Royal Horseguards or Selfridge Hotel

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Angela

Royal Horseguards or Selfridge Hotel

I will be spending a long weekend in London in July and have found great rates for these hotels £55 per night for a single room inc. breakfast at the Royal Horseguards, £45 at The Selfridge.
Has anyone stayed in either of the hotels and which would you recommend in terms of facilities and room comfort. Is the Royal Horseguards worth the extra £10? Are the single rooms very small? Are there affordable cafes/restaurants on site? (by affordable I am thinking lunch for less than £5, evening meal for less than £10). Is the breakfast good? Location is not a problem as I walk everywhere and I think both hotels are pretty central.

I know London itself fairly well, but not these hotels as I usually take day trips. I am returning back to the UK from living abroad for a couple of years, so I feel like being a tourist in London for a few days before starting work again

Thank you!
Angela

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 11:12 AM
janis

I know both properties well. But I haven't stayed at Selfridge, and last time I stayed at Horseguards was 25 years ago. So my comments are not about the rooms but about the location, public rooms etc. Both are very nice and in convenient locations. But for a vacation in London I would choose Royal Horseguards hands down. It is in a wonderful location and many of the rooms have river views. It is just more "special"

Whether that is worth an extra £10 per day is up to you though. As I said -- selfridges is nice too.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 01:24 PM
Angela

Thank you Janis

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 01:45 PM
Leslie

I haven't stayed at either, however, my boss and his girlfriend stayed at the Royal Horseguards. It is a 4 star deluxe hotel in Thistle's chain, the best one of all. My boss told me that he and his girlfriend had a beautiful room, great amenities, and the location can't be beat.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 11:36 PM
Angela

Thanks Leslie ,

I have done a search on the two hotels and although not much info on them. I think I have read your previous post