Italy Itinerary Suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2005, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are considering a first visit to Italy next year. We would like to use some of our Marriott points for hotels (they have hotels in Capri, Rome, Milan and Naples). If you had one week in Italy, what itinerary would you suggest that would allow us to see a good sample of the country and stay at one or two of Marriott locations?
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 06:10 PM
rex

Rome/Naples/Capri. 4/2/1.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 01:53 PM

With onlt one week, I would stay in Rome and Naples only. Take the aliscaffo (hydrofoil) from Naples to Capri and do Capri as a daytrip(s) instead. Yes, Capri isn't as magical during the day than it is at night, but the logistics of time and travel are better from Naples. From Naples, you can eat pizza, see the sites in Naples, travel to Capri and/or Ischia, see Pompeii or Herculaneum, and provide for easier access back to Rome. I would fly into Naples, spend 3 nights in Naples, 3 nights in Rome, and then fly home from Rome.

The Rome Marriott is very nice, and is located right at the very top of the Via Veneto. I do not know what the Naples Marriott is like.

See this thread for my observations from 3 days in Naples about a month ago.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34647441
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 03:39 AM
ira

Hi luv,

Considering your constraints, with only one week, I suggest staying in rome with daytrips to Ostia Antica and Orvieto.

Or a week in Naples with day trips to Vesuvius, Pompeii or Herculaneum or Paestum, and Capri.

Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 04:31 AM

I agree with Ira on this one (sorry, Rex). Spend the time in Rome with sidetrips - the slower pace, coupled with *so much* to do and see in Rome, will turn out to be a fantastic trip.
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 08:11 AM
rex

No problem, dwz - - I can't disagree with a week of staying put.

But someone asking for an <i>itinerary</i> usually will think that you have given them no answer if you tell them go one place and stay put.

I think that either plan is satisfactory (with the caveat that routinely, I do not recommend starting in Rome at all - - I think that Florence is an easier &quot;ease-into-Italy&quot; destination for first-timers. Leave the <u>high intensity</u> of Rome until the 2nd, 3rd or 4th day when you have begun to acclimate to the language, the money, the time zone, etc - - to reduce the feeling of overwhelming bewilderment).

But these people only have a week, and there is no Florence Marriott (and Milan is too far away to be worth the bother). And with the (possible) &quot;Americanization&quot; they (might? will?) encounter at a Marriott, they will have some refuge, if/when Rome proves to be &quot;too much&quot; for them on their first day.