Rome Hotel: In or Out of City?

Oct 15th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Rome Hotel: In or Out of City?

My wife and I will be honeymooning in Rome next April. We are torn between staying at a hotel located in the city versus one on the outskirts of the city. I am a light sleeper and am concerned about noise if we stay in the city. On the other hand, many of the reviews I've read about hotels located on the outskirts require you to plan your day around the shuttles/trains/bus schedules, and i are generally inconvenient to all the Rome sites. Any helpful advice would be most appreciated.
Oct 15th, 2007, 10:03 AM

Definitely in the city.

Read the reviews of hotels within your price range on tripadvisor.com as many posters comment on noise levels.

We have had good luck at the Capo D'Africa for large and quiet rooms very near the Colosseum. Not dead center but not requiring a shuttle. We are booked at the Sofitel Roma for this trip next week for a quiet and peaceful location still in the center.

If you book in the Pantheon area, request a room away from the square, as we found the scooter noise lasted til very late when we were at the Senato. I am a very light sleeper. At the Minerve (several stays) I had no problems.

Oct 15th, 2007, 10:05 AM

stay in the historic city center. Most hotels have double-pane windows. Noise can be a problem, especially if you need to open a window at night, but it usual affects rooms facing a certain street that's noisy. There are many hotels that have perfectly quiet rooms, facing inner courtyards or quiet streets.

If you provide your price range, people here can recommed good hotels and advise on the best room locations.
Oct 15th, 2007, 10:09 AM

I would not commute to Rome on a honeymoon. I lived outside of Rome for two months and took the train into the city frequently. Not my idea of a vacation. You can find a hotel with good sound insulation. Residenza Antica Roma near the Spanish Steps was fine as I remember, and in a great location. You might want to repost with noise level as a criteria for a Rome hotel. Trip advisor might provide some guidance as well. Good luck!
Oct 15th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to those that have responded! You asked about our price range for a hotel, we are looking at hotels in the $250 - $300 per night range. Thank you...
Oct 15th, 2007, 11:15 AM

Try reposting with a heading something like "Need recs for quiet Rome hotel in April for honeymoon ($250-300 budget)". You should get some good recommedations.

ALso check out venere.com. You can put in your dates, and filter the results by price, location, etc. They also her user ratings.
Oct 15th, 2007, 11:32 AM

I would not under any circumstances stay on the outskirts of the city. There are plenty of lovely hotels on quiet streets in the historic center. Part of the joy of exploring Rome is walking everywhere because everything is so close. Evening strolls back to your hotel after dinner are so romantic; you won't want to miss out on those!

I for one love the Albergo del Senato, but if you are at all worried about noise, I guess I would not recommend it (part of the point of staying there is to have a view of the Pantheon, and there is always the chance of some noise floating up from the piazza).

You might consider one of the top-floor rooms at Residenza Canali. This is a charming little hotel on a quiet street but only a stone's throw from Piazza Navona. My mom and I stayed there in June and loved it. It is not a super-fancy place, but the staff are friendly, the rooms are well-appointed and the breakfast is great.

http://www.residenzacanali.com
Oct 15th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Weekender

I just returned from Rome and stayed in a Pantheon facing room at the Albergo del Senato. Absolutely quiet with the windows closed. Wonderful hotel with a great location.

Oct 15th, 2007, 04:13 PM

I stayed in a room facing the Pantheon at the Senato. I am a light sleeper and was awakened by partying in the square as well as scooters so I think it depends on how soundly one sleeps. JME.

Good luck getting it in your price range as their rates have really skyrocketed since I first stayed there 5 years ago. Now I will not pay the price when I can stay at the Minerve if I want to splurge and others if I want a large room and a good value.
Oct 15th, 2007, 04:23 PM

Absolutely stay in the center. Not only will you be much closer to everything you want to see/do - and not waste hours tekking back and forth - but the outskirts are likely to be at least as noisy as the center (more car/highway traffic). Parts of the historic center are more a pedestrian zone with relatively few cars.

The only way to ensure a relatively quiet room is to stay in a deluxe hotel with double glazed window and on a courtyard rather than facing the street. Or - you might consider taking a white noise machine with you - since - just by it;s nature any city is going to be louder than the country.
Oct 15th, 2007, 05:37 PM

Here are few to look over that meet your requirements - all in the Historic Center:

http://www.hotelteatrodipompeo.it/

http://www.albergocesari.it/

http://www.albergosantachiara.com/

Oct 15th, 2007, 05:47 PM

Hi Mike,

I'll pile on here and say by all means stay in the Centro Storico!

