Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need help planning itinerary from Rome to Amalfi Coast

Old Mar 11th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! My husband and I are going to Italy in May for 9 days. We’re looking to have a good time and relax, take in the beauty and sites, and also appreciate the luxuries in life such as nice hotels and good food!

All we have done so far is book our flights to Rome. We plan on spending the first 2 days in Rome sight-seeing there. Then we have 6 days that we wanted to spend on the Amalfi Coast before heading back to Rome for 1 night to catch our return flight to the US. Can you help me figure out what places to go to and how long to stay? These are the places I was thinking about visiting:

Naples - is a few hours good for Naples - like grab pizza for lunch and maybe the museum everyone is talking about?
Capri - we were originally thinking a day trip but after reading other posts, do you think we should spend 1 or 2 nights?
Sorrento/Positano - I want to visit both places, but which should we stay at? I thought we should pick one since we don't have many nights to begin with, but do u think we should spend 2 nights in each place?
Ravello - is this a day trip or part of the drive along the coast? How do you visit Ravello?
Pompeii - can this be a day trip on the way back to Rome? Or should it be a day trip while we're staying either in Sorrento or Positano?
Paestum - I never knew of this place before reading other posts so wasn't planning on visiting - but do you think we should?

Also, do you have suggestions on a route from Rome to the Amalfi coast and then back to Rome?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 02:15 PM

If you havent been to Rome before I would break it up...

Rome 5
Amalfi 4

On the Amalfi side I think Positano is beautiful.
On the Sorrento side there is a little village called Nerano that is absolutely charming.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

ya, i've never been to rome before, but my husband has.
so you think we should spend nights in both positano and sorrento?
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 02:49 PM

No, I would pick either Sorrento or Amalfi area and do daytrips.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

if i want to do day trips to Ravello, Pompeii and Paestum, is it better to stay in Positano or Sorrento?
Also, what about Capri...should we make a day trip to Capri or spend a night or two there?
And Naples - is a few hours good for Naples? Would I take the train from Rome to Naples? and then how would I get to my next place/what should my next place be?
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 03:50 PM

I am probably in the minority, but I'll tell you what we did and how it worked out. Before seeing Rome, we took the train from Rome to Naples and then took the hydroplane over to Capri. We spent 2 nights there and it was very beautiful and nice to be there at night after the tourists leave. There is plenty to see and do, but you can also just relax. Then we took the hydroplane to Sorrento and were picked up by a driver who showed us around Sorrento, and then took us on a tour of the Amalfi coast. We stayed in Ravello for two nights because we wanted to hear a concert at Villa Rufulo and tour Villa Cimbrone. This was nice, but Ravello really only needs a day trip - in fact a half day to see Villa Cimbrone (amazing views) and have lunch is sufficient. Buses run up from the towns on the coast. Then we had the driver take us to Pompeii on the way back to Naples to catch the train back to Rome for 3 nights before we left.

It was all lovely, but if I had the time you have, I would do it differently. An option is for you to spend the two nights in Rome and then take the train to Naples and travel over to Capri for 2 nights. Then come back on the hydroplane to a base in Sorrento for the next 4 nights. From Sorrento you can visit all the Amalfi towns and Pompeii, and also journey to Naples by hydroplane or train to see the museum. But bear in mind, that is a lot of traveling around, and you say you want to relax. You probably won't be able to fit in everything on your list. So it might be best to prioritze and plan to go back!

On the other hand, if you like cities, and if your husband likes Rome, more time in Rome may be a good idea. If you decide to spend another night or two in Rome, it would still work to stay in Sorrento and use it as a base for your side trips - with still more prioritizing.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

wow that was really helpful! thanks axelrod & jetset!
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 06:48 PM

I too agree with Alexrod,

Once I did Amalfi then Rome, flying out of Rome. I wish would have done it in reverse. I would have liked to done the relaxing part last.
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 04:07 AM
ira

Hi dt,

Not being a fan of Rome, I think that you have a nice plan.

Consider this:
Train to Naples - 2 nights Visit Pompeii, archaeological museum, Capella Sansevero

Train to Salerno, take the ferry to Amalfi - 4 nights
Visit Paestum, visit Ravello, take the ferry to Sorrento and the SITA bus back (You can stop at Positano in either direction), daytrip to Positano or Capri (optional)..

Take the ferry to Salerno and the train to Rome.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Mar 16th, 2009, 04:10 AM

Hi there,

May be coming in a bit late here, but will add my bit nevertheless!!

Rome is fantastic! You could get a good feel for it and do a lot, in 3 days - I'd also do that part first and then head down to the Amalfi Coast.

Rome is a city I think best experienced on foot - around every corner you come upon another piece of history - and to walk those cobbled streets and absorb the life is a marvellous way to enjoy it....little side-walk cafe's, osteria's, gorgeous shops - and if you're more-or-less centrally located, the main tourist sights are in relatively close proximity. The hotels provide an easy-to-follow map.

