Search

Rome, Help!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2005, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome, Help!!

Hiya,

Well its all starting to get too much for me... I have spent a good half of the day on the net researching hotels for for our stay in Rome... I have actually read so many reviews of hotels that I have begun to get a little confused on whats good and whats not. Therefore I am calling on your help to make it all bit clearer for me!!

2 things really that I would like to know to help me out a bit -

* Where is the best / most central place to stay, keeping in mind my mum and I are first time visitors to the city and will be wanting to see all the sights etc.

* Also can anyone recommend some hotels, (price - middle range).

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 06:47 AM

I would recommend the Centro Storico(Historic Centre). You will be located close to Piazza Navona, Pantheon, Campo de Fiori and more. Do a search on this area as this might be exactly what you are looking for in terms of a "central place to stay".
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 06:48 AM

The most central area, from which you can walk to almost any point of interest in Rome, is the Campo de Fiori/
Pantheon/Piazza Navona area in the historical centre.

Some hotels in that area frequently used by posters here are the Del Senato, the Cesari, the Santa Chiara and two that are more bed-and-breakfast than hotel, Banchi Vecchi and Canali ai Coronari. As first-time visitors you may prefer a hotel with 24-hour service for information, recommendations, etc.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 08:06 AM
jgg

I recommend you stay in the Pantheon area and can strongly recommend Albergo Cesari.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 04:11 PM

I recommend that use use the search feature to read the many many threads about this topic.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 04:20 PM
rex

I assume that by "middle price" you mean... ummm... what? $200-$400? A day's wages for a double per night? The same as the cost of dinner for three? at what kind of restaurant? with what kind of wine?

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 05:12 PM

We know that this is your first post here, so welcome to the forum. Please tell us your price range and whether you and your mum will be sharing a room. Have you looked at the reviews of hotels on tripadvisor.com? That's a good place to get a fairly candid opinions. Also, have you done a search on this website for "Rome Hotels"? This question is asked daily with good suggestions.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 05:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can recommend Canali ai Coronari for its wonderful location, its nice rooms and its fairly reasonable price. Alhough I guess it is not a full service hotel, there was always someone at the desk (at least from 7AM to 10PM - beyond that I am not sure),daily maid service, and a nice breakfast buffet.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 05:51 PM

Have you heard of a website www.newtravelagent.com <http://www.newtravelagent.com>?

This site is really cool... they have cheap fares for airlines, hotels, cars for any destination you may want to travel to... The best part is they save you time that we generally waste researching the internet for good deals, they will do all the research and book the cheapest deals.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 05:54 PM

raghav's only postings have been today, and only to plug that website
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 05:56 PM

Raghav was repeatedly making that same post a few days ago on the Eurotrip forums.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 06:30 PM

I have lived in Rome. The Pantheon/P. Navona area is what you want. The Col./Forum area is more whizzing boulevards, and the party has moved on from the Via Veneto. The Spanish Steps are congested and soulless -- worth seeing, but not where you want to stay.

Get a "Time Out" restaurant guide for Rome and you'll be set.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 01:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help.

We're looking to spend about 200 Euro a night on a hotel. We're travelling in July and it's actually my mum, my aunty and I, in a triple room.

Thanks again for all your feedback, it's all been excellent and extreamly helpfull.

Am leaning towards staying at the Albergo Cesari. It looks to be the best hotel for us. Any further advice?

Old Apr 14th, 2005, 01:33 AM

May I suggest something a bit different? My wife and I stayed in a convent only one short block from Campo Fiori when we were in Rome for five nights last September. The convent is called Casa Santa Brigida. It is attached to the Santa Brigida church. It is a lovely facility run by the nuns of the same name. The rooms are spotlessly clean and have air conditioning. Breakfast is served each morning by the nuns in their own breakfast room. The convent is situated on the Piazza Farnese, which is a lovely, quiet piazza only steps from Campo Fiori and the hustle and bustle associated with it. The convent also has a beautiful rooftop terrace above the fourth floor of their building - very nice location to relax and sip some wine, look out over the rooftops of Rome, or gaze at the French embassy building next door.

We enjoyed our stay there and can recommend it to you. It is obviously a quiet place (read: no room parties) which is also something we enjoyed.

Whatever your choice, the advice about what area to choose your hotel in is correct. You will be delighted with the area and with Rome. We had a terrific time there.

Feel free to email me if you have other questions.

Dave Zemens
Rochester, Michigan
[email protected]
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 02:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Dave. I'll definatly suggest it to the others.

Is there a curfew at the convent?
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 06:33 AM

Just returned from our first trip to Italy! We stayed at Residenza Cellini at Via Modena, 5, one block off Via Nationale. It cost 165 euro per night (with Rick Steve's book) and had a great breakfast every AM.

Our room was a good size, nicely furnished, had a safe and very nice bath. The had prosecco in our room for our anniversary, had great restaurant suggestions and very friendly staff. They even put breakfast out an hour early for us the day we left.

We could walk to everything except Vatican city. The street the hotel was on was VERY quiet. We felt very comfortable there.

Hope this helps. I will be happy to offer any other info you need.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 07:20 AM

No curfew at the convent. You have an exterior door key and come and go as you please. The sisters close their reception desk at 10:000pm, I think, but you have no restrictions. It was a great place to stay in a terrific location.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 09:08 AM

We stayed at the 3-star Nord Nuova Roma. It is a block's walk away from Stazione Termini which gives you public transportation to everything in Rome. It is also a short walk to Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps from this hotel. We payed $150/night. The service was excellent, the rooms were good, and the rooftop cafe was perfectly charming for enjoying nightcaps in the warm Italian Nights. Also, there are day tours to other areas of Italy (we did one to Pompeii/Napoli) that pick you up at this hotel. Good luck with your trip.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 09:43 AM

Agree with other posters and particularly sangrail. Pantheon, Piazza Navona & Campo Fiori area is most centrally located. We stayed at Hotel Teatro di Pompeii and liked it because it was so centrally located and in the heart of a very Roman area. There are a lot of hotels in those areas. We will likely use Teatro di Pompeo again unless we try the convent which really sounded unique....thanks Dave.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 09:49 AM

Hotel Cesare is an excellent choice for the three of you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -