Search

Rome: Marriott Grand Flora or Hotel Majestic

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2003, 10:16 AM
DMG
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome: Marriott Grand Flora or Hotel Majestic

We are planning a trip to Rome in October. We are considering the Marriott Grand Flora or the Majestic. Can anyone help us with the pro and/or cons of each?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 01:39 PM
Intrepid

The Flora is at the very top of the Via Veneto, directly across from Harry's Bar, and an easy walk to both the Borghese gardens/museum and the top of the Spanish Steps. Almost undoubtedly you'll probably get creamed for even thinking of staying in a Marriott on the basis that it somehow isn't "Italian"..this despite the fact that it is run and staffed by Italians. Cannot comment on how the amenities stack up against your other possibility.

Old Aug 4th, 2003, 02:53 PM

As I posted in another thread a few days ago, the Rome Marriott is a luxury hotel on the Via Veneto that you'll pay through the nose for. Marriott's website lists the "cheap" rate as being E350 per night. It's a wonderful, luxury hotel, albeit with an American twist (it IS an American chain, after all).
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 06:26 PM

we stayed at this hotel years ago when Ciga hotels owned it..the location is terrific-- we had a room on the corner overlooking the Villa Borghese=it was an oval room with parquet flooring and oriental carpets , with a bathroom as large as the hotel room the nite before in Florence....

Here is a new link that will show you the hotel rooms...it doesn't look like the rooms we had, so I supposed that is due to Marriott's probably overhaul...but it is still a great hotel...

click on the area where it says PICTURES and click on each Pix to see the rooms and public spaces:

http://www.voyagenow.com/hotels/rome...and_flora.html
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 03:07 AM
DMG
Original Poster

The Marriott is sounding good. Any feedback about the Majestic? It is a little less costly but I'd like to know more about it.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 05:20 AM

I am a big fan of the Marriott, and have stayed there several times on both business and pleasure. Very well run, nicely kept, nice marble baths. As with many hotels in Europe, room size is all over the map, some small rooms and some very large rooms. Great food. Best Bellini's in Rome, IMO.

I don't know the Majestic, but on the Rants and Raves here the Majestic got a 4 and the Marriott a 4.6. There were several comments on the Majestic page about old and broken down furniture, etc.

I prefer the Spanish Steps area as a tourist, but if you want to be in the Via Veneto, the Marriott is a great choice.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 09:35 AM
DMG
Original Poster

ttt

(I still would like information on the Majestic. Thanks.)
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 12:30 PM
GaiusJulius

If I were to choose between the Marriott Grand Flora or the Majestic, I would choose the Grand Flora. It is an Italian Hotel managed by the Marriott chain. There is nothing american about it. A beautiful hotel situated across the street from the American Embassy. I would recommend this hotel highly, but I prefer to stay in the center, near the Pantheon. From there, one can walk to everyting to see in Rome. All the sights within 15 minute walk, I only take a cab to the Vatican. suggestions, of Hotels are Colonna Palace, Santa Chiara, and 5 star Minerva.
Ciao,
GaiusJulius