Alternatively, there's a 'hop-on-hop-off' bus tour that takes you around the city and you can get off at the sights you particularly want to see, then hop back on and continue along the route. The tour starts and finishes at the Termini train station. If you stayed somewhere near a Metro stop, you could easily get there and back to your hotel afterwards.

I use a pension called Hotel Panda which is just down the road from the Spanish Steps and a Metro stop. Rooms are small but really nicely appointed and clean. A double is about Euro 80 per night (breakfast not included, but there are plenty cafes either in the street or nearby where you can breakfast with the locals and watch the city come to life). This Metro stop is 3 away from Termini.

From Termini station you have a choice of trains you can take down to Naples. The Eurostar or AltoVeloce are the fastest, taking +/- 1hr 30 mins - they're also more expensive. 2nd class is fine. Or the Intercity, which takes about 2 hours, is cheaper. Check out www.trenitalia.com for train timetables.

From the station in Naples you have a couple of options to get to wherever you're staying: either take the local train, called the Circumvesuviana, to Sorrento (about an hour). If you're going on to Positano, take the SITA bus, which you'll find outside the station, to Positano (about 45 minutes). (Naples is a preferable option to Salerno if you choose to stay in either Sorrento or Positano - Salerno is way past either of them.)

Or you could make your way down to the port and take a ferry to either Sorrento or Positano - a kind of 'mini cruise' along the coast! If you come into Positano this way, you'd need to organise a porter to get your bags to your accommodation (euro 5 - 10 per piece of luggage!).

The third option is to book a private transfer from the station directly to your accommodation. This is by far the most comfortable, most hassle-free way to get here! Though of course, it's also the priciest! Avoid the taxi's - they're a rip-off. The going price for 2 people is +/ euro 100. I use a reputable company for family and friends coming to visit - their prices are also a bit more competitive.

Both Sorrento and Positano are well situated to get to and enjoy the other towns in the area. Sorrento is a much bigger town though and therefore much busier, but it has more of a nightlife, if that's important to you. Positano, on the other hand, is more charming in that it is still very much like it's always been and it has an undescribable magic that just has to be experienced.

If you really want to relax, stay in one place and avoid having to lug your stuff from one place to another.

Someone mentioned Nerano, a quaint seaside village. Unless you really want quiet, I wouldn't stay there, but rather visit it on one of your days - you could do a boat ride there and stay for lunch - although it's a fishing village, it's well known for Zucchine with Pasta! Restaurants are fairly pricey but it is pleasant to sit above the sea and watch the fishing boats bobbing about.

The main road between Positano and Amalfi is currently closed (just a 1 km stretch) so the buses aren't allowed through. You take one to Praiano, then walk 1 km, then get on the bus on the other side to Amalfi. Alternatively, you could take a ferry from either Sorrento or Positano to Amalfi. They're saying it'll be re-opened by Easter, but who knows??

AMALFI/RAVELLO

Where you get off the ferry you'll come upon the bus terminus and from here is where you'd catch a bus to go up to Ravello. The views are spectacular and it's quaint, but there's not much to see, other than the villa's - a few hours there is adequate.

If you're here during the summer, the Ravello Music Festival is worth attending, especially a concert at night in the gardens of Villa Rufolo. If you do do this, just remember that there are different times for different days and dependng on what night you go on you may get down to Amalfi, but then not find a bus to get back to Positano or Sorrento. You may want to consider a private transfer for this. Positano would probably be a better base as it's closer.

PAESTUM

Paestum is worth a visit - and the museum is right there too! From Positano, take the ferry to Salerno (stops briefly in Amalfi), takes an hour, then you need to find your way to the bus stop to get the bus to Paestum. All in all, you'd be looking at a day's outing. You may want to consider doing a guided tour which also includes a visit to the one and only organic buffalo mozzarella farm in Italy, lunch and of course, Paestum. Transport included too, so no hassles with trying to find your way around plus you have the added advantage of going with someone who know's the history and can share some stories.

CAPRI

Capri can also be done as a day trip. There are boat excursions available that take you along the coast, then around the island of Capri itself, with a 4 hour stop on the island. It's a sublime day out and includes swims in various grottoes. Capri is beautiful, but everyone who has fallen in love with it seems to be one who has headed out of the town and away from the crowds. There are spectacular walks, so much history, and incredible views. Again, going with someone who knows the lay of the land, will ensure you get to truly experience what it's about.

Alternatively you can get a ferry or hydrofoil there, spend the day there and come back later at night, though then you'd have to take a ferry back to Sorrento and a bus from there to Positano, if that's where you decide to stay.

Naples, Pompeii and the Archeological Museum can be done in a day, again, if you have a guide. Pompeii is huge and you can wander around for hours on end and not feel like you've seen what it's all about. Naples is a cultural hot-spot and there is soooo much to see! Above and below ground!

