Romantic Road help requested

Feb 11th, 2018, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Romantic Road help requested

In May we are taking a river cruise from Budapest and ending in Germany near Passau (it actually is not Passau, but I cannot find the actual town -- it starts with a V -- two hours from Munich). Our plan is to arrive in Budapest a few days early, do the river cruise, and then spend another few days. I had thought it would be nice to see some towns along/near the romantic road. (A different option would be to go to Prague which is four hours away). Would anyone have any thoughts on how many days and what highlights they would recommend with this Germany plan? We do not intend to rent a car but the romantic road buses do run at that time of year. Any ideas are most welcome since the itinerary is not set. Thank you!
Feb 11th, 2018, 07:08 AM

> but I cannot find the actual town -- it starts with a V -

That should be Vilshofen, a small town upstream from Passau. The port of V. is used by cruise ships if Passau is full (or if they want to save port fees). Please note that the train trip from Vilshofen to Rothenburg is 3 to 4 hours and the rest of the RR is difficult to access from there. The RR bus runs once a day and it's stops in the single towns are way too short for exploring them. I'd rather consider historical towns in the lower / upper Bavaria area like Straubing, Regensburg (with a day trip Kehlheim, the Danube breakthrough and the Weltenburg Abbey), Landshut, and Passau itself. Please tell us how much time you have so that we can give more preciese suggestions.

BTW, the trip frim Vilshofen to Prague is four hours only if you use a private shuttle (approx. €200 to 250 if you book a Czech one). By train it takes 6 - 7 hours.

Last edited by sla019; Feb 11th, 2018 at 07:15 AM.
Feb 11th, 2018, 08:02 AM

Yes I'd go to Prague and not Romantic Road - unless driving yourselves. Trains are great in Germany - check www.bahn.de/en for schedules - towns sla019 mentions are really nice - Regensburg IMO especially so and Passau, uniquely situated at confuence of three rivers. For where to go by train in those parts check www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.seat61.com.

Some towns on Romantic Road are really nice like Rothenburg especially (though heavily touristed) but the Romantic Road itself is IME a busy road and anything but romantic.
Feb 11th, 2018, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much! The amount of time we have is 3-4 days. I like the idea of seeing towns that are closer to the area where we will disembark although we will see Passau and Regensburg on the river cruise.As wonderful as Prague is, it would take us a lot of time to get there. But we need a major city -- Prague or Munich to fly out of anyway so working our plans near that city is equally doable.
Feb 11th, 2018, 12:32 PM

The Romantic Road bus stops for mere moments in most of the RR towns and the route is not especially scenic. Don't get sucked in. I'd be sure to visit Nuremberg if you're going to Prague - it's a small detour but spend a few days there and you can also visit another town or two in the area. Rothenburg on the Romantic Road could be one of those. Bamberg's old town is spectacular. Great sights and great beer pubs too:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamber...ite_bridge.jpg
https://www.europeanbeerguide.net/bambpubs.htm
Romantic Road help requested-a_0137_0007-a.jpg
Feb 11th, 2018, 01:24 PM

If you stick to those towns folks above recommend you can go between them dirt cheap by using the bargain Bavarian Pass (Ticket?) that lets you ride regional trains all day as much as you want for about 35 euros for all of yous. No need for car. Bamberg was also one of my favorite German cities - besected by rushing river as I recall.

Nurnberg great too and if into Third Reich relics Nurnberg has the largest collection of intact Nazi remains anywhere in the area around Hitler's old parade grounds just south of town - there is the staidum with balcony from which the Fuhrer once famously reviewed goose-stepping troops - that wide parade grounds are largely in tact too with other stadiums and a memorial/museum documenting the Nazi Era and its horrific aspects.

Regensburg is said to have more intact historically old buildings than just about any city in Germany I read.

