Search

Rome vs. Paris

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 02:11 PM
Leonora

Rome vs. Paris

I'm curious about how these two places compare and contrast. I've been to Paris, which I loved, and hope to go to Rome soon.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 02:18 PM
Wayne

There's really no way to provide an answer to your question. Both cities are too large, too complex, with too many features, and comparisons would be endless. The only difference I think would make sense is that Rome has more identifiable ancient ruins than Paris. Otherwise, they both have a lot of traffic, not enough parking, zillions of hotels and restaurants, cathedrals and art galleries galore. <BR><BR>Now I'm curious---is this a serious question? If so, go buy a couple of guidebooks on Italy and France, or just on Rome and Paris, and read them. The expense will be worth it.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 02:24 PM
xxx

Concur with Wayne. Your question is so vague.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 04:54 PM
Hiho

Fairly easy question, actually. Rome is much more Parisian than Paris is Roman.<BR>

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 05:00 PM
Sherry

I enjoy Paris because of its history and culture. I feel very comfortable there (almost as if I were at home in San Francisco). It's easy to get around & the people are "nice."<BR> Rome, on the other hand, is wildly stimulating - thrilling. I can't imagine any place else I'd rather be.<BR>No place like it!

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 07:46 PM
wheninrome....

Paris is heaven....<BR><BR>Rome is hell...

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 08:55 PM
My 2c

While I overall prefer Italy to France, I prefer Paris to Rome...not quite sure why. Either way both places have astounding beauty, wonderful people historic treasures galore & scrumptious food.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 06:14 AM
Colin

I've been to Paris four times, and to Rome the once.<BR><BR>Paris is a vibrant and romantic city, but for me Rome has what Paris can offer and more !<BR><BR>I was seduced by its beauty and charm !<BR><BR>Of course I was there late October so it wasn't very busy, my view of Rome may differ if I was there in August when it's very hot and bursting at the seems with people.<BR><BR>What I liked most about Rome was the it's Historic Centre was very manageable on foot. Wandering aimlessly from one piazza to another was superb!

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 07:09 AM
Paul

I've been to Rome three times and Paris twice, so I'm by no means an expert, but I feel qualified to say that each city has its unique charms. I agree with Sherry that Paris has a more civilized, cultured feel, whereas in Rome I get more of a buzz, as though a wonderful chaos were being held just in check. This is not to say that Rome does not have culture and art, which would be ridiculous, just that the city has a rougher vibrance than Paris. I could easily see myself bouncing back and forth between the two cities and having all my travelling needs satisfied. You will love Rome.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Hiho

They are both "below standard". Instead visit the enchanting Riviera where, as everyone knows, the REAL money goes.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 09:48 AM
ohoh

I love both cities. I couldn't choose one over the other. You will walk your legs off in either one, and love it the whole time.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 10:38 AM
wch

This question was posted once before on this ng and I think the answer from Jerome put it best. Here is his response:<BR><BR>Author: Jerome ([email protected])<BR>Date: 12/13/2001, 09:38 pm<BR><BR>Message: The reasons: Paris is "grandiose", a true representative of what we called in France "la grandeur", it is an imperial capital full of great and immense boulevards and impressives monuments such as l'Arc de triomphe. Yet this somewhat military structure's aspect that was given to the city in the 19th century by a Napoleon III's minister called Haussmann didn't affect its charm. this is what makes unique Paris: it combines an impressive monumental aspect together with poetry and elegance which save it from the vulgar and "fascist" exhibitionistic appearance of other "imperial" cities.<BR>Paris beauty is overwelming. It reaches your eyes instantly. Its beauty is evident...<BR>Rome is exactly the opposite, it is much more jealous of its treasures... <BR>First impact, it looks like a big village... Yes, a colorfull and charming one, but still a village. This can be disapointing initially, where is the Rome I studied at school?, capital of our western civilisation?, the capital of catholicism?, you are full of imperial expectations and there it is...a village, could almost be in Provence. <BR>And then you walk, and you walk and boy you walk, and you discover that the "village" isn't that small after all, it is actually big, very big...And while you walk and you think you are lost in a tiny little narrow street, the Trevi fountain explodes suddenly in front of you, and then it's the Pantheon, followed by the Spanish steps, Piazza Navona, Piazza del Popolo or Piazza Colonna. In every corner a fountain, a statue, an obelisque, a renaissance church that partially hides a medieval church that is built on an anciant roman temple that you can still visit coming down a few steps underground, and here is a Bernini, a Caravaggio, MichelAngelo, Borromini, it never ends!!! Here is the True imperial city, it doesn't need to "show off", it doesn't need to prove anything, it is far too rich, too old and too mature and too wise to deal anymore with "glamour". Besides, the effect of discovering a magnificient piazza coming out from a narrow dark little street is far more impressive than those large enourmous never ending parisian boulevard. <BR>Rome doesn't show you anything (it has so many things it is pointless to point them out...they are too many!) and doesn't ask you anything, Everything is there, yet Rome is like a cat, you will have to approach it, it won't come to you."

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 10:42 AM
wch

Sorry!<BR>I forgot to post the first part of Jerome's message.<BR><BR>Author: Jerome ([email protected])<BR>Date: 12/13/2001, 09:36 pm<BR><BR>Message: Hi Otto!, not only I am french from Paris but I also happened to live for several years in Rome. Well, you are talking about two of the most beautifull city in the world. They are extremely different and I think it is impossible to say one is better than the other, it really becomes a matter of each one intimate subjective opinion. Nevertheless, asking my personal opinion, I will have to admit that I prefer...Rome.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 03:13 PM
Susan

After Jerome's superbly put ode to Rome, what more can I say! He is so right on!

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 03:17 PM
Larry

In addition to what Jerome says so well, I would like to add that,for me, the most important quality of a city is its people. I'm a street photographer so I speak to many people. I find the typical response to me in Rome is welcoming, convivial, cooperative, & cherubic. I love it!<BR> I'm not saying Paris does not have pleasant people, but they tend to be more dignified, a little standoffish at times, & their responses are not as predictably wonderful as in Rome.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 03:34 PM
CS

There was also one more part to Jerome's original post. I have copied it below.<BR><BR>Author: Jerome ([email protected])<BR>Date: 12/13/2001, 09:39 pm<BR>Message: In my personal experience I found that people who visited both cities only once tend to prefer Paris, but the people who went there several times end up prefering Rome and that is because coming back to Paris is of course always a pleasure, but it rarely surprise you anymore, Rome is a continuous discovery each time, maybe because Paris is more homogeneous and Rome is extremely varied and different one area to another. Not only it is one of the oldest city on earth but no other city is so rich in architecture of literally each historical period, ancient to medieval to renaissance to modern.<BR>As for the food, I totally disagree with David, Italian food is superior to the french one. We have great chefs, and the quality of our cuisine and restaurants have always been very high, but the Italian cuisine is way way more varied and richer (that is because each region kept very well its specifities). As for the wine I do agree that when talking about great wines (the expensives one) Bordeaux are unbeatable, but when it comes to everyday wines the italians are very good and cheaper. <BR>Voilˆ! Excuse my very poor English I hope I didn't bore you too much with this long post. Anyway, as a former post said, anychoice you make keep the other city NEXT in your list!<BR><BR><BR>