Feedback on Ireland Plans

Old Jul 25th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feedback on Ireland Plans

Hello,

I'm in early, obsessive planning mode. Looking for feedback (improvements, red flags, sites, accommodations, etc. along the way)on the latest version of my itinerary for May 06 with SO and my mother.

Day 1: Arrive 7:40 Shannon. Breakfast, Cliffs, and drive to Roundstone.

Day 2: Connemara Loop (national park, Clifden, Kylemore) Stay Roundstone.

Day 3: Relax in Roundstone. Probably a bit of hiking/walking in area. Stay Roundstone.

Day 4: Head to Galway and see some sites. Mom's interested in St. Nicholas. What are your favorite Galway draws? Stay Galway.

Day 5: Drive to Carrick-on-Shannon to walk in great grandpa's homeland. Subject to change if we get better information on where he lived. After a day, head back to Galway for 2nd night.

Day 6: See remaining Galway sites. Drive to Dingle.

Day 7: Tour Dingle Peninsula. Stay Dingle.

day 8: Drive to Kenmare. Stop in Killarney National Park en route. Stay Kenmare.

Day 9: Beara Peninsula tour. Stay Kenmare.

Day 10: Relax in Kenmare, and/or part of ROK

Day 11: Drive to Ennis or Bunratty for final evening.

Day 12: depart Shannon 11:00 am.

Ideas will be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 05:43 PM

Looks like a wonderful itinerary. I might recommend on day 8,9, or 10, take a few hours and visit the Lighthouse on Mizen Head. I don't think you will regret the time spent out there.

On the drive from Kenmare to Bunratty or Ennis, you might want to consider driving around the Loop Head Peninsula (Kilkee & the Lighthouse) by way of the Killmer/Tarbert Ferry.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback Budman. I had forgotten about Mizen Head. Is the loop from Kenmare only a few hours? Do you think it could be combined with a Beara Peninsula day, or would that most likely be overdoing it?

Thanks for the Loop Head idea. Somehow I had completely missed this in my reading.

Old Jul 26th, 2005, 04:01 AM

If you wanted to see Mizen Head and Beara on the same day, I would recommend driving straight from Kenmare to Mizen Head which will take you about 2 hours. Tour the Lighthouse and surrounding areas (great views), then head for Crookhaven (Crookhaven Inn) for lunch and maybe a pint down the street at O'Sullivans, which is right on the water. Great views on a nice day.

From Crookhaven to Glengarriff -- head South on the Beara Peninsula. Just before Adrigole, take the Healy Pass North (R574), and head back to Kenmare. If you wanted to further explore Beara, you should have ample time as sunset in late May is about 9:30-10:00pm.

Grab a map and check out the area -- another possible lunch place that we liked was Castletownbere on Beara. A lot of nice pubs.

You can check out this site for estimate driving times in the area.

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/routes/
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for mapping out what looks like a great day for us Budman! I have been using aaroadwatch for mileage/timing, but have a hard time figuring out what to factor in for stopping and seeing versus driving.

Comments/suggestions from anyone else?
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 07:57 AM

Oopsy, I didn't reply to your post because it looks perfect to me and Budman has given you such good advice. Have a great trip.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Chatham. It's hard to know if low response number is from timing, something annoying in the message, or just not having anything to add.

Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 10:09 AM

I've made many posts in this forum and will tell you that imo it's the last comment. Your plan looks solid with plenty of downtime and sightseeing ability already built in. Day 6 will be a decent haul from Galway to Dingle - I would not plan to stay in Galway too long that day. I have always put a ton faith into both Budman's and Wojazz's comments.

Enjoy!
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 10:10 AM

oopsy,

more confirmation for you. Budman rules. And kudos to you for starting wiht such a great plan. The Healy Pass on the Beara Peninsula was one of my favorite drives.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Steeleyes and beachdweller. Yes, Budman seems to give good, detailed advice.

This is at least the 20th version of my itinerary; some revisions just took place offline or on other boards. Now to details like lodging...How do I maintain the fun of planning with 8 months to go?

Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 04:07 PM

Hey, thanks for the kind words, but in all honesty, I can't take credit for everything. I got my inspiration from a blueprint of Wojazz's 2003 trip report:

http://www.geocities.com/obeirne_ireland_2003/

Bill's report is a great read, and I just built my own itinerary around it. Hope I could be of help from my perspective of some of the things I feel are well worth a stop/visit.

Oh, you'll have a great trip. Be flexible, and sometimes, take a less traveled path.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Great report. Wojazz's presence on various boards was actually really helpful when I was planning my first Ireland trip as well. It's great to have folks willing to share experiences to help us newer travelers!

Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 06:48 PM

Wojazz is another one with good advice. We are so lucky to have these great posters.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 12:25 AM

Ditto!