Italy Help! Rome & Amalfi Coast

Old Jan 11th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy Help! Rome & Amalfi Coast

My husband and I will be traveling to Italy in May and are having problems with our itinerary. As of right now we would like to go to Rome, Venice and the Amalfi cost. We have 9 days ( 2 travel days are not included). We would like to spend 2 days in Rome, 2 in Venice and the rest in Amalfi (we will be driving from Rome). My questions are how many days should we spend in Alamafi and where. We are looking at Sorrento, Positano & Ravello. Does anyone suggest anything otherwise? Also, do you think we should not go to Venice and just go to Rome & Amalfi to save time? Also any suggestions on how to plan the trip where to start and where to finish? Thanks for all of your help I am so overwhelmed!!!

Old Jan 11th, 2007, 08:11 AM
ira

Hi N,

As much as I love Venice, I think that with only 9 days you should see Rome and the AC.

Are you plannng on staying in the town of Amalfi or in one of the other towns along the AC?

I would fly into Rome, take the train to Salerno, the ferry to Amalfi and then the SITA bus to Praiano, where I would stay at www.lesirene.com.

To return home, I would hire a limo to take me to the Naples airport and fly home from there.

See www.kayak.com for open-jaw flights.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jan 11th, 2007, 08:13 AM

Hi Nicole,

Honestly, with 9 days I would choose 2 of the above! Otherwise you are spending too much time on trains and not enough time where you want to BE!

Buon viaggio!
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 08:29 AM

Don't miss Capri while you are in the area !! That would be a big mistake !!
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 08:30 AM

My vote is Positano, because it's a beautiful and walkable town, and you take a bus to the other 2. Sorrento is large and crowded, Ravello makes a good 1/2 day trip.
We stayed at a Best Western only because a friend praised it and the price was righ, and it was wonderful, with a terrance with 2 lounge chairs with a view I still dream of.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info! Okay I will stick to my original plan of just visitng Rome and the Amalfi. So maybe 3 days in Rome and the rest in the Amalfi coast I was originally thinking of staying in Positano, Sorrento & Ravello. So you suggest spending all of my time in Amalfi in Praino? Also we were going to rent a car and drive from Rome to Amalfi so we could really take in all the sites.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 08:49 AM

I would not miss Venice unless you are planning a return trip to Italy. I also would suggest leaving Sorrento off your list and staying in either Ravello or Positano and taking the bus or, if you have the car, driving to see the others. We took the train from Rome to the Amalfi Coast. We stayed 2 nights in Ravello and 3 in Praiano and took the bus to Positano and Amalfi for day visits. We stayed in Venice for 4 nights and could have stayed longer. Our style is to get to really know a “town”. My recommendation is Rome, Amalfi Coast, then Venice then back to Rome to fly out if that is where you are flying out of.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 08:55 AM

Hi,

I went to Italy on my honeymoon last year. I'd recommend two cities for 9 days because travelling as well as packing can really take up many extra hours. Choosing three stops could shorten three days. I'd personally pick Rome and Almafi.

Last year, I stayed at the Hassler atop the spanish steps (5star), got the smallest room, but they kindly upgraded us to a SUITE at nearly double the cost (for free) since they knew it was our honeymoon. In Almafi, I would definitely stay in Positano as a central location. I would take one day trip to Capri. i bought the cutest shoes there. Sorrento is lovely & Ravello is spectacular. You should visit the Palazzo Sasso hotel. They are also building a new hotel right next store. Its magnificent. If you want restaurant recommendations in Rome, email me at [email protected]

All the best,
Natalie
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

I want to thank EVERYONE for their help. My husband and I have booked our trip we are Flying into Rome staying for 4 days at The Cosmopolita and then driving to Amalfi (we have an english speaking driver) staying at the Poseidan for 6 days and then flying out of Naples.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 12:43 PM

Having just spent 5 days in Positano and 3 1/2 days in Rome (WAY too short), I have wonderful restaurant recommendations if you're interested in both places, as well as a VERY special place in Ravello - close to Amalfi and one of the most beautiful villages we've seen.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 05:59 PM

Aleta, can you tell me more about the Best Western in Positano? Where is it in relation to other things in town? Are there restaurants nearby? How many stairs are involved going anywhere from the hotel? Is it a hotel that a taxi can drive right up to (I'm thinking when you arrive with luggage)? I'd appreciate any info. Thanks!
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 06:05 PM

The Best Western in Positano is located in the upper reaches of Positano, a very LONG walk down to the harbor, shops, ferries to Amalfi/Capri/Sorrento, unless you're in fabulous shape and love hiking. No problem reaching it in a taxi and there's a shuttle which apparently goes fairly frequently between the hotel and the tiny "main square" located lower down in the village. There are veery good restaurants located below the hotel and definitely above it (reachable by shuttle, bus or taxi) in the tiny town of Montepertuso.

Cousins of mine stayed there last year and liked it a lot (for price and view) but my husband and I stayed at the Villa Rosa closer to the "center" which I preferred because I only had to depend on my own 2 feet and energy level.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 08:29 AM
ira

Hi N,

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jan 12th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Ready2 travel I would LOVE restuarant reccomendations and any other tips you may have thanks!!
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 02:37 PM

ready2travel, thanks, just the kind of information I wanted.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 06:17 PM

Ready2Travel,
I'd love the Ravello recommendation for lodging. How did you reach it - from Sorrento side or Salerno?
I'm not sure how to get there from Salerno but it seems more direct coming from Naples.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 08:36 AM

Replying to the 2 previous posters:

Sorry, Patiboo, but we did not stay at a hotel in Ravello - we spent the day (and ate a wonderful lunch) there and reached the town by taking the bus from the main square near the docking area in Amalfi.

We had some of the best meals of our trip at the following places:

Cafe Positano, casual dining in Positano

La Tagliata in Montepertuso - endless supply of antipasti, pasta, roasted meats, desserts and espresso suggested by our waiter - the meal was enough for 6 people, never mind just the 2 of us

Max's in Positano - a combination art gallery/restaurant with complimentary champagne. Try the stuffed zucchini flowers (I actually took a photo of them since they were beautiful as well as delicious)

Tre Sorelle in Positano - casual outdoor lunch overlooking the harbor

Hotel Cimbrone terrace restaurant in Ravello - our splurge and worth every penny because of the spectacular views from the terrace (wait to be seated at one of the 2 tables overlooking the water) and the wonderful service - the tomatoes and mozzarella were particularly tasty as were the fruit kabobs for dessert

Dona Rosa in Montepertuso - the best meal, not only on the Amalfi Coast but including Rome - buffalo mozzarella, rucola & cherry tomato salad, ravioli stuffed with eggplant & parmesan cheese, lemon spongecake w/ limoncello & topped with lemon mousse. Can you tell that my mouth is watering as I'm writing all of this. Wonderful, welcoming, gracious service - our last meal in the Positano area and I hated to leave!!

By the way, with the exception of Dona Rosa for some unexplained reason, all the other restaurants in Montepertuso (including da Costantino which I forgot to mention) are reachable by shuttle van from your hotel in Positano.

Buon appetito !!