Dividing time between Rome and Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 11:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a combination fifth anniversary/thank you trip for my husband who has spent the last five months caring for me after I was hit by a car. Not including air travel, we will be in Italy for eight nights. I am thinking of five nights in Rome, and three in Venice. Does this seem like a fair division of time? Also of concern, one of those days in Venice will be a national holiday (Immaculate Conception)- meaning a long weekend for the locals and possibly additional closures. Any advice would be appreciated as I have never been to Italy. Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 03:38 AM

Given the time you have, I think 5/3 is a reasonable split.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 04:12 AM
ira

Hi K,

Glad you have recovered.

What a nice "Thank you".

5/3 is just what I was thinking.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 04:29 AM

Hi
Congratulations on your recovery.
I'd also suggest the 5-3 split, with
arrival in Rome, and flying home from Venice.

As for the holiday in Venice, I wouldn't worry too much. To me, Venice is more about walking and just being there than it is about sightseeing.

I have files on those cities; if you 'd like to see them, email me at
[email protected]
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 04:30 AM
RJD

It seems reasonable but you should be aware that with its traffic and noise Rome can be tiring. Venice is significantly less stressful. You may want to factor that into your thinking about dividing the trip between the two places. Should you decide to spend more time in Venice, you won't regret it.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 05:01 AM

I can relate to RJD on this one. I did the 5-3 split my first time to Rome/Venice and I regretted not allowing one more day for Venice. By the 4th day in Rome, I wanted out. I had grown significantly more tired and began to dislike the sound of mopeds and the smell of car fumes. I walked everywhere and went to many museums. My days started at 7 AM and they didn't end until 11 PM. I couldn't get enough. By day 5, I was depleted and could barely move. The moment I stepped foot in Venice, I revived and had the most relaxing 3 days. I was so relaxed I hated to leave. I kept saying, if only I had one more day. Given the fact that you plan to visit Venice during a holiday, you will lose one full day of interior touring and some shopping. If I were you, I'd to a 50-50 split.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 08:10 AM

Since it is an anniversary pick up a copy of One Thousand Days in Venice there are some ideas for romantic pic- nics etc. in Venice. We were there only two days last month at I feel shortchanged!
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 08:32 AM

I think you should be counting days not nights. Keep in mind you will lose a chunk of one day getting from Rome to Venice. Does this mean on your 5/3 scenario you'll really only have 2 days in Venice, one of which is a national holiday? Not ideal IMO. It appears all shops will be closed. Not sure about museums, restaurants etc. While I agree Venice is about "being there," I think you'll feel cheated if everything is shut.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 09:01 AM

Hi, Glad you're better now and how wonderful to have such a supportive husband.

Having been to Rome and Venice a couple of times each, I think you should concentrate on only one of them. I agree with previous posters about the noise, traffic, and general confusion in Rome. One way to avoid that is to have enough time in Rome to be able to spend "down time" and visit the quiet sections. Surprisingly, there are quite a few quiet sections in Rome.

Splitting the time would require most of one day traveling from Rome to Venice. That combined with only 7 days of travel (based on 8 nights) would give you too little time in each city - really only a day and a half in Venice.

My vote would be to spend the week in Rome because it's winter and there will be more indoor things to do and more than enough to fill a week. Venice, to me, says lots of walking in the warmer weather, taking the vaporettos and more outdoor things to do.

Whatever your choice, have a really great time!

Old Nov 4th, 2003, 09:30 AM

We were in Rome the first week in December last year, in cluding Imacualte Conception, and we will be there again this December.

Don't worry about Rome being noisy or crowded. This is one of the least crowded times in Rome, and it is lovely. The old part of Rome is decorated for Christmas - lots of tiny white lights strung over the streets, many nativity scenes, the Christmas market at Piazzza Navona, special music performances.

Be sure to stay close to piazza Navona or the Pantheon- then you can easily walk everywhere.

As for Venice, we have been there in November, and it is cold and not as inviting as at other times of the year. Because it is by the water, you get a cold damp wind a lot of the time. Your transportation choices are either walking or boat- brrr! I love Venice, but three days is probably enough unless you are there at a time when the weather is warmer.

This year we will spend 7 days in Rome and 3 in Assisi which is an hour and a half train ride away from Rome. We will be there - Assisi- for the special bonfire celebration and feast for the Immaculate Conception.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 09:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the insight. I'll plan to spend more time in Rome. Wesley, I'm not discounting your advice, but I'll need extra time to see Rome as I had a foot reattached due to the accident. Have already gotten the info on several motor tours from this sight. Anyone have a preferred vespa rental? I'll be staying near the Termini. Again, thanks.
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 02:47 AM
ira

Hi KW,

Please rethink adding time to Rome and decreasing Venice.

You do not have to see everything there is to see and do everything there is to do in Rome on one trip.

I see that you are even planning tours from Rome to elsewhere. Please ask yourself if, for example, visiting Pompeii for a day is better than visiting Venice for a day.

I also strongly advise against renting a moto in Rome. You have to have been born there to be able to do it safely.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip.
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 02:52 AM

Whichever way you decide will be great. Rome is my wife's favorite but she also liked Venice. My favorites so far in Italy have been Rome AND Venice!

You won't be wrong whichever way you go. We spent a week in Rome and on our next trip to Italy (northern Italy) we included 3 nites in Venice.

I guess it depends if you plan on going back to Italy again. Even if you do, I think splitting the two cities, 5-3 or 4-4 will work well for you.

The main thing is you will most certainly love both of them. And you will probably wind up wishing you could have spent a MONTH in each!!!

They are both very special places!!

Have fun!!

Happy trails.

Old Nov 5th, 2003, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

Ira, I wouldn't think of driving in Rome. I meant that I will be renting a car and driver to take us around the city for one or two of the days since walking long distances is troublesome.
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 04:26 AM
ira

Hi K,

Sorry I misunderstood, but you mentioned Vespa, which is a motor scooter.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 12:32 AM
Original Poster

Oh ... then you didn't misunderstand that part. I hadn't considered a vespa as a dangerous thing and assumed you meant car driving. So, to clarify, scooter could be a bad choice of transit for tourists? Gotcha.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 04:29 AM
ira

Hi K,

"So, to clarify, scooter could be a bad choice of transit for tourists?"

Yes. Not recommended.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 02:23 PM

What about 6 nights in Italy?? How would you split it up between Venice and Rome? (Rome 1st) (The last night we have to fly to AMsterdam to catch an am flight on Sun to US).
Thanks,
Laura