Marriott Rome Grand Hotel Flora

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2003, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking of staying at the Marriott Rome Grand Hotel Flora on points and would like any information about the hotel and general location.
Old Sep 20th, 2003, 03:43 AM
DMG

Most people like the hotel and do not consider it a "typical" Marriott. There is lots of information if you do a search for Marriott Grand Flora on this forum. Personally, I think the location at the top of the Via Venetto is good; you can easily walk to the Spanish Steps. And if you are using points, it's the best deal in town!
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 02:42 AM

I have stayed there several times. I always have liked the room I was given, some are smaller than others so ask for the largest available room. The hotel is very well maintained, rooms are well furnished and have nice bathrooms. The rooms not facing onto Via Veneto will be a bit quitier; as will rooms on a high floor, but overall the noise level is good for Rome. Food is good, staff is very helpful. Good location esp for shopping and the Borghese gardens. You can walk to Spanish Steps, but it is a bit of a walk.

I agree that if you are using points, then it is an easy decision to stay here.
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 09:22 AM

We also stayed there using points. Is an older hotel that has been upgraded adn IMO is very nice and not at all "chainy". Plus they have free access internet computer right near the elevators, so you can give us an on the spot trip report.
Breakfast is good but costs 22E. An alternative is at the other end of block, the cafe where the hotel employees go, the barista lived in US and is very helpful. If weather is good you can sit at table outside for no extra.
Buon viaggio!!
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 12:20 PM

Hi, mjquinton. We stayed twice at the Flora in 94 before it was a Marriott. We flew to Rome, then left with a tour, then went back to Rome. As stated, it is an older traditional hotel but the location is lovely, near Borghese (?) gardens and next to the remains of an ancient wall and gate. We found lots of restaurants in the area and friendly helpful store clerks; we were also given a courtesy ride to the airport in a HUGE Mercedes. Felt like royalty. The rooms were quite comfortable and the bathrooms more than adequate. Granted it was almost ten years ago, but the staff was helpful and very friendly. I would certainly stay there again; it was filled with Europeans; very few American tourists used it at that time. There are probably more now if it's a Marriott property.
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 12:27 PM
Intrepid

We very strongly considered staying at this property earlier this year while in Rome but ended up geting what we felt was a better deal at a hotel nearby.
I would agree that if you want to be on the Via Veneto the Flora is about as good as it gets...as has al ready been said, close to the top of the Spanish Steps, a few minutes walk to the Borghese Gallery and gardens/zoo.
I continued to be a bit mystified by all the angst that is caused by staying in a so-called "chain" hotel given the fact that a great MANY of the hotels in Rome and elsewhere are part of some sort of "chain." And don't make the mistake of thinking that because it is a Marriott you're going to end up thinking you are staying in Des Moines...the Flora is most definitely an "Italian" hotel and if you can get it at a decent price I would go for it.

Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 10:48 AM

I am staying at the Marriott Hotel flora in October with points. Does the hotel have a concierge lounge like those in the states for morning juice and fruit? Does it have a shuttle to/from the airport (a stretch I admit)?
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 02:51 AM

I don't believe they have either a concierge/business lounge or an airport shuttle. The website did not list these as being available either. However, your best bet is to contact the hotel directly.
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 04:39 AM

Stayed there once. The hotel is quite nice.
If you are not using points, you should check out the Hotel Barocco, closer to the Spanish Steps. It is a small Italian hotel, serves a great breakfast and the staff really takes care of you.
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 11:04 AM

Good luck getting points. I tried to redeem points there for an October trip and they said they hotel was no longer accepting points. So we opted for Paris and Barcelona instead.