Day tours from Rome

Aug 6th, 2003, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Day tours from Rome

Hi,
I'm going to Italy next month for my honeymoon. We are spending 6 days in Rome and would be interested in maybe taking a day trip to the Sienna area and the Amalfi Coast. We are not renting a car and I think the Aamlfi Coast would be kind of hard to see if we just took a train there. Does anyone know of some good and reasonably-priced tour companies for these side trips?

Thank you!
Aug 6th, 2003, 11:17 AM

Hi:

I don't remember any names of companies.
But last year from Rome I took 2 tours. One to Villa Adrian and Este (I dont really remember those names either- sorry). But they were summer retreat castles for the kings. Beautifull gardens, the most spectacular water fountains you have seen!!! And the other tour was to see Castel Gandolfo where the Pope was at for the summer. I found that tour company at the tourist info ctr in Rome. It's last minute but they can help you out there. I went to Sienna & San Gimianno on a day tour but from Florence - so can't help you there. I did go to the Amalfi Coast by train but for a week departing from Rome. If you could stay over for about 2 nights or so it would be worth it! (Recom: Capri & Positano)
Aug 6th, 2003, 12:10 PM
Intrepid

There are several companies in Rome which run day tours to Villa D'Este, etc., and if you don't get the info you need here your hotel will be able to supply information..sometimes in a brochure or brochure which describes the various tour options and prices so you can pick and choose.

Aug 7th, 2003, 03:48 AM

Pamela - The Amalfi Coast and Siena are not tours which are offered by any of the Rome Bus Tour companies, - but they are both manageable independantly.

There is a direct bus service (operator: Lazzi) between Rome (Tiburtina) and Siena - or you can go by train with a change at CHIUSI. Journey time is about 3 hours.

For the Amalfi Coast the best way is by train and ferry/hydrofoil. You'd need to make an early start.

(There is a Rome-Positano/Amalfi bus service - but this is much slower and wouldn't allow you much sightseeing time).

You could take an early train to Naples and catch the 08.50 Metro del Mare hydrofoil to Positano (arr.09.50). From there you could continue by ferry or bus later in the day via Amalfi to SALERNO - from where you can catch a return train to Rome.

Or you could do it in reverse: catch an early train to SALERNO, continue by ferry to Amalfi and Positano, then catch the hydrofoil at
Aug 7th, 2003, 03:54 AM

Pamela - The Amalfi Coast and Siena are NOT tours which are offered by any of the Rome Bus Tour companies, - but they are both manageable independantly.

There is a direct bus service (operator: Lazzi) between Rome (Tiburtina) and Siena - or you can go by train with a change at CHIUSI. Journey time is about 3 hours.

For the Amalfi Coast the best way is by train and ferry/hydrofoil. You'd need to make an early start.

(There is a Rome-Positano/Amalfi bus service - but this is much slower and wouldn't allow you much sightseeing time).

You could take an early train to Naples and catch the 08.50 Metro del Mare hydrofoil to Positano (arr.09.50). From there you could continue by ferry later in the day to Amalfi, then on to SALERNO - from where you can catch a return train to Rome.

Or you could do it in reverse: catch an early train to SALERNO, continue by ferry to Amalfi and on to Positano.
From Positano you could then catch the hydrofoil at 17.35 back to Naples - from where you can catch a return train to Rome.

You can find train times on
www.trenitalia.it

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Aug 7th, 2003, 04:29 AM

IMO, a day trip to the Amalfi coast is not a good way to spend the day, and you will actually see little of the coast. The drive from Rome will take you about 2.5 hours to get to Naples, and then another 3 hours to drive up and down the famous coast through Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi and up to Ravello. (The train from Rome to Naples takes about the same time.) So the round trip, without stopping for lunch, walking any of the charming towns, shopping, and without any traffic would take about 9 hours. As you are going in a peak season, traffic will definitely be a factor on the Amalfi Coast portion.

Now you can see why most people don't try to do this as a day trip. The coast really deserves a few days on its own. You will not see a sunrise or sunset, both a treat on the coast, especially the sunrise over the sea. Another draw back of a day trip you is that you could not see Pompeii or take a ferry to Capri. (Or you could see one of the two, but would have to sacrifice the Amalfi Coast drive, which is fabulous and really the whole point of the trip.) If you really only have one day, stay in Rome where there is so much to see and do. Alternatively, extend your trip and spend at least 3 days on the coast.
Aug 8th, 2003, 02:59 AM

Cicerone - I agree it's not viable by road. But the ferry rides along the coast are a fast, relaxing and thoroughly enjoyable way to see the coast, and leave you plenty of time to visit Amalfi and Positano - and have lunch.

The train Rome-Salerno takes 2hours 30'. Rome-Naples is about 1 hr 50' by ES.

With an early start you can be in Amalfi or Positano by about 10.00 and have several hours on the coast. I've done it several times ...

Steve
Aug 8th, 2003, 04:35 AM

Green line tours book thru hotel 1/2 the price of other companies they were excellent and inforative about $78.00 per person compared to Gray line tours $150.00 per person for the same itienary Naples ,Pompeii Hotle pick up and drop off