1st time in Rome

Old May 28th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Diane

1st time in Rome

Help!! I want to book a hotel for 2 nights in july for my Parents 1st trip to Rome as a birthday gift. Due to limited time It needs to have easy access to the sights, be reasonably priced and comfortable! Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Old May 28th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Wayne

Diane--You need to go to "Rome Hotels" in the thread references and look them over. There have been zillions of comments on the type of hotel you are seeking. It doesn't matter, really, which one you pick as long as you find a few positive and no really negative remarks; but for an area to stay I would suggest somewhere in the area formed by drawing a line on the Rome city map from the Spanish Steps, to the Trevi fountain, to the Pantheon, to Piazza Navona and back to the steps. Anywhere within or near that general area is what I would look for. Many people have recommended staying near Navona; I prefer the Pantheon. They are both pretty close, anyway.

Old May 28th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Book Chick

Hi Diane,
You may want to try these places near the Spanish Steps:

Casa Howard

Hotel Parlamento

Hotel San Gregoriana

In a higher price range, same neighborhood: Scalinata di Spagna, Hotel Hassler

Buona Fortuna,
BC

Old May 28th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Roland

We just stayed at the Cesari which is in a reasonable price range and is located between the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain in one direction and the Pantheon and Piazza Navona in the other direction. It is also and easy walk to the Forum area

Old May 28th, 2002, 12:42 PM
elaine

Hi
As suggested, do a search here on Rome hotel and you will find many.
Don't know what you want to spend, but I recommend the Santa Chiara near the Pantheon. That should turn up with many positive comments in your search.
I have a file on Rome; if you'd like to see it, email me.

Old May 28th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Rex

From my answer to a similar question just a little bit ago:

Author: Rex ([email protected])
Date: 05/28/2002, 04:32 pm

But make sure you go to www.venere.com - - quite possibly the only web site you will need, to window shop, check availability and rates, make inquiries, book reservations or do online cancellations - - all seem to work efficiently and flawlessly. Well, all execpt the inquiry function - - I have occasionally had a hotel fail to respond to an inquiry for information. But I have never gotten bad information on availability, nor had a reservation screwed up, nor a cancellation (this might be the more important test!)

Best wishes,

Rex

Old May 29th, 2002, 09:36 PM
David K.

Rex,
I have seen some of your posts mentioning and praising the del Senato and Cesari. In one post you mentioned you stayed at del Senato, and wanted to stay at Cesari the last night but were not able to. I believe you subsequently did stay there. Another post you mentioned that for around 20 euros less, the Cesari would be fine. If price was exactly the same, would you have a preference? If Senato was 20 euros less, would you choose that? Finally, I note that the Cesari has non-smoking rooms, but Senato does not. I know that sometimes rooms in hotels that allow smoking still have lingering odor even when cleaned up. Any comments on the two hotels and your experience? Thanks.

Old May 30th, 2002, 07:18 AM
Rex

I have answered your question on your older "original" posting.

I can't compare price vs value - - and besides your contemporary info is all that matters anyhow. I stayed at the Cesari in 1999; single for me, double for my dad and his friend. All very satisfied.

I tried to book the Cesari again in May 2001 - - three double rooms on about five weeks' notice (short by my usual standards) and they did not have availability. As a result we stayed at del Senato - - got the rooms with only four days' notice (we changed, on the fly, from the Grand Hotel Plaza - - the trip was two nights Rome, then two nights Assisi, then two nights Venice, and two more nights Rome - - the stay at del Senato was at the tail end of the trip, canceling our return to the Grand Hotel Plaza).

I cannot quote you thr exact prices, and besides they were two years apart anyhow.

Both are equivalent, and very good hotels, though neither is 4-star luxury. Not 4-star priced (for Rome), either!

Old May 31st, 2002, 08:25 AM
up

up

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 04:46 AM
mike

My wife and I stayed at the Del Senato last fall and we simply can't emphasize how wonderful our stay was--aside from the marble bathroom and view of the Pantheon from our window, rooftop bar, etc., the service was incredible. I am still amazed this is a 3 star hotel, and would never consider staying anywhere else in Rome.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 06:36 PM
Tom

Another strong vote for del Senato.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 08:06 PM
Alice

I believe that del Senato can never get a rating above three stars because it does not have its own restaurant. But it sure does seem true that it must be the near the top of the litter for three star hotels in the Centro Storico.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 06:09 PM
DavidK.

Do the zip codes in Rome correspond to the areas like in Paris? In checking hotels, the zip codes are listed, but it is hard to tell if the hotel is in the area that I want (the historic center). Thanks.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 06:14 PM
Myer

Isn't it great that the same people keep recommending the same hotels. At least we're consistent.

Stayed at Santa Chiara last month.

Couldn't have been more satisfied with both the hotel and the location.