Dali Museum its near from there and you can go by train. You can hire a car in Barcelona and visit &quot;L'anoia&quot; which is half an hour from Barcelona and it's the place where the cava comes from. You can visit the cellars and the landscape is beautiful ! As someone suggested, some places on the Costa Brava like my favourite, Tossa de Mar , are beautiful and you can go by train too. You can do a boat trip from Blanes which shows you the coast from the sea And of course, Barcelona. Maybe it's not the best of Spain but it's a good taste for such a little time
Old May 4th, 2005, 02:38 AM

&lt;&lt; narrow down the region of interest to the North, from Bilboa to Barcelona, in say...6 days? is it worth it? or would it make more sense to settle down in and around barcelona for such a short time? &gt;&gt;

You can get a taste of Spain (with an Euskadi accent) in Bilbao Capital of Vizcaya. The Basque cuisine is 'to die for! But for a broader view, consider a 'loop' thru Aragon (Zaragoza) &amp; back north to Santander, Capital of Cantabria. From Santander you can daytrip to Santillana del mar, the Picos de Europa, Comillas, and Bilbao. A day bus to Barcelona leaves Santander around 09:30 and arrives Barcelona 17:00.

Aragon, Cantabria, Vizcaya and Catalunya should give you a good taste of Spain (Christian Spain, not Moorish Spain).

Old May 4th, 2005, 03:53 AM

Five days: there will be plenty to do in and around Barcelona asmentioned above. And , if you really are into &quot;partying&quot; (depending on your interests and how much stamina you really have) you can easily do all of that in the city itself.

You'll get a taste..of Barcelona. Don't be foolish enough to think that it represents &quot;Spain&quot; any more than New York or Los Angeles represent the US.