Rome to Sorrento after flying

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband son and I are flying from California to Rome and then from Rome we are flying to Naples and then probably a driver to Sorrento. I just got my Visa bill with the flight my hubby booked on Alitalia and they are running us $190 a piece. Almost $600 for a round trip to Naples seems so high to me. Any other sugeestions are most welcome. The flight was his first idea since it's the fastest after a long flight. Also I feel like he rushed to book these tickets and now we are stuck or are we? Any words of wisdom would be most welcome......
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 04:15 PM

Train from Rome (TE Station) to Naples takes about 2 hours.
Then 5 days later flying Naples to Venice for under $50 each.
Try Volareweb.com [[email protected]]
if you want to fly.
pete
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 06:16 PM
ira

Hi newport,

Depends on what kind of tickets he purchased.

If he has a full-fare unrestricted ticket, you can cancel it.

If he got discounted non-cancellable tickets, it will cost you to cancel.

You can always bring this up whenever you have an arguement.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 05:50 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
We flew to Rome in March (3 or us) and planned on taking the trains to Naples and then to Sorrento. Shortly before the trip I was ill and my energy levels were just totally zapped. I was worried about the long flight and then figuring out the trains with luggage etc.

I ended up hiring a car. We were met at the airport in Rome and driven to Sorrento. I priced several companies and received two quotes of 380e and one quote of 300e. Went with the cheapest and was very pleased with the service.

It's not any cheaper than your airline tickets but it does take you to your final destination.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

thanks so much....
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 02:39 AM

Rome to Naples is 2 hours if you take a Eurostar or Intercity Train. 3 hours if you take a regular train. Make sure you get the fast train. Check the schedules on Trenitalia. If I were going I would train to Naples, spend a night or so to visit that great city, then cab to Beverello and take the 1/2 hr boat ride to Sorrento...prettiest way to arrive.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Do you remember how much it was and how long it took ? Since the tickets for 3 is about $600 + driver from Naples to Sorrento I am trying to figure out what is the most reasonable and comfortable way to get to Sorrento after a long flight.
Thanks
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 06:52 AM
ira

Hi Newport,

A car and driver from Rome to Sorrento is about 450E.

I would suggest the ES* train or Volare Air to Naples followed by a driver from Naples train station or airport to Sorrento.

Have you determined that you can cancel your airplane tickets?
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 07:08 AM

Remember that Italy is a country where bargaining is the norm, last month, in fact my friends who live there just shake their heads at how the tourists (including myself) are afraid to bargain.
When my driver from Romelimoservice picked me up at FCO and taking me to my hotel in Rome I asked him how much the trip to Positano from Rome would be and he called his office and then considered as low as 300 euro.

Contact a few companies that are mentioned here and get the lowest price from a good company. To me it is worth the price for a family with luggage to hire a car, if money isn't that big of a concern.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 07:27 AM
LJ

Maybe its only me, but surely this is a needlessly stressful way to begin a vacation? After a flight from California (10+ hours?) wouldn't it be less taxing and less expensive to stay overnight in Rome or even out near the airport, rest up and take the train to Naples and on to Sorrento the following day? The train is much less expensive than the costs you are quoting for either flight or driver/car and money does seem to be an issue. Frankly exhaustion would be a bigger problem for me with the schedule you are suggesting.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 07:45 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
We paid 300E for 3 people in a private car from Rome to Sorrento. The driver spoke English and the trip was nice. We used www.airportconnection.it

We did use the trains going back from Sorrento to Rome but I'm still glad we used the car/driver upon arrival.