Reload this Page >

Venice by rail or rome be car??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 07:42 PM
Anne

Hello,<BR><BR>My husband and I will be in Rome for five days. It is a dream of mine to see Venice and ride in a gondola, but..<BR><BR>We checked the prices for taking the train from Rome to Venice and staying in Venice overnight. The little excursion to Venice would cost us about $600.00, without adding the cost of food while in Venice or the actual cost of the gondola ride.<BR><BR>We cannot decide if we should go for it and go to Venice OR if we should spend the money on a car rental in Rome and tour some cities (and countryside in between) that are a little closer than Venice. (i.e. Florence)<BR><BR>Does anyone have any advice on other things to see in Venice or other things to see around Rome?<BR><BR>Thanks!!<BR><BR>~Anne

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 07:55 PM
Veneziamore

<BR><BR>Anne, if it's a dream of yours to see Venice, and you're not sure when you'll return to Italy, then I'd highly recommend going there. Venice is enchanting; there is no other city even close to it in Europe. <BR><BR>Is seeing Venice also a dream of your husband's, or does he not care much one way or another?

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 09:04 PM
Anne

Hi,<BR><BR>Thanks for your response!<BR><BR>I don't think my husband really cares either way.<BR><BR>It seems like a very expensive proposition, but like I said, it really is a dream of mine.<BR><BR>Are there a lot of other things to see in the surrounding areas of Rome?<BR><BR>~Anne

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 01:25 AM
Steve James

Anne - Have you considered travelling overnight? That way it becomes an inexpensive proposition - you save on the cost of a hotel and don't lose valuable sightseeing time travelling. <BR><BR>Just a thought ...<BR><BR>Steve

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 04:32 AM
Nancy

Anne, I think you posted another question here and said you were going to Italy at the end of this month (Jan). Average temperatures in Venice in January are 36°F, with a maximum average temperature of 42°F. It can be below freezing as well. It often rains in Venice in the winter. I don't think you would enjoy Venice -- especially the gondola ride -- in winter.<BR><BR>There is so much to see and do in Rome in 5 days that you not even miss Venice. I think Rome is pretty magical too. Average temp in January is 45°F, with average maximum of 54°F. A little warmer than Venice, but still winter. However, I think it will be even more beautiful than in summer, with bare trees, and many fewer people in the streets. If you can sell your husband on Rome, it should be easy to then sell him on Venice in warmer weather….there is lots of good advice on this site about Rome. Run a search, and look at the Destination pages for Rome here as well.<BR>

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 05:22 AM
blue

I agree with both posters who siad the if it's your dream go for it! AND that it can be darn cold when you're thinking of going. <BR>If you're not put off by the weather, go. Venice is one of my favorite memories of all the places I have been in Europe, I'd go in 20 degree weather in heatbeart and I hate the cold! Do what works for you.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 05:57 AM
Ira

Hi Anne,<BR> You wrote,&gt;The little excursion to Venice would cost us about $600.00, without adding the cost of food while in Venice or the actual cost of the gondola ride.&lt;<BR> Don't see why. Trenitalia quotes train fare as 90E 2 cl or 134E 1st cl RT on the ES*. Add $150 for a room brings it to 420E. <BR>