Sorrento and Rome - possible in a week?

Sep 4th, 2007, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Sorrento and Rome - possible in a week?

Thanks in advance for your help! My husband will be going to Sorrento for a week for a conference and I'm trying to figure out the ideal way to join him. We live in Scotland now, so we can get to Italy quickly and don't have to take a full day for travel each way. I can only really take 5 days off work. My husband really, really wants to take me to Rome - he's been before, I've never had the chance.

My thought is:

Friday - fly to Naples and join DH in Sorrento via train/boat and relax for a day while he finishes the conference. Is it safe to do this alone? Should I make sure to get to Naples during the day?

Saturday/Sunday - spend time relaxing in Sorrento with DH

Monday - train/boat to Naples and then train to Rome (2 hours or so?). I saw all these posts that said train travel in Italy is quite difficult and takes a long time - should we consider renting a car for the day just for the drive? Take a bus?

Mon/Tues/Wed/Thurs - Rome!

Friday - train to Naples and then home

Does anyone know how far the train station is from the airport in Naples? Are we spending too much time in Sorrento? Not enough?

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!
Sep 4th, 2007, 07:54 AM

As for the train difficulty question - nothing could be further from the truth IMO

i day tripped Rome-Naples-Rome in Jan and it was a snap nice modern trains, no difficulty buying tickets - two trains an hour or so.

And the new high-speed Velaro (sp?) trains just put on are amongst the fastest and most spiffy in all of Europe - the train is pain stuff is out dated by several years. Indeed driving out of Naples and into Rome would to me be much more difficult.

Take the train.
Sep 4th, 2007, 08:16 AM

Hi PP - The quickest way from Naples to Sorrento is usually bus - if your flight arrival time coincides.

The Curreri Airport Shuttle (€ 6.00) direct to Sorrento takes about 1 hour.

Deps at: 09.00 - 11.30 - 13.00 - 14.30 - 16.30 - 19.30

http://www.curreriviaggi.it/

There is a direct Sorrento-Rome bus service (- operator: Marozzi) - which may be a convenient alternative option for you.

Fare: € 18. Journey time: 3.5 hrs approx.

For details go to:
http://www.marozzivt.it/

Do you need to return to Naples for your return flight?

Hope this helps...

Steve
Sep 4th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

I've been playing around with the fares and it's far cheaper to fly round trip out of Naples, particularly as DH's work will pay for that trip but not necessarily for a flight back from Rome.

Thanks for the options!

So it sounds like it would work to go to Rome then? My husband will be so excited!
Sep 4th, 2007, 08:59 AM

Your itinerary is fine, you can easily do Sorrento & Rome in a week. Train travel is easy, avoid renting a car.

You should feel comfortable traveling alone from the airport to the hotel in Sorrento. Be sure to pack light, only take what you can comfortably carry. Ask your hotel to price the cost of car service from the airport, it may be worth it to have door to door service.

Any chance your husband's company will allow him to pay the difference in the cost of flying out of Rome? The company will not foot the bill for a higher ticket but maybe a comprise can be reached. If the company will allow this fly out of Rome.