Rome: Where do you stay and why?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to pick a hotel in Rome but not too familiar with the convenient neighborhoods.

Any suggestions?
Prefer someting under $200.00
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 02:52 PM

Is this for two of you?

I liked Hotel Julia. It's very convenient and the street is quiet. It might be over your budget, depending on when you are going. Of course read the reviews to see what you think: http://www.hoteljulia.it
Also consider the associated Domus Julia - http://www.domusjulia.it

It seems like the "cool" neighborhood on this forum is near Piazza Navona and Campo dei Fiori. But if you don't stay in a convent or an apartment, your budget will be hard to meet in that neighborhood. I found that where I stayed was only a short, interesting walk away in any event.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 04:09 PM

I stayed in Trastevere on one 2006 trip and loved being in that neighborhood. But then in a later 2006 trip I stayed at the Hotel Modigliani not far from the Spanish Steps and I think I will always go back there. Just a charming, quiet little place with wonderful, wonderful staff. It was about $160 for a double (small but very nicely appointed).
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 04:31 PM

Imhpo, Rome was great for an early AM Vatican and in/out with a very experienced guide.
Have no desire to return and we love big cities - would def live in BsAs or Shanghai.
M (SMdA, Gto., MX)
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 04:54 PM

sapito and StCirq:

StCirq wrote:
>>> I stayed at the Hotel Modigliani not far from the Spanish Steps and I think I will always go back there. Just a charming, quiet little place with wonderful, wonderful staff. It was about $160 for a double (small but very nicely appointed).<<<

...and we're with her 100%...stumbled onto it several years ago...you have expressed my sentiments exactly. Sent my daughter and her famile along with three other families this spring..all loved it, also.(The rates have gone up, St.C.)

http://www.hotelmodigliani.com/

Stu T.

Mikemo...wrong thread, I'd say. Unless the Modigliani is opening up a hotel in Istanbul
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 06:41 PM

Personally I always prefer the historic center - close to Campo dei Fiori and Pantheon. It's the most charming area and pretty much equidistant to everywhere. I never understand why people like the Spanish Steps - just a lot of crowds and posh shops, not real life.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 06:49 PM

We LOVED LOVED LOVED the Exedra. It was so luxurious. Gorgeous hotel. Amazingly appointed, huge rooms, with soaring ceilings. Beautiful rooftop pool. Beautiful common areas (I believe they are in Ocean's 11 or 12, can't remember which). We went in November and got a great price as well. We also thought the location was decently convenient. Service amazingly friendly. Unforgettable.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 06:01 AM

Echoing the remarks on the Exedra, but I don't think you'll find it for under $200.
Definitely worth a splurge though, if you're up for it.
For a more moderate option I always like La Residenza - quiet and elegant on a side street off the Via Veneto.
Have a great trip,
Ellen Craig
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 06:03 AM
hdm

We loved the hotel, the breakfast and the location of the Hotel San Francesco in Trastevere.