Reload this Page >

Honeymoon - Rome, Amalfi Coast or Capri

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 03:39 PM
Brad

Hello:<BR><BR>Going on a honeymoon next year at the end of May. Planning to fly into Rome for 3 nights and then drive down to the Amalfi Coast for ___ nights and then Capri for ____ nights before we leave via Naples airport. <BR><BR>Question 1: Knowing Rome is going to be a lot of walking around, how many nights should I stay in the Amalfi Coast for as opposed to Capri? I have about a week for both. Should I stay somewhere else - i.e. Positano, Sorrento, Pompei? I basically want to relax and enjoy the sights and restaurants and sit by the sea?<BR><BR>Question #2: Should I rent a car to get from Rome to the Almalfi Coast or is that a waste. Is there an easy, cheap way to get from Rome to the Amalfi Coast and then the Almalfi Coast back to Capri and from Capri to Naples airport? Will I be doing much driving or any driving during the week? <BR><BR>Question 3: Where do you leave a car if you are going to Capri?<BR><BR>Question 4: Any suggestions on where to stay. Looking for comfortable, a cool place to hang out, with nice restaurants near by.<BR><BR>Quesiton 5: Any restaurant suggestions would be great.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 05:32 PM
Pat Klontz

Your post is already way down on the list without any answers, so I will comment on a couple of your questions, bring it to the top, and hope maybe someone can answer other questions.<BR><BR>?1. We stayed in Sorrento three nights and could easily have enjoyed more. Visited Positano and Ravello and kind of wish we had stayed there instead, but we had a car there and rode the train back, so Sorrento was easiest city from which to head back to Rome.<BR>Don't miss Pompeii, and with as much time as you have, you might also go to Herculaneum. <BR><BR>?2. Unless you are experienced with driving in Europe, I am not sure I would put myself through driving to and around the Amalfi Coast. Roads are unbelievable as are the drivers. The scenery is the most wonderful I have ever seen, and you should find a way to enjoy it instead of watching out for your car and your life. Getting from Rome to Naples and on to Sorrento is very easy. We were lucky to have friends who were living in Italy who drove us from Naples to Paestum, through Ravello and Positano and then left us in Sorrento. Taking the train back was easy. If you do decide to get a car, consider going to Paestum for a half day. <BR><BR>You have chosen an incredible place for a honeymoon. There are lots of posts you could search to get info for trains, etc. PJK

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 05:39 PM
kam

Most of the hotels in Positano will send a car for you to the Naples train station. Taxis are abundant on the Amalfi Coast and there is also a bus. I would spend the most time in Positano with a day trip to Pompeii and many two days on Capri, a place I find a bit boring.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 05:49 PM
Mary

Stay in Positano. Amalfi, Ravello, Positano, Capri are all beautiful, but I think Positano is the better choice. We stayed in Ravello and couple of years ago. Of course I loved it, and it had a great view. It was very quiet and not as much to do at night. Going up and down the roads are bad enough during the day. Stay at the Amalfi coast for at least 5 days. I did not go to Sorrento though.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 06:53 PM
Jon

Brad, <BR>I just did a nearly identical trip for my honeymoon in 2001. We flew into Rome, drove to Positano, stayed 4 nights, drove back to Rome, 5 nights, flew back to US via FCO.<BR>My best advice is to have a car on the Amalfi Coast as you will want to have freedom to tour coastal towns at your convenience. Lots of people here will say public transportation is fine, but we were hugely thankful to be able to come & go at will w/out having to deal w/ busses & taxis. Also, being domiciled at Le Sirenuse for Amalfi Coast touring was a great choice for us; both for location and for services. <BR>We did not see Capri as planned (we just ran out of time), but I'm sure the Sirenuse staff will make arrangements to tend to your car as needed. <BR>If you have 2 weeks total I would divide time equally between the Coast and Rome...I think Rome is too often cut short on multi-stop tours (it's my favorite city in the world), especially if it's you first time there. There is so much to see and so much culture to take in in Rome. There are also several daytrips available from Rome (eg-Orvieto).<BR>For accomodations near cool places to hang out I would recommend Le Sirenuse in Positano and Hotel Raphael in Rome. They are both great hotels in great locations. <BR>E-mail for other specifics.<BR>Have a great trip. Congratulations,<BR>j.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Tanya

Rome is great. Try and spend more time there. The Amalfi Coast was great as well. I would only stay in Capri for two or three days. Maybe check out Positano instead. Lots of people say it is great.