Rothenberg ob der Taber

Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Rothenberg ob der Taber

Any ideas on how many days I should spend in Rothenberg? Any recommendations on hotels and restaurants? I was told that you don't need to spend more than 2 days max. Thanks
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:18 AM
DAX

One night is enough really. The nightwatchman tour is the reason to stay overnight.
Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:00 AM

Two days is nice to be in town when all the crowds leave in the evening. I second the night watchman's tour, leaving from town square at about 8 pm in english. Don't miss the museum of medieval torture or the out of the way Landsman museum (have to ask for the key at a nearby restaurant)--seldom talked about, truly worth a visit to see a "typical" house from centuries before.
Talk a nice stroll outside the town walls to the village of Detwang--look at the famous painted altarpiece there.
Stop on the way at the Toppler Schlosschen (mini-castle) with photos on the top floor of wartimes (ring the bell for the owner to let you in, small fee). Have lunch and dinner at a cosy cafe tucked under trees...
Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

what exactly is a nightwatchman's tour?
has anyone stayed in Hotel Gotisches Haus? It looks amazing in the pictures.
Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:07 AM

The tour is a delightful walk around the town with a local fellow who dresses up like a night watchman and tells funny stories about the history of the town. Not all funny, but all very entertaining and educational. Not to be missed.
Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:21 AM

We went to Rothenberg as a day trip from Nuremberg, which was fine, but I did wish we could have stayed overnight so we could have gone on the nightwatchman's tour. That sounded like it would be really good.
Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:31 AM

I agree one full day/night is enough. I haven't done a Night Watchman's tour so can't comment on that, but I saw a group on tour and it looked like fun. The town is very beautiful at night.

If you are interested in staying in the vicinity of Rothenberg but not the city proper for a second night, I highly recommend Burg Colmberg for a true medieval castle experience (with all the modern conveniences, of course). www.burg-colmberg.de
Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the information!!
Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:25 AM

Just a hint, in case you are looking for information on the internet: The town is named "RothenBURG ob der Tauber".
Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:52 AM

We really enjoyed Rothenburg, but found one day/night to be enough. And definitely take the Nightwatchman's tour!

We stayed at the KlosterStuble and were quite pleased. The hotel is very centrally located, the rooms are nice and cozy, we had a fantastic breakfast spread, and their restaurant is worth the effort even if you choose not to stay there. http://www.klosterstueble.de/ISY/index.php?call=en_home

Tracy
Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:56 AM

We ate at the Goldene Rose. The food was mediocre. Unfortunately, all four of us got sick and we believe (although can't prove) that it was from the restaurant. Hence, I would avoid it!

However, we stayed at Pension Poschel and Frau Poschel was amazing while we were sick. It was about a close to having a grandmother take care of us as we could get
Aug 3rd, 2006, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

KlosterStuble looks beautiful, i couldn't get the picture for Pension Poschel but I'll definitely look into this. Thanks
Aug 3rd, 2006, 02:43 PM

We arrived late one afternoon and went on the Nightwatchmen's Tour that night. It was fun and informative and made the next day more interesting as we wandered on our own. We left the next evening and felt that one full day was enough.
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:34 PM

I agree that you don't need to spend a lot of time there, also that the night watchman's tour is fun. I liked the town much better in the evening and in the fairly early morning best because all the day-trippers are gone.

I've stayed at the Hotel Gasthof Glocke three times and have found it very pleasant. They also had a good restaurant in the Glocke.
Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:34 PM
DAX

I'm sure just about every hotel in Rothenburg is adequate. I've stayed at the Klosterstueble as well (in 1999) and enjoyed our mini suite with breakfast nook, but we had breakfast in the hotel traditional cafe. It's an old family run hotel with enough charm & amenities to be enjoyable, so here's another vote for Klosterstueble.
Aug 15th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Is it necessary to book hotels ahead in Rothenberg? Or can I just wing it and try to find a room once I get there?
Aug 15th, 2006, 07:23 AM

P - Yes, we stayed at Gotisches Haus and loved it. We had the unusual corner room....great bathrooms! Great location right off the main square and I too, recommend the Night Watchman's Tour. Have a great trip.
Aug 15th, 2006, 08:14 AM
ira

Hi P,

>Is it necessary to book hotels ahead in Rothenberg?<

When are you going?

Aug 15th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

I'll be staying in Rothenberg for 1 night on Sept 7 and drive to Munich next day.
Aug 15th, 2006, 09:44 AM

We stayed at Hotel Gerberhaus - http://www.romanticroad.com/gerberhaus/ and enjoyed it. You definitely need to do the Night Watchman's Tour -- it is fun and informative. I would advise booking hotel ahead as you don't want to spend (waste) your time looking for a place to stay.