My suggestion would be:
DAY 1: Relax and orientate
DAY 2: Day trip - boat excursion to Capri (also relaxing!)
DAY 3: Day trip - Amalfi/Ravello
DAY 4: Day trip - Naples/Pompei/Museum or Paestum etc
DAY 5: Relax - beach lunch
DAY 6: Back to Rome

Friends of mine have used a locally-based operator called Positano Adventure Walks for excursions etc. and loved their time-out with them. It's operated by an American-Italian who's lived here for 15 years and who is passionate about the area, it's history, archeology and natural beauty - and is delighted to share his knowledge with visitors to the area.

Hope this has added some insight!

Buon viaggio!
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 04:34 AM

Hi DTPH

One of the problems about asking for advice, is that you get everyone's favourite things to do, but in a good way!

Great advice and information from vademecum. Here's my twopennorth for what it's worth:

After Rome, take your preferred mode of transport to Naples and have a night ther, aiming to leave around noon the following day. This will give you the chance to do whistle-stop tour of the City. Depending on whether you want to drive or use public transport, I'd then head for the Amalfi coast, but take in Pompeii and Herculaneum on the way. Obviously, a self drive car would be better, if you feel comfortable driving.

I'd choose Positano for my base, as it's a fantastic village to stay in, especially as someone said about Capri, after the tourists have gone. You've got access to the Amalfi towns, most of which are day trips. You can also do Capri as a day trip, because I honestly feel that it's enough for there. Try the Palazzo Murat for a great Hotel in the right place in Positano.

Whatever you decide to choose, you'll have a great time.
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

jetset & axelrod...i totally agree that i should do rome first and end with relaxation =)

thanks ira! i doubt i will spend any nights in naples tho.

Lifeman - thank you! i think i'll go with your suggestion and choose positano as the base....sounds beautiful!

vademecum - wow! thank you soo much for providing so much thought and guidance! this is exactly what i need and it's
definitely not too late! i have only booked my air from the US to Rome so far. So i have a completely open itinerary
for 9 days and no hotels or transportation booked yet.
i love all ur advice for rome, and i'll make sure we stay near a Metro stop so we can easily get to all the tourist attractions.

Q. what is the best way to look for and book hotels in rome? should i search on a website like orbitz or book directly throught the hotel?

thanks for providing the info on how best to get to naples from rome.

Q. do i buy my train tickets in advance from the US or can i buy them the same morning that i want to leave rome right at the train station?

You mentioned i can take the SITA bus from the naples train station to Positano.

Q. do i buy the bus tickets in advance from the US or can i buy them when i arrive in naples?

from the way you described positano and sorrento, i think i want to stay in positano =)

Q. i still want to visit sorrento...what's the best way to get from positano to sorrento? and if we want to hang out there one night for dinner and a little after (since u said the nightlife is better there), is it safe to travel from sorrento back to positano late night to get back to our hotel?
should we try to also see sorrento during the day?

thanks for describing exactly how to reach amalfi/ravello and paestum. extremely helpful!

Q. since u did such a wonderful job mapping everything out, can you also tell me how to get from positano to pompeii? and is that another full day trip like paestum would be?

so as of right now, here's what my itinerary looks like:

day 1 - Rome
day 2 - Rome
day 3 - Rome-Naples-Positano -- Get settled in
day 4 - Day trip - Amalfi/Ravello
day 5 - Day trip - Paestum
day 6 - Day trip - Naples/Pompei/Herculaneum
day 7 -
day 8 -
day 9 - Return to Rome
day 10 - depart Rome to US

Q. can you tell me if i should make day 7 a day trip to Capri or should we stay in Capri day 7 and day 8 and go from Capri to Rome on day 9?

Q. also, where should i fit in Sorrento?

Q. what is the best way to look for and book hotels in positano (and maybe capri if you suggest we stay there)? should i search on a website like orbitz or book directly throught the hotel?

thank you sooo much for ur help!
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

hi ...can someone help answer my questions from the post above on march 16 ?
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 12:01 PM

That blows, about the road being closed between Positano and Amalfi. I'm going in two weeks but splitting time between Rome and the AC.

Rome hotels, you can search venere.com as a start. Google Rome B&B too. And then you can Google the names of specific places and there will usually be links to reviews on TripAdvisor and other sites as well as the actual hotel/B&B site.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 11:17 AM

A great little hotel in Rome is Residenza Canali. It is near the Piazza Navonna, and not far from the Vatican. Small, friendly, reasonably priced for Rome. I stayed there, and friends and family have since gone too and love it and it's location. No elevator and a lot of stairs, so be advised.
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 11:43 AM

dtph - i am making this exact trip in two weeks - in/out Rome + the Amalfi Coast - for 9 nights. what did you end up doing? Do you have any recommendations from your trip?
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 05:38 AM

dtph/tadams how was your trip? do you have recommendations - this is the exact trip we're planning for summer 11
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 06:36 AM

Clanbowen:
You can click on my name and reach my report on our trip to the Amalfi Coast and rome in september-october 2009.We loved everything and every minute!!!!
Have a nice trip.