Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Room reservation deposit w/ Int'l Bank Draft?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2005, 12:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello: I am looking into reservations in Italy and have been asked to send an "international bank draft" for a nonrefundable room deposit. We traveled through Great Britain last summer, I made all arrangements over the internet, and was never asked for an int'l bank draft. Can anyone tell me if they have done this before? I assume you get these at the bank! Thanks for any feedback.

Old Aug 1st, 2005, 02:56 AM
ira

Hi L,

This is the same as going to the post office and buying a money order, except that it is in euros instead of dollars.

It won't be cheap.

Many folks have had success with offering to send a check in dollars for about 10% more than is required, with the agreement that the landlord won't cash it unless you don't show.

Another way is to send euro-denominated TCs. The fewer the better, since there is a fee for cashing each check.

Hope this helps.

Old Aug 1st, 2005, 05:51 AM

Maybe you have your personal reasons for booking a room at this hotel. Personally I'd look for a place that accepts a credit card guarantee and refunds your deposit should you need to cancel.
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 10:18 AM

I've never done that, just had checks made out in euro on a European bank account. I don't believe those were called drafts.

However, I think that may be something you can get at the US post office. They have some international money order type thing, although they aren't valid in certain countries. They are used a lot for lower-income countries, I remember (Caribbean, Latin America, etc). They aren't good in France, and you'd have to check about Italy. They don't cost too much, as I recall.

I wouldn't stay in such a place, either, but this may not be a hotel, I suspect but some small family-run rental or something?
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 11:26 AM

Yes, before the price of an international wire came down to a reasonable rate I used to send international bank drafts (and yes, that's what they're called) all the time. Still do occasionally. They cost about $5.00, which I consider cheap unless I'm only sending $25.00. Any large bank should be able to do one for you, and there are international currency companies like Ruesch International and International Currency Express that also will.
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 04:15 PM

last time I used one (about 4-5 yrs ago) it was very expensive I thought ($15 at the B of A).

In 1987 I sent one to a hotel in Germany to hold the reservation. They held it and returned it to me because it was too expensive for them to cash!
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 05:03 PM

For our July trip to Paris, I was asked by someone we were working with on touring for a payment made with a "Euro check". Had no idea at all what it was, but called my bank, and got one overnight for no cost to me at all (it had to be prepared in a different office than in my hometown) - and, it was issued at the "round lot" Euro conversion, which was 1.205 at the time. You might want to check with your bank, see if they offer those, and then try offering that to the hotel, if you really want that spot. Perhaps its a smaller, special spot, not taking credit cards??
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 12:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies. The Hotel is the Hotel Margutta. After reading several posts, it seems this Rome hotel has received mixed reviews. I think I'll hold off on the Bank Draft but thanks for helping me to understand the whole thing.