rome or the amalfi coast first??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be spending our honeymoon at these two destinations in September and as wondering what part we should do first. We will be flying in and out of Rome and plan on spending 5 nights at the coast and 5 in Rome with 1 day to spare. Any thoughts would be helpful,,, favorite hotels too!!!

Thanks
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 07:11 PM
ddd

After your wedding you may really enjoy the more relaxed environment of the Amalfi Coast for a few days to unwind...it is very beautiful and romantic.

The Sirenuse in Positano was the top hotel I saw when I was there...but expensive. We stayed at Hotel Poseidon which was less luxe but nice with great views from every room and a small pool for relaxing outside.

Congratulations and have a great time in Italy
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 07:15 PM

Fairsat- I would do Rome first,its an exciting intense city, it would be too much for me to go from the euphoric vibe of the Amalfi coast to Rome.
I suggest the hotel Mamela, in Capri; if you are planning on spend time there, don't just go for a day trip, the magic of Capri is at night.
Many congrats
Fluffy
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 07:20 PM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
fairset

Last summer, we did 4 nites Amalfi coast, 4 nites Todi & environs & 3 nites Rome.

If we were doing it again, I would put Rome in the middle. You could use a bit of R & R after the bustle of Rome.

But I still agree, if you only do 2 centers, do Amalfi first.

Ian
Old May 1st, 2003, 06:17 AM

I think the choice of which area to stay in first depends on you...do you want to go from all the wedding activities, stress, etc. to a drastic change of quiet, relaxation and togetherness or would you want to transition more slowly and enjoy the wonderful frenzy and action of Rome first and then go for the quiet and serenity of the Amalfi coast. It is quite a trek to fly into Rome and then head directly to the Amalfi Coast, but I've done it. We flew in early in the morning, took a cab to the main train station, got on the train to Naples, then took another train to Sorrento, then a bus to Positano!!! By the time we got to Villa Franca in Positano, I was absolutely delirious and exhausted, all I could think about was sleeping. But since it's your honeymoon you could hire a car and have them take you directly to Positano...expensive but it's your honeymoon. The other option is train to Naples and have car pick you up there.

I am one of those that finds Rome enormously romantic if you stay at the right hotel and try to not overschedule too much. To others, it's overwhelming. Hotels that I would consider for a honeymoon would be De Russie or a nice room at De la Ville/with terrace or Raphael but there are so many more wonderful hotels, but the better rooms are expensive.

When looking at hotels in Positano, having a view is the most important thing, in my opinion. It's better to stay in the best room at a 3 star hotel than the cheapest at a 5 star...Our room at Villa Franca had a small terrace directly in front of the sea, capuccino in the morning sitting on the terrace was magical. Our room wasn't huge or overly luxurious but very pretty and comfortable and the hotel felt very personal and charming. I liked the informality of this hotel vs. San Pietro or Sireneuse.
Old May 1st, 2003, 06:42 AM

We spent our September honeymoon in Positano many years ago, and went back for our silver anniversary: we were delighted to see that the area had changed very little.

Maggy states the options well, a lot depends on how energetic a traveler you want to be right after the craziness of wedding preparation and a (presumably) long flight.

For silver anniversary, we stayed at the Albergo Miramare and LOVED it. Not flash or fancy, but comfortable, and oh, that priceless view from our terrace! I'd go there again in a heartbeat.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 12:31 AM

I would recommend you see Rome first, as the trip to the Amalfi coast from the Rome airport could be a long day.
I assume you are arriving from the US on one of the overnight flights. About 7 flights from the US arrive at the same time. On a good day with no lines at immigration and no undue wait for your baggage you will be out of the airport by about 9 am, on a bad day it could be later.

If you have a car and driver (the eastiest but most expensive) you are looking at about a 4 hour ride to Positano. If you decide to drive yourself, the time needed to find the rental location, get the car and figure out how to get onto the highway will add some time. If you take the train, you are looking at about 5-6 hours, and lugging your baggage with you from the airport to the train station in Rome (either by train or by taxi), and then lugging it to your taxi to get to the hotel.

This on top flying all night. I would go right to your hotel in Rome (ask for early check-in) take a shower, relax, then go out for a late lunch and start exploring the city. I think you will be so charged up from your wedding and being in Italy that you actually woulnd't want to lay by a pool on the Amalif coast for the first few days.

