Rome and Venice in January

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are in the process of planning a trip in January. Can anyone comment on the weather in these two cities. Also, want are the ADVANTAGES and DISADVANTAGES of traveling to Italy this time of year????

Thanks
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 04:57 PM

Danimal, Venice will be cold, rainy etc. I am not saying not to go but just be prepared mentally, with proper cold winter clothing etc.

Rome will be cold, probably raining.

If this is the only time you can go, and really want to go, than I would.

Just know there won't be sitting outside in sunny cafe's etc.

Also, do not know if you are flying in or out of Venice but if you are be prepared for delays due to fog, bad weather conditions. Important to keep in mind if you have a plane connection elsewhere.

Advantages are much less tourist for sure.

If you go have a beautiful trip.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 05:12 PM

Danimal,
I often travel to Europe around Christmas to visit family and I think it's a great time for a holiday. However, I agree with Loveitaly that you have to be prepared for inclement weather.

I was in Venice this January and in Rome two Decembers ago. WE encountered great weather in Rome...not guarenteed but it can happen. You could sit out at the pavement cafes for lunch.

Venice was far greyer but the weather was at least dry...there were far fewer tourists although there were lots of Italian visitors.

Hope that helps!
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 05:16 PM

I hope you've seen the recent TV footage about flooding in Venice -- I believe they said there were 18 inches of water in St. Mark's Square. Although they have raised wooden walkways in place, believe me, it can make it difficult to get around. That would be the biggest drawback for me. But as they say about Venice, see it before it sinks! I'd just pick a drier time of year.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 03:38 AM

I was in Venice on Boxing Day a few years ago & was the coldest I've ever been - and I live in Scotland !!
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 06:35 AM

Danimal,

I actually have a different response. I was in Rome, Florence and Venice in January 2004 on my honeymoon. We had wonderful weather in Rome - every day was sunny and the day temps were about 50 - 60 each day.

In Florence, the weather was cold and drizzly, but we saw pertty much everything we intended to.

Venice blew me away. The weather was gorgeous - sunny and it never rained while we were there. Granted, it was cold - probably in the 35 - 45 degree (F) range during the day.

However, we still ate gelato, we still saw the sights that were important to use and best of all, we didn't encounter lines at any point. We stayed in some fantastic 5 star hotels at a better rate than during peak season (thanks to my in-laws!). I think the only thing we missed out on was the Campanile in Piazza San Marco, it's closed for three weeks in January. We had a fantastic time and I'm sure you will too!