rome day trip ....off feet

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2007, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

am spending 8 days in rome with my mom who is 60 with not great knees. Any suggestions for a day trip that could be restful for her?? Perhaps the hydrofoil to sardenia?
ANy help is appreciated!!
lorriec
Old May 21st, 2007, 02:06 PM

Sardinia is much to far from Rome for a daytrip. People have done daytrips to Capri from Rome, but I don't consider the amount and type of travel involved to be relaxing. You could possibly take a bus out to Tivoli/Villa d'Este and walk around the gardens at a leisurely pace. There are many towns accessible by train from Rome that can be good daytrips but she will have to walk when you get to those towns. If you just want a long train trip to minimize walking and don't mind viewing the scenery from the train, you could take a train to Padua (about four hours) and at the station, take a short cabride to the Scrovegni Chapel. The old part of Padua is fairly compact and easy to walk around. Have a long lunch and then get back on the train to Rome.
Old May 21st, 2007, 02:12 PM

Sardinia????

You might consider a cruise on the Tiber (Tevere) River:

http://www.romeguide.it/pontidiroma/...iroma_eng.html
Old May 21st, 2007, 02:16 PM

Here is another site for the Tiber River cruises:

http://www.romeguide.it/tevere/tevereeng.htm
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:58 AM

Hi Lorrie - I you don't mind a long day travelling, the Amalfi Coast would be manageable IMO.

It's a relaxing train ride down to Salerno (2.5 hrs if you catch the 07.45 IC).

From there you can see the coast by ferry, with stops at Amalfi and Positano - where you could have lunch by the beach.

There's a bus back from Positano to Rome in high season about 16.00 (- approx 4 hrs) - or you could return from Naples by train.

A long day ... but most of it sitting, and well worth it IMO.

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:43 AM

What about a day trip to Orvieto? It's an hour by train from. Take the vinicular up to the top (avoiding the steep incline) and from there it's pretty flat. It's a nice break from busy Rome.

In Rome use the hop on/off bus.
Old May 25th, 2007, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your responses! I am looking into someoptions but I do not see a Tiber cruise that is longer than 90 minutes. Is that right?
Gratzie!
Ciao.
Lorrie
Old May 25th, 2007, 08:45 AM

When I took my mom last spring I also wanted to do a day trip, but she has mobility issues, as well.

So, I hired Stefano at Rome Cabs to take us to Anguillara, Bracciano, and Ceri for the day, as well as to the Etruscan tombs. It was a lovely day and a nice contrast to the busyness of Rome.

http://www.utenti.lycos.it/romecabs/
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 09:31 AM

I did the Tiber river cruise this summer and even with a history degree it left a lot to be desired. You cannot really see what you want as the walls are so high they distort things from the boat-that and the heat and the "droning on" of the english speaking audio guide made me wish that I had stayed in the wine bar longer.
They supposedly have a cruise that will take you out to Ostia Antica for a longer period of time but have not met anyone who has done it.