Rome to Naples?

May 3rd, 2012, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Rome to Naples?

Hi... I am new to Fodors and was hoping you could help! My husband and I are traveling to the Amalfi Coast in August. We fly into Rome on the 11th..4 pm and need to make our way down to Naples........Our trip actually starts in Naples on a beautiful Sailing Yacht on the 16th in Naples...so we have that time to get down to Naples. My husband wants to go right away down to the Amalfi coast since we have never been there..we have been around Italy. We have heard of the speed train down to Naples..is there one? Whats best transportation to Naples? Also our friends tell us to go to the hotel Le Sirenuse, but that hotel looks a bit pricey and we don't have to spend that much money to experience the beauty of the Amalfi Coast. We could also go to other cities. Ravello?Paestum?..We will board the shipping vessel in Naples but we don't have to stay there..we could also rent a car??My thought was to spend the night in Rome and then the next day get on the speed train and go to one of the cities in Amalfi and go to one of these great hotels rent a car and explore? What do you think?
May 3rd, 2012, 09:35 AM

If you do the train there is no way to avoid going to Rome Termini from there you can get the express train to Naples.
There is also a bus from FCO (Romes main airport) to Naples and Sorrento.
You can also hire a car and driver or rent a card and drive
Those are the basic choices. I am sure others will chime in with prices etc.
May 3rd, 2012, 10:19 AM

To JoanneH- Are you sure there is a bus from FCO to Naples? I've been looking and I can't find one.
May 3rd, 2012, 12:46 PM
GAC

Here are your options:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic..._Campania.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic..._Campania.html

The BUS departs from Roma TIBURTINA BUS DEPOT to SORRENTO, bypassing Naples. There is very frequent airport train service between FCO Airport and TIBURTINA TRAIN STATION (8 Euros, 45 minutes), which is 300 meters from the bus depot.

www.marozzivt.it
www.curreriviaggi.it

NOTE: Your very late arrival into FCO will drastically limit your public transportation options to the Amalfi Coast. You'll likely end up taking the Frecciarossa train to either Naples OR to Salerno, then proceed by local transport (or private transfer by car) to your final destination.

BTW, what is your final destination: Postiano, Praiano, Amalfi, Sorrento, or elsewhere?
May 3rd, 2012, 02:24 PM

Last time I looked at Curreri website (last week), they were not running this bus.
May 3rd, 2012, 03:35 PM

There are tons of more affordable hotels in Positano. We really like the Hotel Poseidon, which is just uphill from Le Sirenuse. But there's also Hotel Maricanto, Covo dei Sarceni, Bucca di Bacco, and many more. If these are still too pricey, you could easily stay in Sorrento and do day trips to the Amalfi Coast from there.
May 3rd, 2012, 03:49 PM

The BUS departs from Roma TIBURTINA BUS DEPOT to SORRENTO, bypassing Naples. There is very frequent airport train service between FCO Airport and TIBURTINA TRAIN STATION (8 Euros, 45 minutes), which is 300 meters from the bus depot.

this is what I was thinking re bus sorry I mistated it.
May 3rd, 2012, 04:40 PM

www.lefrecce.it

I would take the fast train from Rome to Naples, we did both ways in 2010, we will next Summer, fast and convenient.

I would have to have a gun pointed to my head to ride a bus in Italy, but that's my opinion.
May 3rd, 2012, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone..you guys are great...after talking to my husband he agreed he does not want to take the train he is impatient and tall. He will take that speed train!!
I am keeping all of the links you provided GAC! and the hotels are perfect Weadles...I will check them out but I would also like to hear from more...same type of hotels in different cities maybe..We don't have to stay in Positano we could go to another city close to Naples.Remember we board the boat on the 16th in the morning(Naples) so we could go anywhere in Amalfi, not to far!
May 3rd, 2012, 05:35 PM

"We don't have to stay in Positano we could go to another city close to Naples.Remember we board the boat on the 16th in the morning(Naples) so we could go anywhere in Amalfi, not to far!"

If you are open to Sorrento I highly recommend Hotel Minerva or if booked La Minervita. My kids and I stayed in Hotel Minerva and it was great! Views, Breakfast and meals to die for. If we had the noney we would go back.

We got the swine flu on our way from Positano and for 4 days in bed sick as dogs the Manager send us food every day.

http://www.minervasorrento.com/

My husband is 6'1 and loved the fast trains in Italy.
May 3rd, 2012, 08:48 PM

>>>If you do the train there is no way to avoid going to Rome Termini from there you can get the express train to Naples.<<<

Actually, there are some express trains from Rome's Tiburtina station also. Trenitalia has several per day (AV trains) and the new train company Italo is supposed to have service from Tiburtina to Naples by June.
http://www.italotreno.it/en/Pages/default.aspx
May 3rd, 2012, 09:44 PM
Original Poster

Pookymimi I am so sorry you got so sick. On a trip to Australia my husband and I got the flu so bad we could hardly walk...I know what you are talking about!!!I will check out that Hotel and was also told to check out hotel Santa Caterina in Amalfi... and you have reminded me to take a travel pack of meds!!
May 4th, 2012, 03:00 AM

The Italotreno service on the route between Rome and Naples is already running, but at present only twice each day - at 11:57 and 20:57 southwards, and at 07:00 and 16:00 in the other direction!

The number looks to be doubling from May 11th onwards:

Napoli Centrale to Roma Tiburtina:
07:00, 14:00, 16:00, 18:30

Roma Tiburtina to Napoli Centrale:
09:53, 11:57, 13:57, 20:57

Peter
May 4th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Peter, Yes just went on that site and saw that they do have service but of course don't have a timetable set up for August. Thank you
May 4th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

I have been checking sites out and hotels and came across this place but cannot figure out what hotel or villa it is???
It is either from a designers magazine...I wish I could "Shazam" it if you guys know what I mean.
http://www.theaestate.com/2012/03/wa...lfi-coast.html
May 7th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

I found it!!
(http://www.grottadeifichi.com) and Ville Tre Ville

Villas but for a group!