Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amalfi Coast in One day, as a daytrip from Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anybody done this before? A daytrip either to Amalfi Coast, Pompei or Naples from Rome? How much do they cost (I have a train pass that allows me to travel the day extensively for free), and is it really recommended? I have a rather short time for my trip, but hope to see as much of Italy as I can inspite that.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 12:55 PM
ira

Hi Alecki,

Assuming that your railpasses arrive in time, of the 3, I suggest seeing Pompeii.

You might have to pay for the Circuvesuviana train from Naples Centrale to Pompei Scavi, since it is not part of the Trenitalia system, but it is quite cheap.

Second best is to visit Naples for the day.

I wouldn't bother with the Amalfi Coast in January. If the weather is bad, you won't see much.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jan 12th, 2007, 08:32 AM
ira

ttt
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 09:24 AM

Hi,

On my honeymoon last year, I hired a driver Angelo Frattini (could get his card if youre interested). He took us on a luxury drive sipping champagne in a mercedes s500 down to Almafi from Rome one day during the last week of May 2006. It was an 8am pickup and 10pm drop off for about $1,000 or so. I forget. He took us to Positano, Almafi and Ravello with stops to take pictures, have lunch, gelato and drinks at my favorite three hotels: le Sirenuse, Il San Pietro and Palazzo Sasso.It was a glorious day!

If you want his contact info let me konw =)
Natalie
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 04:51 PM

In 2001 we booked a bus tour to Naples, Capri (blue grotto), and Sorrento for the day. I booked the tour through American Express before we left. We did a lot of independent travel through Italy during our 3 week visit but booked this while staying with our friend in Rome. It was definitely a whirlwind day but we really loved it. It was in April, the weather was sunny and mild and it was just a lovely day to go to Capri. We only saw a small portion of Naples, toured the touristy area of Capri, went to the Blue Grotto which was just beautiful -except if you are prone to motion sickness it is not an adviseable excursion because you have to sit in row boats and wait until you can enter the grotto- plus you have to climb out of a larger row boat into a small row boat with no more than three people plus the guide in order to enter the grotto. Sorrento was lovely but they took us to a wood inlay factory that was just a hyped place. Nonetheless, it was a great way to see southern Italy with limited time (since we concentrated most of our trip in the north and Rome). Southern Italy- Capri and the Amalfi Coast is just breathtakingly beautiful.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Sounds really great, are there any websites on the internet offering such day trip offers?
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 04:52 AM

Hi Aleckii - There are several companies which run bus tours from Rome to Pompei - Vastours, Appianline, Carrani, Greenline, American Express ...

VASTOURS (Tour 13)
http://www.romeguide.it/vastours/

CARRANI (Tour 13)
http://www.carrani.com/gb/viaggi/tour13.htm

APPIAN (Tour 14)
http://www.appianline.it/italy2004/fuldayro.htm

GREENLINE (Tour15)
http://www.romeguide.it/greenline/greenline_eng.htm

A common problem with these tours is that for most people they don't allow enough time at Pompeii - usually only about 2 hours.

They usually include a cameo factory visit and lunch en route - and you don't get to Pompei till after lunch.
Some also include a short 30 mins. stop in Sorrento before returning to Rome.

It's all a bit rushed IMO - and not cheap; most charge approx. €100

Alternatively you can do it rather more cheaply by public transport.

TRAIN

- If you go by TRAIN, with an early start you can be at Pompei by 10.00 or soon after.
Take the train from Roma Termini to Napoli Centrale, then the Circumvesuviana train to POMPEI SCAVI.

For timetables see:
www.trenitalia.it (Rome-Naples trains)
www.massalubrense.it/circum.htm (Circumvesuviana)

[You could include Sorrento too - it's only 30 mins by train from Pompei].

BUS

- There are SHUTTLE BUSES from Rome in high season run by MAROZZI (approx. €29) and by ENJOY ROME (€45-55)

www.marozzivt.it/HomePage.htm
www.enjoyrome.com/shuttle_tour/pompeii.html

The MAROZZI Rome-Pompei-Sorrento shuttle service runs in summer, leaving Rome at 07.00(- deps. from outside Tiburtina station), arriving Pompei about 10.00.