3 wnderful towns to explore from one nearby base.

and Rothenburg is close enough to and has train service.
Feb 11th, 2018, 03:43 PM

I should have mentioned that day trips for two adults from Nuremberg to Rothenburg or Bamberg and back will cost only €20 per day. The Nuremberg transit area includes these two towns on its day pass - the Tagestticket Plus - which you can buy at a ticket machine in Nuremberg on the day of travel.

The Tagesticket Plus has two additional advantages - you can use it before 9 am on weekdays - and if you buy it on Saturday, the same ticket is valid on Sunday too.
https://www.vgn.de/en/tickets/all-day-ticket-plus/

The Bayern Ticket (Bavarian Day pass) which you might use for other trips, is still a good deal but you cannot board until 9 am on weekdays.
Munich Tourist Information

Both are valid on the local and regional trains (no high-speed trains.)
Feb 12th, 2018, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for this information! We are now inclined to stick fairly close to Nuremberg and see interesting towns and cities near there. Of course we will need to fly out of an airport so I assume the closest large airport would be Munich.

The train info is fantastic! I will double check that more as we nail down our plans.
Feb 13th, 2018, 08:06 AM

Munich Airport is rather close to Nurnberg and would be the closest international airport I think.
Feb 13th, 2018, 08:43 AM

> will need to fly out of an airport so I assume the closest large airport would be Munich.

Timewise, there is not much difference. You can make it to Munich airport in 2 hours if you can manage a quick transfer at Munich Hbf. But with bigsuitcases I'd factor in another 10 min. ICE's from Nürnberg go to Frankfurt airport directly in 2:35. BTW, you may want to check flights from Nuremberg (always with a transfer in Frankfurt); the airport is easily accessible by U-Bahn (U2) in 12 minutes.
Feb 13th, 2018, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much! We get off the cruise at Vilshofen and are thinking of seeing some German cities in that area before heading to and leaving from Prague. We will see Regensburg on our river cruise so thought we might head to Nuremberg and see Bamberg (and check into the other towns listed above). And then our thought is to head to Prague. Any suggestions on this itinerary is appreciated.

Should we use the Tagesticket in Germany? What transportation is suggested from Nuremberg to Prague? I seem to have read the bus is actually quicker than the train on that route.

Thanks for taking the time to help.
Feb 13th, 2018, 10:38 AM

> We are now inclined to stick fairly close to Nuremberg and see interesting towns and cities near there.

For the historical city of Nürnberg, you can find an introductory itinerary here: Cities on the Danube (rd posting). The most convenient access to the nazi rally grounds is by tram no. 6 & 8 (not 9, as you can read in older postings) from the main station. Do not let yourself be fooled by guides who claim they could show you where Hitler once spoke: those rally grounds were never finished and the actual rallies toke place in nearby Luitpoldhain, where nothing of the nazi buildings has been left. So I'd concentrate on Hitler's unfinished congress hall which is the best example of that megalomanic and depressing nazi architecture you can find (the city front is not that different from the fascist EUR architecture in Rome, it's the sinister back front you might want to study). Inside there is an informative exhibition on the raise of the nazi party, larger and better organized than the better known one in Munich (you will be given and audio guide).

Accomodation: Budget: Keiml or Probst (Luitpoldstrasse; not far from the station; simple, no elevator but run by very caring families); medium priced: Steichele, Knorrstr. 2 - historical hotel with a great wine tavern; Agneshof or Dürerhotel, near the castle. A bit upscale but sometimes with good offerings: Saxx on the main market - request a room with view on the market. Expensive: Le Méridien at the station. Numerous chain hotels around the station, including NH, Holdyday Inn, Motel One (2x), IC hotel, B&B, Ibis, Maritim.

Food: Frankonian: Steichele (s. above), Heilig Geist Spital (in the medieval hospital), several inns around the castle; a good Indian restaurant is at the beginning of the Königsstrasse opposite the station; numerous Italian and Chinese restaurants al over the city; a list of popular beer gardens can be found here: http://www.nordbayern.de/region/nuer...en-biergarten- in-nurnberg-1.3024142. Avoid the pseudo-Bavarian beer halls on the Königsstrasse and the »Bratwurst-«somethings around the town hall - I do not want you to keep my city in bad memory.

