Search

Rome, Naples, Capri on July

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome, Naples, Capri on July

Hello,
We are a young couple planning our honeymoon trip to Italy in the middle of July.
So far we have decided on following: arriving in Rome, 2 nights in Rome, by train to Naples, 2 nights in Naples, 5 nights in Capri (we have already made reservations there), and flying back home from Rome.
We would appreciate any suggestions on the must see places.
I’ve heard that Rome in summer is too hot, too crowded… Maybe we shouldn’t stay there 2 nights, but only 1?
Also, I’ve heard about the Opera house in Naples. We are great fans of opera; can anyone share some information about the possibilities of getting the opera tickets in advance?
Thank you.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 11:38 AM

We were in Rome during the incredible heatwave a few years ago, and still enjoyed it. Two nights is not enough time to see much of Rome, but it's certainly better than one night, which in my opinion, almost not worth doing at all.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 11:38 AM

You might consider switching your two nights in Naples for two nights in Sorrento. You can do a day tour to Naples, but hang out in Sorrento because it is lovely and friendly and MUCH DIFFERENT than Naples at night. just a mild suggestion. I love Capri and so will you. I also think if you do Sorrento rather than Naples, you should book an Amalfi Coast tour for the day which will drive you up/down the breathtaking Amalfi Coast, with stops in Amalfi and Positano. You will be in awe it is so beautiful.

Definitely give Rome at least two nights. I love Rome (excuse me, I meant to say I LOVE ITALY). And there is much to do there. Much much much to do and see. Disregard the "crowded" and "hot" comments re Rome. It's Italy. What's not to love, even if it is crowded? You'll love the energy in Rome.

Buon viaggio~!
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 11:42 AM

Re Weadles comment: Forgot to mention we spent 6 weeks in Italy a couple of summers ago, as Weadles did. Hotter than blue blazes in July and August - but we still have a blast. Rome in the afternoon is like an oven if you are walking around after the bricks have baked in the sole di pommeriggio (afternoon sun). Just up your gelato consumption. That's what we did! My husband would just whisper "ombra" (pron Ohm Bruh) after a few days which means "shade" and we would just cross the street to get in the shad while we were walking. It was hilarious. Our little one word sign to get out of the beating rays. Drink tons of water, eat gelato, smile and you will be fine and have a fantastic honeymoon! See my italy pages at www.virtualtourist.com - my member name is sbenedec. Ciao e buon viaggio!
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 11:43 AM

Hi Inese.

I think you will be fine in July in Rome - we traveled there last summer during that same time frame and while it was definitely warm, we certainly didn't suffer. Plan to sit the middle of the day out in a cool place, and you'll do great!

The opera house in Naples (Teatro San Carlo) is beautiful - they sell tickets in advance online and it looks like in July of this year they are doing Mediterranea and Il Trovatore. Here's a link to the website in English:
http://www.teatrosancarlo.it/english/home.html

As far as must see - I can tell you LOTS about Capri. I would say the must-sees on Capri are as follows:
Arco Naturale (natural arch)
Villa Jovis (Emperor Tiberius' villa)
Villa San Michele (Axel Munthe's villa)
Villa Malaparte/Grotta Matermania/Faraglioni walk around the island
Chairlift to Monte Solaro in Anacapri
Gardens of Augustus
And, of course, even though it costs way too much and goes far too quickly, it is requisite to go to the Blue Grotto.

Lots of great hiking and walking paths that have some of the most breathtaking views you will ever see.

In my opinion, Capri is a great place to honeymoon - it forces you to relax and take in the beauty of Italy and the Mediterranean.

Old Mar 29th, 2005, 12:16 PM
ira

Hi In,

May I suggest that you fly in/out of Naples, do 3 nights in Naples (see Pompeii, Herculaneum and Mt Vesuvius), 3 nights in Positano or Amalfi, 3 nights on Capri before heading home.

Rome is 2758 years old. It will be there when you come back.

Old Mar 30th, 2005, 12:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for information! It has been very useful!!!
I will do some more reaserch and post again with some specific questions.
Inese
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 05:28 AM

Inese, sometimes in summer the San Carlo company performs outdoors at the Campo Flegrea. Be sure to check carefully so that you know what you are getting when you buy tickets, although I'd be happy to attend either places! You may be able to tour the San Carlo Opera House even if the performances are in the outdoor arena.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

To Eliztrav,
Yes, I checked the web site and found out that in July they perform in Arena Flegrea. Maybe you have visited outdoor performance there? Is it enjoyable?