The return Marozzi bus leaves Sorrento approx. 18.00 and Pompei approx. 18.45, arriving Rome about 21.30.

The ENJOY ROME Pompei shuttle returns to Rome earlier - for details see the above link.

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Old Jan 13th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Steve,

Thank you so much! Those informations wee exactly what I needed. I've decided to take the train to Pompeii, then maybe to Sorrento, on train, since we have a railpass to travel extensively (and to me more importantly- Free!) in Europe.

Could you describe more about Pompeii and Sorrento? I read that it was popular for being in ruins after a volcanoe eruption from the Vesuvius, how does the place look like? Scenic views? Or just boring, historical place? And Sorrento?

What about other alternatives? Eg a visit to Naples or Amalfi coast for a day, in comparison to Pompeii and Sorrento?
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 07:11 PM

I would also consider an unusual approach that avoids the Naples mess and the Circumv train (not free to you, and burned in my memory is a huge shortchange they did to me, leaving with not enough money to eat before leaving Italy).

The general approach is to go Rome to Salerno. From there take a ferry up to Amalfi and Positano - I can hardly tell you enough how scenic this is, even more than the famous bus that would leave you a long climb away from the portside of Positano.

Very very carefully review the train schedule on the web. Try to get thru Naples without changing, but in at least on direction it may help to change to a slower train. Then you can stop on the "backside" of Pompeii, and even go beyond Salerno to Paestum which is a stunning GREEK ruins with excellant modern museum. For these review online maps carefully because the stations are probably out of line of sight of your destinations and deserted with no ticket office.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 11:25 PM

Pompeii will quite likely take your breath away. You really need a full day to get any kind of feel for the place. It will be indellibly marked in your memory. There are some pics and general info on our website
www.leightravelclub.com
look at the Amalfi Coast page.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 05:16 AM

Here's a useful link for Pompeii:

http://www2.pompeiisites.org/databas...3?OpenDocument

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Also, how would I know if my train ride is free or not? I mean, I found out some locally operated train services are not actually covered by Trenitalia or any other railpass. As I have a railpass, what should I do to minimize additional charges on transport?
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 05:48 AM

Hi Ira - your advise is usually spot on but I don't completely agree this time. I do agree not to bother with the Amalfi coast as a day trip from Rome, but it is because of the time and logistics. True if the weather is bad you wont see much, but the weather can also be great in January. The last time I drove the Amalfi coast was in January '04 and it was sunny and gorgeous. It was light sweater weather and easily warm enough to enjoy lunch at an outside table in Amalfi and veg out on a bench under a palm tree. There were even some flowers in bloom.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 06:25 AM

The Amalfi Coast from Rome as a day trip is not at all practical. The distances are too far. By train you would spend all day traveling and by car you would have very little time to spend anyplace. You would just be traveling constantly. This area is worth much more than a day.

Larry

Old Jan 14th, 2007, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

I just found out on this website:

http://www.vesuviana.it/faqen.htm

Prices for my trip:

Rome - Naples: Free from the Raipass

Naples - Pompeii: 2.20 euro

Pompeii - Sorrento: 1.80 euro

Sorrento - Naples: 3.10euro

Naples - Rome: Free

Now, all I need ot know is the price of a tour- of course if there was a self-guided tour, it would be better... Any audioguides for Pompeii?
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Oh yeah, and Thank you so much for all your replies, they were such great helps!
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 07:24 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes. audioguides are available at the entrance. www.pompeiisites.org
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 12:44 AM
Original Poster

I can't find the audioguide anywhere on the website though. Are they downloadable?

And about Sorrento? What's the place like?
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 04:44 AM

You rent the audioguide at the entrance and leave an ID until you return it. The audioguide doesn't require headphones. All the sites at Pompeii are numbered and you enter the number into the audioguide to hear the information.

Sorrento is the end of the line on the Circumvesuviana about 30 minutes past Pompeii. www.sorrentoinfo.com
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 01:21 PM

Here's the link to the audioguides.
http://tinyurl.com/ukmok