Original Poster

Car vs. train for this itinerary in Italy

Day 1-5 Venice

Day 6 Ravenna

Day 7-8 Assisi with a train trip to Perugia for the chocolate festival on day 8

Day 9 - maybe a day trip to Spello on the way to spend the night in Orvieto

Day 10- a day trip to Civita (by bus or car) and then go to Rome

Day 10- 14 Rome

We are trying to decide whether to use train/bus for days 6-10.

Or just rent car in Venice or Ravenna and return it in Orvieto on day 10 and then take train to Rome. Would Venice or Ravenna be easier for car rental?

I personally love to rent a car for part of the trip, and my husband is willing but he does get uptight about driving, parking, etc.

Suggestions?

Aug 14th, 2006, 08:10 PM

Pick up the car in Venezia and drop it off in Orvieto.

I love Perugia, but I have heard negative things about the chocolate festival along the lines that it is so horribly crowded, it is almost impossible to get close enough to the tables and shops to sample anything. Plus the crowds make it a nightmare to get in an out of Perugia.

I suggest that you spend your nights in Umbria in Spello rather than Assisi. Do a day trip to Assisi twice if you like or include some other Umbrian town.

For Ravenna, pick a business hotel with parking rather than a quaint hotel in the middle of the oldest part of the city. Likewise, staying outside of Assisi in a smaller town will minimize confusion or getting lost.

Have a great trip.
Aug 14th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Why do you suggest staying in Spello rather than Assisi? I know it can be really crowded sometimes but there won't be a festival while we are there this time.

I hope Perugia won't be super crowded on a week day.
Aug 15th, 2006, 08:13 AM

I agree--get the car in Venice and keep it until Orvieto. You can just stop in Ravenna as you drive to Umbria rather than overnite.
Aug 15th, 2006, 08:17 AM

I too would recommend Spello over Assisi. I loved Assisi, but Spello is a small, charming town that lacks the herds of tourists that Assisi gets. This was our favorite town in Umbria.

We spent a week in Umbria in March and were very glad we had a car. There are many smaller hilltowns that cannot be accessed by train.

Good luck!
Tracy
Aug 15th, 2006, 10:02 AM

Saraho,

What tracy said, plus you can enjoy the special atmosphere of tiny Spello in the evening and the morning instead of using a day to drive there and back from someplace else. I think you'll be happy to return to Spello after a day in Assisi. It will feel more special.

I don't mean to sound too discouraging about the chocolate festival in Perugia. But I think you will need to cheerfully brace yourself for mobs and most of all remember this: If you get to the area of the chocolate fair and it is insanely crowded, remember that Perugia makes FANTASTIC chocolate all year round. Don't be afraid to wander away from from the crowds to look for chocolate shops. Find your own chocolate. It will be just as delcious.

I highly recommend the art museum in Perugia.

I do recommend staying the night in Ravenna, just to keep from stressing out about what to do with your luggage and finding another place to sleep before dark. While you are in Ravenna, try to get to the church of San Francesco and put a euro in the lightbox under the altar.

Buon viaggio!