Wire Deposit for hotel?

Search

Wire Deposit for hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wire Deposit for hotel?

I've been to Europe multiple times and stayed in every kind of place frome a hostel to a castle. A current Agriturismo has asked for a CC to hold the reservation as well as a money transfer for a deposit. I'm a little uneasy about this...has anyone else done this?
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 08:15 AM

Yes, I've done every possible permutation of down payment/reservation hold, and this arrangement is not uncommon.

The CC number will not be charged---the owners ask for it as insurance, but will only consider using it if you cancel at the last minute. or skip out without paying. It costs them money to post a charge, and they don't want to use it.

Wire transfer is a common arrangement in Europe, and these days is often carried out via PayPal.

I've never had a problem with getting my deposit returned, or with inappropriate charges to a card. That said, I would make a point of getting as much info as possible about the agriturismo in advance, just as you would with any rental.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 08:19 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
the wire transfer will incur charges at both ends. You will pay your own bank - and the agriturismo will have fees to convert the currency. You may need to clarify w/ the owner if you need to wire a bit extra to cover their expenses.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 08:25 AM
ira

Hi A,

Some folks have reported success with asking the hotel if they will accept a check in dollars equivalent to the deposit + about 10E for bank fees.

When you get there, you can give them cash and they give you back the check.

This is much cheaper than a wire transfer.

Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 08:27 AM

You can do a wire transfer in euro to the AT where you absorb all costs. Don't send in your local currency. Double check whatever the bank will do, since I found they don't always have the expertise

You will need (at least I did) the SWIFT/BIC code, hotel account # (IBAN or equivalent), and address of the AT.

I prefer bank drafts because they are cheaper, but a wire is quicker and easier for the receiver
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 08:30 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Michael_Paris: Not all banks will do foreign currency transfers. And some that do, will only do it for their very best customers.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 10:24 AM

Most large banks, Chase, Bank of America, etc. will do wire transfers in Euros. I've done this a lot and have never had an issue.

1) Send an email to the hotel confirming the date and amount of the wire sent and request confirmation of receipt. (Yes, sometimes there are fees at your bank, however sometimes these are waived based upon your type of acct ($$) at the bank.)
2) Don't be alarmed if hotel doesn't receive the wire within the week - I've had the wire come through at up to two weeks!
3) Request the hotel provide you with the amount received - as others have said, their bank also takes out fees on the other end and it's best to know how much is actually received to avoid any issues when checking out.
4) Take all the bank and email confirmations to you in case of any issues at checkout.

I've never had any issues, but believe it's best to be prudent.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 10:33 AM

I think a bank draft would be cheaper than wiring, in most instances. Would this agriturismo take a bank draft in Euros?