Best Place To Stay to Visit Assisi and Perugia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking for a town to stay in to visit Perugia and Assisi for a couple of days. We would be driving from the Marche Region. How far is it from that area to Perugia?
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 02:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi cornelius,

the obvious answers are perugia and assisi!

to try to be a bit more helpful, you can work out travelling distances and times from www.viamichelin.com. they will also give you that very useful thing called a map which will show you places near assisi and perugia.

to be even more helpful, the marches and Umbria [where perugia and assisi lie] are right next door to each other [in fact my 2010 fodor's guide to italy treats them as one region] so the journey shouldn't take too long. and perugia and assisi are next-door to each other too so you could stay in one and visit the other.

hope this helps,

regards, ann
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 06:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd stay in Assisi and go to Perugia by train (20-30 mins. one way).
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 10:32 AM

They're both wonderful, but I'd be tempted to say Perugia because there is more to do at night after your daytrips.

Are you planning to see any more of Umbria than those 2 cities? If so, Perugia has better bus and rail connections and it's very easy to get from the historic centre of Perugia -- at the city's highest point -- down to either the train station (by minimetro) or down to the bus station (by escalator)

Assisi is about 7 km up the hill from the train station so it's a bit harder to get in and out.
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 12:48 PM

I'd stay in Perugia and go to Assisi!

cornelius, you really need to say more about what you want from your Umbrian holiday, and your likes and dislikes. Perugia has great food and lots of urban zazz and a youth population -- but maybe you don't want that. There are lots of agriturismos and small towns that offer great relaxation and easy access to Perugia and Assisi -- but only if you have a car. Assisi practically drowns in tourists, but it's great if you want to study the art. The neighboring town of Foligno has great frescoes, great restaurants, great train connections to both Perugia and Assisi, great hotel rates plus NO tourists -- but it also has more modern construction and less English (although you'll hardly starve or go without help, even if you don't speak Italian.)

What kind of a place would you like to be in?
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your info. We are 3 active seniors and will be coming from the Marche Region from a weeks stay at an agriturismo heading to Pienza for a wedding and have 3 days to spare to visit around Perugia and Assisi before heading to Tuscany for the wedding. We like places that serve good food, not into the arts that much but like to stay in out of the way places and maybe shop for some Deruta Pottery.
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 05:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't describe either Perugia or Assisi as "out of the way," but do you want another somewhat rural (agriturismo) location or a town/city location?