Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travel Tips for hotel/route map Pisa to Napes 5 nights/6 days

Jun 17th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Hello everyone,

We finally decided to concentrate most of our time in Italy and forgoing the Milan/Florence for our next trip.

This is our first trip to Italy/Europe so we want to make sure that we manage our time and relax and enjoy this trip.

Checking Mapquest- it's only 300 miles from Pisa to Naples so we have booked our flight into Pisa and we want to travel down the coast to Naples in 5 days.

Pls suggest route map, citie/towns to visit/things to see enroute and little gems of hotels/b&b on the way.

We want memorable, non-too touristy hotels that are rustic/charming. Nothing sleek or slick like the hotels we have in NYC. But, clean water and cleaniness is very important.

Please help with guidelines and tips.

We really appreciate it!

R&K
Jun 17th, 2007, 10:31 AM

Are you spending any time in Pisa at all or just landing there and getting a car and heading out? What is your budget per night for the hotels? Assuming you have spent a day or two in Pisa to overcome jetlag and see the city, I would head to Pienza and stay at La Saracina outside the town and explore that area for two or three days. You can see Siena, Pienza, Montepulciano, San Quercio and Montalcino. Then I would head south. Do you want to see Rome? The area between Rome and Naples isn't as popular a spot for first time visitors to Italy but there are some interesting places to see. I just don't know if you want to spend two nights there. If you want to stay on the sea, there is San Felice di Circeo and the Hotel Punta Rosa. Very nice town. Or you can stay in one of the towns of the Castelli Romani like Frascati or Castel Gandolfo. You can make a daytrip into Rome from there.
Jun 17th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Hi,

thank you for the ideas. I think we are flying from Madrid and over the jetlag at this point in the trip. We reach Pisa at 8 :10 am and get our rental car for the week.

Can we do this:
Drive straight to Milan - is it 3 hours drive? explore Milan all day and spend the night nearby in a rustic agriturismo or beautiful place that is scenic enroute to Florence. Any ideas? budget is flexible. Not $300/NIGHT but under that is fine.

Spend first day/night in Milan and then leave next morning for Florence and stay till 4 pm. Drive from Florence to Pisa and spend near Pisa to see the sights in evening.

We can spend till noon in Pisa before going down the coast.

Can us suggest where we stop/stay that night? again, something non-commercial type experience would be nice.

After that we have 3 nights to reach from Pisa to Naples.

Any ideas on where to stop and stay and see between there and Naples is great.
R
Jun 18th, 2007, 05:54 AM
ira

Hi WG,

What is it that draws you to Milan?

You are spending less than a day in Florence and staying in Pisa?

You want to take 3 days to drive to Naples from Pisa?

Are you sure about this?

With 5 nights, I would split the time between Venice and Florence.

Jun 18th, 2007, 06:03 AM

I just looked at your other post. Are you still doing the London/Paris/Amsterdam thing? Seems like you are doing the Spain leg of the trip as you say you are flying to Italy from Madrid. You say you want to relax and enjoy the trip but you are going to too many places in too few days. If you are doing all the previous legs, may I suggest you stick to ONE or, at the most, two, places in Italy to relax? Are you flying home from Naples? If so, I'd spend a week on the Amalfi Coast. Can you switch your flight from Madrid/Pisa to Madrid/Naples? It would be VERY helpful if you tell us what your itinerary is so far.