Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

is the Piazza Navona in rome a good area?HELP if you are a ROME expert.

Dec 22nd, 2002, 10:19 AM
ann

I have found a nice rntal apartment that looks nice in this area. is it a good area? safe? The actual address is No 15 Via dei Leutari.
I like to stay near shopping areas so will I be better off in the spanish steps area?

Dec 22nd, 2002, 11:07 AM
xxx

Piazza Navona is a great area! It's a few minutes away from via Condotti, via del Corso, etc. (i.e. the shopping areas). You can stay near the Spanish Steps but it really doesn't make a big difference-the distance bet. Pza. Navona and the Spanish Steps is not great.

Dec 22nd, 2002, 11:13 AM
Patrick

I'd chose Piazza Navona over Spanish Steps area to stay in any day, but then I'm not a shopper. On the other hand, I always felt the Spanish Steps area is more busy in the day with shopping but rather quiet at night. You couldn't beat the Piazza Navona area at night for atmosphere however, and it is easy to walk from there to do your shopping during the day.

Dec 22nd, 2002, 11:24 AM
deb

we like to stay near the pantheon, which is just a few short blocks from the piazza navona..
your street runs from the busy corso vittorio emanuele to the via d governo vecchio..
seems to be a great location. you will be able to walk in any direction and discover something wonderful..
spanish steps area is very nice,and lots of expensive glitzy shops, but you'll be able to walk there in 20 minutes.
enjoy!

Dec 22nd, 2002, 12:00 PM
Melissa

Not a Rome expert, but have travelled there and agree that Piazza Navona is a wonderful, beautiful area that is pretty centrally located to most of the tourist sites with lots of restaurants and shops. I will never forget my first real Italian meal on my vacation there. Seeing the fountains, the people, the lights and sights literally brought me to tears.
Enjoy!

Dec 22nd, 2002, 01:15 PM
Grinisa

I have stayed in many different areas of Rome and would choose the Piazza Navona area over all of them as it is centrally located and packed with atmosphere. You don't say what kind of shopping you are interested in, but the Spanish Steps area is only a few minutes walk away if you are after expensive, designer shopping. More moderate shopping streets are Via Nazionale, Via Cavour and Via Tritone, all fairly close by to the Piazza Navona. Another area where many Romans shop are the streets around Via Cola di Rienzo near the Vatican, about a 15 minute walk away from your apartment. If it is antiques you are after, Via dei Coronari is just a couple of short blocks away.

Dec 22nd, 2002, 01:39 PM
Book Chick

Piazza Navona is an excellent, safe area of Rome, convenient to the Vatican, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon. The shopping should not be an inconvenience. I frankly did as much shopping on via del Corso if not more than the Spanish Steps area. Via Condotti, right off the Spanish Steps is mighty expensive.

Buon Viaggio,
BC

Dec 22nd, 2002, 03:46 PM
Carolina

Wonderful area.