Also, I can realate as I am a very light sleeper too. I stayed at hotel on a very busy street, my room faced the street - BUT the windows were double-paned and I slept like a rock. In April, you may or may not need A/C with the windows closed, but with your budget, you should have A/C.

Be sure to ask specifically for double-paned windows and A/C, AND when the A/C is turned on for the season.

Congrats and buon viaggio!
Oct 15th, 2007, 07:14 PM

I recommend the Hotel Fontanella Borghese. Doubles in April 2008 will range from 175 to 255 euros. Ask for a room facing the interior courtyard. The hotel is about halfway between the Spanish Steps and Piazza Navona.

www.fontanellaborghese.com
Oct 16th, 2007, 09:18 AM

In, in, in!

Staying outside Rome would eliminate 3/4 of the delight of visiting that throbbing, vital, drop-dead gorgeous city.

Last year we really enjoyed staying in the Trastevere section, at the Arco del Lauro; but previously we enjoyed both the Senato (mentioned here) and the Hotel Portoghesi (perfectissimo!) in the centro storico.
Oct 16th, 2007, 09:43 AM

Mike, Totally agree that staying outside the city makes no sense at all. However, I want to offer a completely different point of view regarding noise, one that you may want to consider.

I cannot stand noise when I'm trying to sleep. As you may imagine, I had a hard time in college dorms for four years. The sound of a typewriter in the next room could keep me up. Had a roommate who would file her nails early a.m. in the dark, something that had be holding blankets and my pillow over my head.

The thin walls of European hotel rooms have driven me to carry ear plugs with me wherever I go. However, I have finally learned that when I travel, the noise is part of the fun of the trip. So...my best memory of Switzerland is cow bells (loud ones!) all night and Rome is Pantheon square with singers and scooters at 3 a.m. The last time in Rome, I purposely kept the windows wide open, and when my husband, whose zzzz's couldn't be impacted by a brass band, complained he was freezing to death, I just got him more blankets.

Oct 16th, 2007, 10:05 AM

josephina, I couldn't agree more! Well-said!
Oct 17th, 2007, 12:34 AM

I'm in love with Rome. My whole family has very fond memories of our first visit to Rome. I'm a light sleeper too. I found the perfect hotel in Rome. It's the Hotel Nationale a Montecitorio on Piazza Montecitorio in Rome, very short walking distance to the Pantheon. That was in 2004 so check Rick Steves newest guidebook and see if he still recommends it. Our room was on the very quiet Piazza Montecitorio...this piazza is quiet because the only other building is the Italian government guilding and there aren't any restaurants allowed on this piazza...so it's quiet at night. We slept great, right around the corner from the Pantheon, walking distance to the Trevi fountain and to lots of atmospheric piazzas. ROME is all about atmosphere, and you want to stay in a hotel where you walk right out your door and you're in magical Rome.

We walked most places from our hotel. Once we took a cheap public bus to the Vatican Museums and then walked back to our hotel.

IF you look up reviews for this hotel, I must tell you that when I originally posted our review in 2004, I noticed that many people have this hotel mixed up with several hotels that have very similar names. This would be the only Hotel Nationale a Montecitorio that is ON the Piazza Montecitorio.

Good luck! It also helps if you always book directly with your hotel or guest house, by e-mail. Ask specifically for a quiet room on a higher floor. Also tell them you're on your honeymoon and would like a quiet room with a nice view if possible. By e-mail you can ask questions and make special requests. You can request that your room is away from the elevator for example.
Oct 17th, 2007, 12:36 AM

To add to what I said above...the name of the quiet hotel with the good location in Rome may have been Hotel Nazionale a Montecitorio... in my post above I spelled it "Nationale", but I think it's "Nazionale"...
Oct 17th, 2007, 04:31 AM

Also would recommend the Hotel Nazionale Montecitorio. Just as described by the previous post. My daughter and I have the same problem with noise. I would recommend staying on an upper floor that faces the piazza. The only noise we heard was someone talking outside out window-very briefly,but we were on the lower floor and it was not a problem.
They have a very nice breakfast and a very helpful staff to reserve retaurants or call a cab if needed. It was in walking distance of everything except the Vatican for us.
Definitely stay in the city!
Oct 17th, 2007, 07:36 AM

Hi Mike, Not sure if you have booked anything yet but I would definately agree with everyone when they say STAY IN....I loved Navona Suites, its right in the center, besides Piazza Navona and yet seems to block out all the noise of the neighbourhood. You can read about them on tripadvisor. I really enjoyed my stay! Slept soundly!!!