Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any cool places around Barcelona for a 6 day trip?

Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Hubby and I are going to Europe in October and plan on spending the last week in Spain (London and Paris are our first stops). We both want to go to Barcelona for the arts, but after a bit of research, I'm starting to think Barcelona is out of the way from all the other nice scenic drives and cool little villages in Spain. Anyone has recommendation on an itinerary we could do in 6 days including Barcelona....or should we just change or plans and see another part of Spain...Thanks!
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 10:51 AM

Arts is a very expansive term. Barcelona itself with the architecture of Gaudi and Puig creates a sense of design that is rare for a city. They also have a well preserved Gothic Quarter and a vibrant comtemporary gallery world. But the museums in Barcelona pale in comparison to those in Madrid.

Same is true for what a cool town maybe. There are scores of worthwhile towns throughout Spain.
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 11:17 AM

Adu has a point... Barcelona is a special city. If you are looking for scenic drives and cute villages, Andalucia might be more interesting .
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

I assumed Barcelona would have a nice Picasso or Miro museum. We are already doing London (Tate) and Paris (Louvre and Pompidou)Maybe it would be of pale comparaison...Where's the best modern art gallery in Spain? Bibao? Kind of out of the way...It just seems impossible to skip Barcelona from friends reports...and small typical villages away from bustling big cities is what I was hoping for around Barcelona. Re-thinking this whole spain in one week idea! Thanks for the help!
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 11:40 AM

Barcelona has a Picasso museum, I thought Miro too - you can go to Figueres for Dali and for picturesque there is Girona. I have heard that Cadeques is also very nice. I really see no reason that Barcelona will not make a pleasant end to your trip but without a doubt there is also plenty to see in other parts of Spain. But no way you can see all of the highlights of Spain in one week!
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 12:27 PM

We spent 6 days in and around Barcelona and loved it. Our interests tended to scenery and small towns so we drove up the coast into South France. There is a route which includes the Dali triangle for art lovers. Stopped in Cadaques, Roig, Port Bou, Collioure France, Villefranche de Conflent, Ax Les thermes, and Andorra and finally Montserrat. Cool coastal scenery and mountains in Andorra. A great 6 days.
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 12:47 PM

Barcelona is one of my favorite cities but the Miro and Picasso museums are limited in their scope. Search for imgaes of Gaudi and to lesser extent Josep Puig, to understand some of the great attractions of Barcelona. Do not think of Barcelona in terms of museums but architectrue as art.

The building in Bilbao is worthwhile not the collection.

The modern art gallery that is in the most unusual location is in Cuenca.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuenca,_Spain

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl...952273014034,1
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 12:49 PM

'Where's the best modern art gallery in Spain?"

Madrid, Museo Reina Sofía .
Picasso museum In Barcelona is not very big,
Miro is very good.
Barcelona is a fantastic city, but not what some people consider " real Spanish" i.e. sangria, flamenco, Moorish architecture ...
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 01:02 PM

I've been to Barcelona twice and really liked it. I've also been to Andalucia and Madrid/Segovia/Salamanca - with one week you obviously have to pick one area and Barcelona is just as interesting as any other area of Spain. Besides the art museums, there is all the Gaudi architecture - as good as anything in any museum. Plus the waterfront, the old town. And within a few hours drive are several wonderful small towns - Besalu, Cadaques, up into France is Collioure and Ceret (which has a well known art museum).

Here is a link to my most recent trip report - http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...and-france.cfm

And my photos are at: www.pbase.com/annforcier. There is a gallery for Barcelona and another labeled "northern Spain/Southern France" with the towns I just mentioned. There are also galleries for other parts of Spain but since you started out thinking Barcelona I see no reason to change.
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

thank you for all the great information. It's a very good start for my planning. Cuenca seems like the kind of hidden gem we are looking for...it will definitively be a though choice between Madrid and the surroundings and Barcelona and the coast (nice photos Isabel)
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 02:07 PM

Personally I'd stick with the area around Barcelona. You only have 6 nights total and Barcelona itself deserves at least 4.

While Cuenca is nice it is over 5.5 hours one way from Barcelona - quite a haul for a 2 day trip from Barcelona.

You could easily spend all 6 days in Barcelona with daytrips to a couple of places (Montserat, Figueres, Girona, Tarragana, Besalu, Vic).

Alternatively you could take a couple of days and stay in Girona or Cadaques (w/daytrip to Figueres), or Tarragona. These places are within 1-2 hours of Barcelona and could be done using public transport (Cadaques would be easier with a car though).
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 12:13 PM

Actually, if you're interested in Picasso, Paris has a fantastic Picasso museum, in a beautiful old house.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 12:54 PM

from what I understand, Picasso museum in Paris has been closed ( or will be soon)for renovation. Until 2012.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 01:59 PM

Although smaller, I actually like the Barcelona Picasso museum better than the one in Paris...perhaps because I prefer the earlier periods? The Miro museum is good -- and I wouldn't overlook the Museum of Catalan Art; the Gothic section is wonderful.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

thank you for all the art info; this is exactly the kind of comments I was hoping for...I will look up the one in Paris and see if it is open.