Search

Rome hotel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 05:32 PM
Allan

Rome hotel

Where would suggest the best area to stay in Rome was to be amongst it all? Thinking of spanish steps area.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 06:14 PM
steve

The Spanish Steps area is good but I'd suggest the area near the Pantheon and Piazza Navona as being a little better. The Santa Chiara is a nice, reasonably priced hotel in the area. We found we could easily walk to almost anyplace from there.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 05:09 AM
m

I would also choose the area near navona or the pantheon above the spanish steps, although that area is fine too. In either case you're still near almost everything.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 06:42 AM
Book Chick

Allan,<BR>I was in Rome in January & really enjoyed the area near the Spanish Steps. If you'd like some recommendations, please e-mail me directly.<BR>Buon Viaggio,<BR>BC

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Greg

Another vote for a place near the Piazza Navona. I stayed at Residenza San Pantaleo, about a 3 min. walk from the Piazza. Very clean, basic rooms, breakfast delivered to your room each morning, only . Only drawback was they didn't accept credit cards when I was there last October. Email address is [email protected], web site is http://www.residenzasanpantaleo.com/index2Uk.htm . The Spanish Steps were only about a 20 min. walk away. Double room is under $100 US per night.<BR><BR>Enjoy your trip.<BR><BR>Greg

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 09:01 AM
dan woodlief

Piazza Navona area - advantages: near the Pantheon, Campo dei Fiori, Trastevere, the ancient sights (although most are still a good walk), plenty of restaurants from touristy to off the beaten path.<BR><BR>Spanish Steps - advantages: near the Trevi Fountain, Piazza del Popolo, Via Veneto, Borghese Gardens, lots of restaurants, and the metro<BR><BR>The real advantage to the Spanish Steps area is the access to metro stops, but for proximity to sights and a somewhat less touristy atmosphere I would lean toward the Piazza Navona area. The metro is useful, but it is doesn't take you to many of the places you will want to go. It is useful for several churches, including Santa Maria Maggiore, San Giovanni in Laterano, and San Pietro in Vicoli (Michaelangelo's Moses sculpture, the Vatican, and the Colosseum and Form, in addition to any sights around the Termini station (the baths of Diocletian and the museums nearby). It is hard to go wrong with either location. Do pay attention to whether your hotel of choice is located on a noisy street or square that can impede sleep.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Rachel

I vote for the Spanish steps area, especially if you want to do some shopping. It is still close to the sights.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 11:51 AM
Barb

Greg:<BR><BR>I will be staying at the Res.S.P in Oct. What's the breakfast like? How was the staff - friendly? Are the rooms really small, what about the bathrooms. Big question - is it noisy? Thanks.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 01:12 PM
tttt

tttt

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 01:32 PM
Donelle

Stayed in a neighborhood near Termini--don't cringe--it was a lovely area on Via Luzzati...was walking distance to the station for our day trips, and a short taxi for arrival and departure. We were able to walk to San Antonio and San Giovanni di Laterano (highlight) and taxi short distance to Santa Susanna (American Catholic Services). Despite what's said about being around Termini, we found restaurants, bars, and a little shopping was fine in the area.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 01:40 PM
totie

We loved staying in Campo de Fiori at the Hotel C de F. It was close to buses, great restaurants (Da Pancrazio quickly became a favorite) and because we had a room opening to an interior courtyard, not the Piazza, it wasn't noisy. Walking thru the vegetable market every morning was the perfect introduction to our day...

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 12:24 PM
ttt

toping

Old May 2nd, 2002, 03:22 PM
Laura

Barb, I suggest you take a moment to read my post on RSP (written under the heading "Residenza San Pantaleo." Your questions are all that I addressed, and a bit more, about this pensione.<BR><BR>I don't know what you're into, your tolerance level, but I sure wish someone had written more of an accurate account of their experience there. I have!!!<BR>Great location, though. *You decide.<BR><BR>-Laura-

Old May 19th, 2002, 02:10 AM

topping for caz

Old May 19th, 2002, 07:34 AM
Mike Miller

We always stay at the Hotel Italia Pensione which is off of Via Natzionale and within walking distance to the Forum, Colloseum, etc. Here is their site address: http://www.hotelitaliaroma.com/

Old May 20th, 2002, 01:20 PM
fairfax

We stayed at the Hotel Condotti, just a block from the Spanish Steps in February. It was close enough to the action, but far enough away to not be noisy. We had the windows cracked open and there was a little street noise, but not enough to bother us. We booked through Charming Rome and had no problems.