Favourite hotels in Rome is the Hotel del Russie. The Westin near the Borghese Gardens is also very nice. Favourite hotel in the Amalfi coast is the Santa Caterina, such a breathtaking location hugging the cliffs over the Med and full of bougainvillea and orange groves. I personally like being outside of the villages, and it is any easy walk downhill to Amalfi (the hotel also has a shuttle to the village). Their website is hotelsantacaterina.it, or go through Leading Hotels of the World website at lhw.com. It seems to be politically incorrect to say this on this site, but I would not stay in Positano. Besides being very vertical (steep) with no parking, I think Positano is beautiful to look at from the sea, but the views out across the water as not as interesting to me as they are from other places, like the Santa Caterina. The hotel is very private and quiet, which I am not sure is the case of any of the hotels in Positano. The Palazzo Sasso in Ravello would be a close second. I like to be near the water, which is not possible in Ravello, although the views are really stunning. Run a search on this site, as the Amalfi coast is extremely popular here -- which you will see for yourself when you get there, as 90% of the tourists are Americans.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Cicerone, I agree about staying in Rome my first night. Do you happen to have any other suggestions on hotels in Rome? I would love to be able to stay at the westin or Del Russie but they are out of my price ranges. I am looking for very similar though.

Also would it be wrong to stay in a side sea view at Santa Caterina? The next price point they have is over a $ 400 difference per night, ouch!!!

Any thoughts on Capri? Also what is the best way for us to see Pompeii? After the coast we will be heading back up to Rome for 5 nights or can anyone suggest a differnet itninerary. WE have 11 nights in total...
Old May 2nd, 2003, 05:31 AM

You should probably post a new question here giving your budget range for Rome. I have seen previous posts here about good hotels at good prices, but can't recall specifics, other than the D'Inghil Terra at the Spanish Steps which seems to get good reviews here. I also recall reading a thread on a nice hotel in the Piazza Navonna area.

You could click on "Hotels" above, scroll down to "Rome" and hit enter, and a list of hotels recommended by Fodorites will come up. You can then have the search narrowed by price ranges. (Use "customize results".) Some of the reviews may be old, so I would use this as a starting point and then ask people here for specific comments.

There is a very nice Marriott up the street from the Westin which may be a bit cheaper than the Westin. Also, if you have Marriott or Sheraton/Starwood points you can use them at the Marriott or the Westin, respectively.

With regard to the Santa Caterina, I think a side view room is fine. The sea views are so great for all the public areas that I wouldn't think you would really miss not having a full sea view from the room. Also, the service, food, facilities and convenience of being right on the Mediterranean are part of what you are paying for, so the view doesn't matter from that standpoint. Please note, however that there is a review on the above "Hotels" review in which the reviewer was unhappy because her rooms was close to the road and was therefore noisy. I think you should contact the hotel and ask them to describe where the side view rooms are (or better fax you a map showing where the side view rooms are). If they appear to be on the upper level of the main building and back onto the road, they might be a little noisy.

I was actually recommending that you stay in Rome for the first 5 nights and then go to the coast. I think spending only one night in Rome is not really worth the time, effort and cost. I would do Rome first, then the coast, then stop at Pompeii on the afternoon of your return to Rome and either drive or take the train to Rome. Assuming you have an early morning flight from Rome airport, there is a Hilton right at the airport that is very convenient. Some people may suggest staying in Rome your last night rather than at the airport, that is possible too, but you have to leave fairly early to make it to the airport the required 2 hours before your flight.

Capri is doable as a day trip from Naples by public ferry. You could also hire a boat to take you there and back from the Santa Caterina. See my response to this on a thread today called "Rome/Amalfi Coast Transportation".
Old May 2nd, 2003, 01:10 PM

Fairsat,

Another vote for going to the Amalfi Coast first. Although it makes for a long day of travel, esp. after the flight into Rome, you'll be able to really unwind when you get there. Rome is a very intense city, and I think it would be better to get some rest first so you can enjoy it, and not feel hassled and overwhelmed.
As for towns and hotels, it really depends what you're looking for. We really loved our stay at the Poseidon in Positano two years ago. We were lucky enough to have a jr. suite with a huge terrace overlooking town. The hotel was small enough to make us feel like family members, and not so ritzy that we felt out of place, which can be a problem at places like San Pietro and Santa Caterina. Too, we enjoyed the easy accessiblity to a town full of restaurants, shops, and small beach. If you go, try to eat dinner at Il Ritrovo in Monterpertuso, a small mountain village about 15 minutes from Positano. The restaurant usually sends a driver to take you back and forth. It was an amazing culinary experience, and quite reasonable.
Just wondered whether you've looked at Del Senato or Casa Howard in Rome, both of which have received raves on this forum. I also wanted to mention that while some people swear by the quiet and civility of the Via Veneto area, it is a hike from ancient Rome, and taxis at night can be expensive and unavailable. We found this out the hard way after a stay at the Hotel Eden.
Good luck with your plans and congratulations!
Old May 2nd, 2003, 01:21 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Suck it up and get down to the Amalfi first for some well-deserved r&r after the wedding. You will be energized enough to get down there, and then you can unwind for those five days of beautiful views. Romance and the Amalfi are synonymous. Then after you are an old married couple of nearly a week, you can get drive back to Rome, and after bickering about what museums, restaurants and churches to see, you'll feel like you've been married for 25 years. Just kidding, but do the Amalfi first (in my twice married - at least through this afternoon - opinion).