Day trips: as suggested above Bamberg (mayby including either Schloss Seehof or the marvelous Roccoco church of Vierzehnheiligen north of B.) and Rothenburg; Würzburg (beautifully situated at the Main river; splendid baroque residence; on your way back stop in the wine village of Iphofen), for a more relaxed day Bad Windsheim and Ansbach or Erlangen and Forchheim. Many other possibilities, just tell us what you are interested in.

All but Würzburg areaccessible with the VGN Tagesticket; Würzburg is outside the VGN area, so you would need a Bayern Ticket.

> What transportation is suggested from Nuremberg to Prague? I seem to have read the bus is actually quicker than the train on that route.

There are no direct trains from Nürnberg to Prague; you would have to transfer in Cheb or Schwandorf. There are direct IC busses which are somewhat faster. Personally, i like the train better (the route is much nicer and from Cheb it will carry a restaurant car serving Czech food and draught beer) and if you book well in advance on the e- shop of Czech Rail (CD = Czesky Drahy) it will be amazingly cheap (never buy a ticket involving a Czech train from the DB web site, which offers the international standard fare only).

Last edited by sla019; Feb 13th, 2018 at 10:55 AM.
Feb 13th, 2018, 10:50 AM

Interesting Hitler's box on the stadium I saw was not really where he spoke. Not sure where I got that but believed it! Still one can imagine a similar balcony. Great info from sla019.
Feb 13th, 2018, 02:12 PM

The VGN zone is a relatively small part of Bavaria.

Würzburg can be visited with the Bayern Ticket from Nuremberg - like all other towns in Bavaria - Here's a rail map for all of Bavaria:

Streckennetz_Bayern_2012.pdf

Bamberg, Rothenburg, and 2 more outstanding options - Iphofen and Bad Windsheim - are all in the VGN zone and can be reached on the Tagesticket Plus.

Last edited by Fussgaenger; Feb 13th, 2018 at 02:24 PM.
Feb 13th, 2018, 02:14 PM

Skip

Last edited by Fussgaenger; Feb 13th, 2018 at 02:19 PM.
Feb 13th, 2018, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

This is so great -- I will be on again when plans are set more. Thanks for the tip on the CD rail site. I couldn't seem to figure out what train we would be taking from Nuremberg, though. this help is much appreciated.
Feb 14th, 2018, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by burry View Post
I couldn't seem to figure out what train we would be taking from Nuremberg, though. this help is much appreciated.
Well, I should have mentioned that both the DB and the CD sites tend to hide the train connections in favour of their commonly run and faster busses. To bring up the train connections you have to request an intermediate stop in Cheb (there are alternative connections via Furth im Wald but due to constructions between Furth i. W. and Plzen they are inconventionet in May).. While the bus is faster, the train gives you the opportunity to make an intermediate stop in either Cheb (much underrated) or in the spa of Marianske Laszne with it's glorious belle epoque buildings.

When booking one of those cheap tickets on the CD site; don't forget to request the appropriate intermediate stop and the time span desired since those tickets are train specific. You can get rid of the binding to specific trains by paying a little more: Buy a "Bayern-Böhmen-Ticket" in Nürnberg (available from any vending machine), which covers you until Plzen (€28/one, €34.60/two; usable on any regional train after 9am) and book an additional regular ticket from Plzen to Praha (ca. €4.50/one) at the Czech web site. All methods of buying tickets are described at the web site of the "man in seat 61" under "Germany/travel from Germany to ...". Just note that the "Prag Spezial" ticket he mentions requires you to use an ALEX train (a DB competitor) via Furth im Wald, which would be inconvenient or even impracticable for your travel date.

Last edited by sla019; Feb 14th, 2018 at 01:26 AM.
Feb 14th, 2018, 12:09 PM

Man in Seat 61= www.seat61.com.

Search this Thread