Search

Rome hotel

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2003, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome hotel

I've been reading a lot of good information on this board and just have one question so far.My husband and I are planning to be in Rome May 24th through the 28th. It sounds like the Cesari is a favorite hotel along with the Santa Chiara. Has anyone had any experience with the Grand Hotel Olympic? Good location, decent rooms, etc? It has a great price for two people but I can't find any reviews or the area that it is in. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 04:36 PM

I have not heard of the Grand Hotel Olympic and maybe others here haven't heard of it as well, therefore, you haven't gotten responses. I would select either of the two other hotels you mention-esp. the Santa Chiara.
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 05:34 PM

I have no personal experience with this hotel, however, here's the URL of a booking website with description, photos, and a map: http://www.smallandeleganthotels.com/Rome/Olympic.htm<BR><BR>It looks nice enough, and rates are reasonable for Rome. The location is near the Vatican, on the other side of the river from the main historic center. The other hotels you named are near the Piazza Navona, which is more or less right in the center of things.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 03:15 AM

If you want a hotel in the historic centre of Rome, the Colonna Palace Hotel is the one. (4 star). No restaurant - we had breakfast on the rooftop) We stayed there for 2 weeks last year. It faces the Parliament Buildings, so no traffic passes by. Traditional hotel. So convenient - 5 minutes walk to all the major sites.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. The price on the Grand was $157US/night which made me wonder about it! I think we'll stick with the Cesari or Santa Chiara. Will also look up the Colonna. If anyone knows anything about the Grand I'd still like to hear from you! Thanks!
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 07:56 PM

I stayed at the Hotel Olympic a few months ago. The hotel is clean &amp; the rooms are nice too. The location is next to the Vatican with pretty good shopping nearby. However, if I were to visit Rome again, I wouldn't stay there only because of the location. We walked from Piazza Navona across the Tiber back to the Olympic, but it was a very long walk. If that's the best deal you can find, you can always stay at the Olympic &amp; take a taxi to the center of town. I have a brochure for the hotel &amp; their website is www.aurumhotels.it.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 02:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Sarah. Never having been to Rome or Europe before I'm sure I'll have many questions. Is there any public transportation close by the Olympic that would take us to the center of town? The rate is so inexpensive I'm almost tempted to book it and use the taxis each day! Thanks again.
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 09:43 PM

I didn't use Rome's public transportation, but from what I've heard, Rome has a pretty good public transportation system. I think it's Bus #64 that goes all over town, but I'm not sure of that. If the Olympic is the best deal you can find, then I'd recommend booking it since it's a pretty nice place. It's about a 15-20 min. walk to the Trevi Fountain &amp; Pizza di Spagna. I took taxi's around town (after my walk back to the hotel on my first night) &amp; it didn't cost that much. Just make sure the taxi's are metered &amp; if they're not, agree on a price before you get in it.